Skip to content

*Spoilers!* *Forum Game* Challenge Baldur's Gate!

LaceLace Member Posts: 74
This is intended to be a challenge to find new ways to enjoy BG1:EE and BG2:EE. The purpose of this challenge is to encourage players to develop creative strategies they would otherwise not use and to encourage players to progress through quests organically without using prior knowledge to skip steps, all while adding a fun extra layer of difficulty to the games. You can pick whichever clauses from the list you'd like to play with. If you'd like to make up a new clause and I like it, I'll add it to the list. If you find that you need to cancel one of the clauses from your run, just tag me and let me know.

Players are encouraged to post journey logs of their runs here. :-) See the next comment below for more information on this.

You may choose to run just BG1:EE, BG1:EE+TSC, BG2:EE, BG2:EE+TOB, or a combination of these. You may also choose to do either of the Black Pits games.

CLAUSES (click the spoiler for a description of each):

* Limited Reloads:

The only condition where you may reset (reloading a past save) is if your PC dies. If your PC dies, you may only reload from the last auto-save (not manual or quick-save). You may use a quick save or a manual save only if you are ending gameplay for this session (for pesky things like work, school, or sleeping).

* No Reloads:

If your PC dies, it's game over for your run. You may only save for breaks (again, for pesky things like sleeping). If you attempt this and your PC dies, you may continue without this clause. Please tag me in your post informing me of the change.

* Limited Mods:

You may not use mods or the console to give yourself any advantages. Mods that make the rules stricter, banter packs, added romances, etc. are allowed. If you'd like, you can list a mod that makes the game harder in your clauses list.

* No Re-rolls on character creation:

You MUST use the first roll you get for stat points in character creation. You may redistribute points into useful areas. Alternatively, you may also use one of the pre-made characters included with the game.

* Runt Run:

No stat may be greater than 9 during character creation.

* Limited Min-Maxing on character creation;

If any stat is less than 9 during character creation, then all of your stats must be less than 9. Stat total must also be less than 80. You can't just dump charisma unless you're dumping everything for a runt run. If you're doing a runt run, you automatically qualify for this clause too.

* No stat redistribution on character creation:

You may not redistribute points on your first stat roll during character creation. If that means you have to run a fighter with 7 constitution, well, that's how your dice landed. You can always choose to give them proficiency with a bow. :-)

* Solo Run:

You must progress through the game using only 1 PC character alone. In general, this means that all NPCs in your game must cumulatively earn no more than 0 Exp throughout your run.

* Limited Resurrections:

Credit goes to @Dragonspear for this rule.

Your NPC gets chunked they're dead, your NPC gets turned to stone you can go get a scroll, if your NPC goes gray you either gotta pay to have them rezzed or find a replacement.

* No resurrections:

If an NPC dies, they're gone for good. Death is defined by their portrait turning gray. If the NPC is petrified, that counts as death. You may, however, recruit another still-living NPC to replace them.

* No healing in battle:

You may not use any potions, spells, equipment, etc. that restore HP during a battle. You may heal at any other time outside a battle. However, you may use potions, spells, equipment, etc. that increase the character's base HP during a battle. Thus, for example, cure light wounds, elixir of health, and potions of healing may not be used in battle, but the cleric spell aid, items like the helm of Balduran, spells that reverse level drain, and things that increase your constitution (potion of fortitude and the spell draw upon holy might) are allowed. Because regeneration (either through 20 constitution, shape-shifting, or magic) is simply accelerating the pace that the character naturally recovers from injury, items and spells that bestow regeneration may be used during a battle.

* No status removers in battle:

You may not use spells and items to remove status conditions during battle. Status conditions include level drain, panic, confusion, hold, stun, etc. Items and spells that confer protection and immunity to status conditions are allowed (and encouraged). Status removers may be used outside of battle.

* No Divine Castors:

Credit to @Dragonspear for this clause.

You may not use any character whose class uses the divine spell book during your run. This includes clerics, druids, rangers, and paladins. This also includes dual- and multi-classes, your PC, and NPCs alike.

Extra street cred goes to those that can complete BG2:EE and ToB with this clause.

* No Arcane Castors:

Credit to @Dragonspear for this clause.

You may not use any character whose class uses the arcane spell book during your run. This includes mages, bards, dual- and multi-classes, your PC, and NPCs alike.

Extra street cred goes to those that can complete BG2:EE and ToB with this clause.

* Poverty Run:

Credit goes to @lundgrnn for this rule.

Only pick up items that are quest related, not allowed to use any gear except the starting staff.

* Quest Exploration:

You may not proceed to a new map location unless specified to by a quest (main quest or side quest) in your journal. This encourages players to fulfill quests the way they were intended by the game-makers without short-cutting to the end. For example, in the first chapter of BG1:EE, we are directed to go to the Friendly Arm Inn. While many of us know where we're supposed to go next and choose to skip that step, for the purpose of this challenge, you must receive instructions for the next step of the quest before proceeding. Alternatively, in this example, there are 2 NPCs you'll meet on the way with a "side quest." (wink wink nudge nudge) If you wish to do that before heading to the Friendly Arm Inn, it's fair game.

