Skip to content

Im stuck in Suldenessalar Dragon

Its my Thief, Dorn and Viconia in Suldenessalar and I have literally been destroying everything in game. I haven't fought this dragon with a group before. Last time my friend helped me beat it so I just don't see it being possible. Dorn is hasted with my main character but I don't have enough time to poison through his stoneskin with Dorns imbue weapon ability.

I tried reasoning with the piece of shit. I tried taking all of my belongings off to bribe the tool but he doesnt want anything.

Is there any other way to defeat him? Dragons are 50 times the size of me, why on earth should they be allowed to cast stoneskin.

My thief deals 15-18 damage in melee and has a -5 of ac, Dorn has -5 ac with 17-28 damage and Viconia has
-10 ac with 11-17 damage.

There's got to be another way to beat him. Im not restarting, Im not going back to another save. If this party can't work than the game isn't worth the time.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    If you've been running a party of 3 the whole game, what level are you? Do you have HLAs like Whirlwind or Hardiness with Dorn and maybe Summon Fallen Deva with Viconia? These will probably help a lot. If not, are you buffing with things like Remove Fear and Protection from Evil 10' Radius?
  • DKnightDKnight Member Posts: 307
    Na, they changed the fights in the game. Original BG 2 I stomped on a large amount of these bosses and dragons without problems. I killed this dragon with a solo monk in BG 2. In this game, he is not only stronger and more powerful but he casts haste. The last version didn't, wtf. The games are already hard enough. Jeez..
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    Ah nevermind... I didn't realise they made BG 2 EE harder.
    Its not the same. This version is harder. There were a large amount of bosses in EE version that are impossibly hard to face. Torgal from the dearnise keep I had to avoid because they fucking doubled his health.
    Omg that's ridiculous... BG 2 EE should be do-able without powergaming. This encourage those 18/18/18 stat lines and cheesy tactics even more.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I wiped the floor with this dragon, I and a full party of 6 with over 3 million XP each, that's why I asked what level you were. If you have HLA access (I did, with double the party size), you should be able to kick its scaly behind rather thoroughly. Even if they increased its health, this is the only dragon you actually have to fight.
    edited December 2013
    Well since they made it impossible Im done with this game. I can't go back as I don't feel like it. It was fun up until this part.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    You still have not answered his question. What level are you. Do you have HLA access. Stop crying and try being helpful to yourself and answer the questions so people can help you. Holy hell.
    edited December 2013
    I am level 19 for my thief. Dorn is level 16, Viconia is 17. The only way to beat the dragon is to use traps and then let dorn poison and beat on the thing. I didn't think it would that tough though so I didn't invest points into traps. I specialized in Trap disarm, lock pick, Stealth. I should have used traps for my points. I don't have HLA access. Last time I didn't with my solo character.
    edited December 2013
    Ok I am a noobie so I guess there's tactics that I dunno about that would allow such a party to beat that dragon in BG 2 Vanilla... but it sounds as if not only do you only have 3 party members, none of whom is a mage, you also rushed through a lot of the game and arrived at Suldanesselar kinda underpowered. I mean I didn't do all the quests I could have and didn't go to Watcher's Keeper, but still arrived in Suldanesselar with almost 3M experience for Charname in a 6 man party.

If you are enjoying the game, why not play more of it so that you're party is at a reasonable level for the endgame? I don't know how that dragon has been made tougher in EE, but it sounds as if a few Breach spells would've been handy... It sounds as if u've just set the bar perhaps unrealistically high tbh.

Ok I am a noobie so I guess there's tactics that I dunno about that would allow such a party to beat that dragon in BG 2 Vanilla... but it sounds as if not only do you only have 3 party members, none of whom is a mage, you also rushed through a lot of the game and arrived at Suldanesselar kinda underpowered. I mean I didn't do all the quests I could have and didn't go to Watcher's Keeper, but still arrived in Suldanesselar with almost 3M experience for Charname in a 6 man party.