* Partial Quest Completion:

You must complete all quests in your journal. If you don't want to do a particular side quest in this run-through, avoid the quest's trigger.

* Total Quest Completion:

You must complete every side quest in the game in addition to the main quest.

* No Pauses (aka Real Time Strategy or RTS):

Props to @Eck4343 for mentioning this clause.

You may not pause at any time during gameplay.
Post edited by Lace on

Comments

• LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    If you wish to be recorded for challenging this quest, please tag me in a comment here in this thread and fill out the following form:

FOR INDIVIDIAL RUNS:
    --
    @Lace
    PC Name (optional):
    PC Gender (optional):
    Alignment:
    Race:
    Class(es):
    Starting Stats:
    Starting Proficiencies:
    Game(s) + Expansion(s):
    Difficulty Setting:
    Clause(s):
    --

FOR PARTY RUNS:
    --
    @Lace
    Created Party
    C1: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    C2: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    C3: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    C4: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    C5: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    C6: Name, (F/M), Race, (Alignment), Class(es), Stats
    Game(s) + Expansion(s):
    Difficulty Setting:
    Clause(s):
    --

(Party Run Example with 3 created characters):
    --
    @Lace
    C1: Loren (F) Half-Elf (NG) Priest of Lathander, 12 / 18 / 12 / 9 / 18 / 9
    C2: Lia Nialo (F) Elven (NG) Ranger (Archer), 18/34, 19, 17, 9, 14, 18
    C3: Marel (F) Human (TN) Thief, STR 19, DEX 19, CON 18, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 14
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BG:EE
    Difficulty Setting: Core
    Clause(s): Poverty Run
    --

If you finish the game, let me know by tagging me in a comment and you'll be listed in the Hall of Fame below. This is by the honor system, people, so please be honest! If you wish to be listed, I highly encourage you to post regular journey logs in this thread showing your progress, so we can enjoy your character's progression along with you!

Current Challengers:

@Lace

--
    PC Name (optional): Loren
    PC Gender (optional): Female
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Race: Half-elf
    Class(es): Priest of Lathander
    Starting Stats: 12 / 18 / 12 / 9 / 18 / 9 = 78 Total
    Starting Proficiencies: + Mace, + Sling, + Sword & Shield Style
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BG2:EE + TOB
    Difficulty Setting: Normal
    Clause(s): No reloads, Limited Mods, No re-rolls on character creation, Limited Min-Maxing on character creation, No resurrections, quest exploration, partial quest completion
    --

@Dragonspear

PC Name (optional): Lia Nialo
    Race: Elven
    Class(es): Ranger (Archer)
    Starting Stats: 18/34, 19, 17, 9, 14, 18 (Second Roll woohoo)
    Starting Proficiencies: Longbow ++, Spear +, Quarterstaff +
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BGEE+ToTSC, ideally taken into BG2EE + ToB
    Difficulty Setting: Insane
    Clause(s): Limited Reset, Limited Mods, Limited resurrection

@Erinne

PC Name (optional): Marel
    Alignment: True Neutral
    Race: Human
    Class(es): Thief
    Starting Stats: STR 19, DEX 19, CON 18, INT 12, WIS 11, CHA 14
    Starting Proficiencies: + Long Sword, + Quarterstaff, + Crossbow, + Single Weapon Style
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BG2:EE + ToB (if I ever get that far)
    Clause(s): Limited Reloads, Limited Mods, Partial Quest Completion

Hall of Fame:

@lundgrnn

--
    PC Name (optional): Mathra
    Race: Gnome
    Class(es): Cleric / Thief Multiclass
    Starting Stats: Strength 18, Dexterity 18, Constitution 18, Intelligence 7, Wisdom 17, Charisma 12 (total = 90)
    Starting Proficiencies: * Staff, * Two Handed Weapons
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    Clause(s): Solo and Poverty run (pick up no items not quest related, use no gear other than the starting staff)
    --
    Journey Log: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22320/poverty-run-finished/p1

@EnterHaerDalis

--
    PC Name (optional): Davian Hawklight
    PC Gender (optional): Male
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Class(es): Blackguard
    Starting Stats: 18/00,7,17,10,9,14 (completely unedited and legit roll. unbelievably lucky)
    Starting Proficiencies: **two handed sword, *longbow, *two handed weapon style
    Clause(s):
    - 75 stat unedited roll
    - no reloads
    - no resurrections including NPC's
    - No stat redistribution on character creation
    --
    Journey Log: one of the messages in the middle of this page:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15828/the-75-roll-no-reload-no-resurrection-challenge/p9
    Post edited by Lace on
    I'll demonstrate proper journey log etiquette with an example. Please remember to post the guts of your journey log in spoiler tags. It'll make the thread easier to skim through, and it'll make this challenge more accessible to new players that want to play, but don't want plot points / side quests to be spoiled for them.