If you are enjoying the game, why not play more of it so that you're party is at a reasonable level for the endgame? I don't know how that dragon has been made tougher in EE, but it sounds as if a few Breach spells would've been handy... It sounds as if u've just set the bar perhaps unrealistically high tbh.

I would have done the other character's quests but its too tedious to get 1/2 level of experience per side quest. It takes too long. The game is fun but I'd rather not do nalia's and everyones side quests as they don't warrant the exp. If they gave good exp I would do them however they don't. Watchers keep is probably too high in level otherwise I would do them.

Baldurs Gate 1 I could finish in 25 hours. Thats a reasonable time for a game.
    I'm just sitting here shaking my head...

But on a helpful note. Did you try lowering the difficulty to easy? Maybe stealth and run up and open with a backstab? If viconia has level seven spell access, memorize finger or death and shoot that off right away and keep reloading until it lands.
    stygga said:

I'm just sitting here shaking my head...

But on a helpful note. Did you try lowering the difficulty to easy? Maybe stealth and run up and open with a backstab? If viconia has level seven spell access, memorize finger or death and shoot that off right away and keep reloading until it lands.

Why are you shaking your head? I didn't mess up that bad, did I? I usually beat this game solo within 25 hours. I find a class that can do it and I do it. I beat BG 2 regular with a Fighter/thief, an assassin, a monk, and a bounty hunter.

This is the first time playing the game with a party without anyones advice.

• enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I read the title and imagined a poor constipated dragon :(
    DKnight
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I just fake-talked him, honestly. He didn't kill a single party member but he did annoy with Entangle. Horrid Wilting with Breach + Lower Resistance is a killer combo
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Traps? Even if you don't have the HLA yet the standard set with a night of resting for a second round will help. Mob him with skeletons from Vic and dispel him. Potions of speed, invulnerability for the saving throw bonus, cleric buffs also on your skellies etc. goes eithout saying.

And btw., if you play at half recommended party strength you can hardly blame the game for being too difficult :)
    Well most of the time playing with a party is always harder for me. I like the interaction but my character is useful and the rest is just dead weight.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    the Dragon initiates dialogue if you get too close and don't fake-talk first, so setting traps up for it is pretty damn hard, since it would be all the way across the map. If you could somehow stealth it, then yeah it should get done rather quickly.
    edited December 2013

the Dragon initiates dialogue if you get too close and don't fake-talk first, so setting traps up for it is pretty damn hard, since it would be all the way across the map. If you could somehow stealth it, then yeah it should get done rather quickly.

Setting up traps is easy. I set 4 traps right at the entrance with my assassin. Rested and set 4 more. From there with the boots of speed and a potion that allows me to super haste, I summoned 1 creature. Me and the creature charged over there and my character was so fast that I was able to hit the dragon before he could talk. From there he talks and I let him come after me and run into the traps. He then dies.
    DKnight said:

Well most of the time playing with a party is always harder for me. I like the interaction but my character is useful and the rest is just dead weight.

Hmm... tooled to the max, I can imagine the odd situation where a single godly Charname would be easier, but in general, I would hope that the game rewards players for playing in the way it was intended, and that's in the company of a party of NPCs. I am pretty sure that is indeed the case.

I maybe wrong, but it sounds as if you might've just abused exploits and solo'd your way to victories in the past, if you have never bothered to play the game with a party, and get used to using them as a team, protecting the weaker members, distributing equipment, etc etc...

As Skaffen said, you can't blame the game for being too hard if you can't be bothered to play it in the way it was designed.
    DKnight
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Just curious, why you dont have a mage? Just go grab any mage NPC who can cast level 5 magic (Edwin, Nalia, Imoen), buy a Chain Contingency scroll, Lower Resistance Scroll and Power Word Blind scroll. Then you have 6 rounds of the dragon sitting there wondering why it is dying.
    I wont blame the game for being too hard. Im just used to winning on 1st or 2nd try with the setup that works. I beat Baldurs Gate 1 EE 6 times with a few 2 man parties and the last one was my shadow dancer and Imoen. I think what it is that I haven't figured out dragons tactics so I just buff up, summon up and bum rush but that doesnt work unless a glitch is there.

I will revert to later save and level until I am stronger. Is watchers keep to high for lvl 19?

Oh and I am sorry to have wasted everyone's time being a pain in the ass.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    edited December 2013
    I didn't notice any difference between boss fights in BG2EE and BG2. The Suldanesselar dragon isn't much different from Firkraag, did you beat him? Dragons have always cast stoneskin and haste, fortunately there are plenty of ways to get through stoneskin and a party of three should have HLAs to spam by that point in the game.

This was actually the easiest dragon fight in the game for me, since by that point I had access to almost every spell in the game, had great equipment, and had my dragon strategy down. How did you defeat the Shadow Dragon and Firkraag?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    It wouldn't really work in your situation because Viconia would need three castings of it for it to kill that dragon but Fire Storm (level 7 spell) ignores magic resistance and if you cast it outside of a dragon's sight they sometimes won't clue into the fact that you've cast it. That dragon has 20% fire resistance, so it would absorb some of the fire damage, but most of it would get through.
    Eudaemonium
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    DKnight said:

Well since they made it impossible Im done with this game. I can't go back as I don't feel like it. It was fun up until this part.

BG2 is orders of magnitude more difficult if you don't have a mage in your party. A single mage on debuff/dispel duty could strip that overgrown, scaly lizard of its protections. WIthout a mage, you're pretty much up shit creek without a paddle.

Also, if you've been running a 3-man party, you ought to have HLAs. Have you done Watchers' Keep? If not, do it, loot everything, and then try the dragon again. Honestly, I have no clue how you're having trouble with it in the first place. Your thief ought to have access to spell scrolls (via its HLA), so you should be able to pre-buff your party. You can even Stoneskin yourself.

I feel you're running a very unoptimized, hamstrung party composition, which is the main reason behind your inability to kill the dragon. I'm not trying to rip on you or anything, but you can't expect the game's encounters to scale according to your own inefficient tactics and gear choices. This isn't Oblivion, mobs do not scale to your level.

If the game is too hard, experiment with alternate tactics.

If that's something you don't want to do, then quit.

BG2EE will not (nor should), hold your hand.
  • Dragons in general have changed in BG2EE. They've gotten smarter, in general. Now they do things like casting Remove Magic, instant-cast Death Spell the first time they see a summon (although they only cast it once, so you can trick it by summoning a bunch of stuff and then sending in a single sacrifice), and constantly rebuffing themselves on higher difficulties.

As @TvrtkoSvrdlar (wow what a handle) said, your party is far from optimized. Mage combat is pretty core to the BG2 experience, and every dragon is a mage. Not having one on your side is always going to make life a heckuva lot harder. It's still doable with your setup, but it will require being sneakier and more creative with your tactics.

Slight Watcher's Keep spoiler:
    The EE added an 'Unholy Reaver' called Ir'revrykal in the fourth level of Watcher's Keep. It's a slightly less powerful version of Carsomyr, but the key is that it still dispels on hits which means Dorn would be able to take the dragon's Stoneskin down much faster.
  • Hmm. I guess by the time I got to him, I'd already fought several (Firkraag etc) so I was just assuming he'd have the same tricks. Thanks for the correction!
    Since you're running an evil party (im guessing) go grab Edwin. He is the best single class mage in the game and evil himself. It will turn your party from gimp to well rounded immediately. Make sure he knows every debuffing spell you can find.. breach and secret word for starters and pierce magic and pierce shield for mid range casting. By then you should be familiar enough to take it from there with spell selection. Biggest thing is read what each spell dispels. Breach works for stoneskin and things like protection from magic weapons. Seriously. Go grab Edwin and you don't even have to reload...
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    DKnight said:

I tried reasoning with the piece of shit. I tried taking all of my belongings off to bribe the tool but he doesnt want anything.

Perhaps it should be mentioned that this actually works? You might have chosen the wrong option or something (the dialogue tree isn't the most intuitive), but bribing him with all your stuff still lets you bypass the fight.