A good rule of thumb for journey logs: they should be short and interesting. Tell us the story of your character! And most of all, have fun! :-D

My first Journey Log! Here's my character information (using the convenient form posted above):

--
    @Lace
    PC Name (optional): Loren
    Race: Half-elf
    Class(es): Priest of Lathander
    Starting Stats: 12 / 18 / 12 / 9 / 18 / 9 = 78 Total
    Starting Proficiencies: + Mace, + Sling, + Sword & Shield Style
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BG2:EE + TOB
    Difficulty Setting: Normal
    Clause(s): Limited Min-Maxing
    --

Journey Log (Beware Some Game Spoilers! For real!):

- Chose a half-elf for RP purposes. Normally, I'd choose an elf for this kind of class, but it feels like if Imoen is supposed to be my sister and she's pure human, then mortal Bhaal must have been human too. If mortal Bhaal was human and my PC's father…well, how could I be a pure elf if my father was human? Thus, half-elf.

- Chose 12 strength / 12 constitution (instead of maximizing constitution bonuses) because I wanted my PC to use heavy shields in the early part of the game. I might pick up a pip in dual-wielding later on. I envision this character as primarily spell and stone slinger going through the game.

- Picked up Imoen, Jaheira, and Minsc. Barring any unforeseen complications, I intend to use them all as permanent teammates through the game.

- Had a bit of a close call: the cambion in the magic trap almost killed Jaheira. Immy finally took him down with a well-placed arrow.

- Did the djinni quest for the sword of chaos for Minsc. The center pavilion full of mephits was a bit challenging, since one of them stunned 3 of my characters, but Immy came to the rescue again with fireball in the beginning and monster summoning at the end.

- Collected Yoshimo. I plan to use him throughout the parts of the game he's around for (if you know what I mean). Tried something new with him: dual-classed him immediately to fighter, with pips in katana and dual-wielding. I think I'd like to try the new character Hexxat, which I haven't used yet. I'll see how that works out for me. :-)

- Actually, I think I did all of the Irenicus dungeon quests. Rielev, Djinni, Illyich, nymph acorns, the escaped clone, got all the wands, the vampire, Frennedan…dunno if there's any I forgot…

- Ended this session after the Irenicus cut-scene in Waukeen's Promenade. Loren is level 8, Yoshimo made it to level 4 (and he's *owning* those double katanas, yeesh), Minsc is 8, and Jaheira is 7 / 8.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    Lace said:

- Chose a half-elf for RP purposes. Normally, I'd choose an elf for this kind of class, but it feels like if Imoen is supposed to be my sister and she's pure human, then mortal Bhaal must have been human too. If mortal Bhaal was human and my PC's father…well, how could I be a pure elf if my father was human? Thus, half-elf.

@Lace
    Have you played ToB yet? If so, then you would have to agree that Bhaal's former race has absolutely nothing to do with it. Since you get to meet all sorts of Bhaalspawn... Let's put it like this... Bhaal was not picky about who he created his spawn with.
    @GemHound Thanks for the correct. No, I haven't played through TOB yet. I played the vanilla versions of BG1 and 2 as a kid, but not the expansion packs. I've gotten my first play-through up to about the end of BG2 at this point, but I was doing this as a break from that because I was kinda burning out on my character. I'll probably do TOB in a little while (savoring it before the new game shiny wears off, ya know?)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    (Interesting: just went to check my difficulty and had it at insane, no WONDER my characters in my bards run are dying so often LOL).

PC Name (optional): Lia Nialo
    Race: Elven
    Class(es): Ranger (Archer)
    Starting Stats: 18/34, 19, 17, 9, 14, 18 (Second Roll woohoo)
    Starting Proficiencies: Longbow ++, Spear +, Quarterstaff +
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): BGEE+ToTSC, ideally taken into BG2EE + ToB
    Clause(s): Limited Reset, Limited Mods (Simply because I'm playing Vanilla anyway), and the toughest part of this for me, No ressurection.
    [Spoiler]You get chunked you die, you get turned to stone I hope I can go get a scroll (is that ok? thawing them out of carbonite?), if you go gray you either gotta pay to be rezzed or find a replacement. Asking for clarification since I'm not sure here.[/Spoiler]

Side Note: There might be SOME meta gaming that occurs, for example: I'm neutral good but I went and looted most of the chest in the initial inn since I only started with 100g and I wanted my composite longbow RAWR. Thanks for giving me a reason to do my no Resurrection run =)

Lia's Journal So Far:
    [Spoiler]-After an amazing 95 second roll, I quickly maxed my stats, put things in their proper place and decided to go with the early 18 charisma just because I'm not certain if I'll PP the cloak this run, and buying things early with these settings/difficulty is essential IMO.

-I did decide on this character for 2 reasons: A I've always wanted to play an elven archer and never have, and B. I was looking for a no Resurrection run. I went a bit powergamey though because having been running insane on my evil Blade playthrough ATM, I'll admit I'm kinda scared.

-Picked up my starting equipment: Spear, Quarterstaff (for those that need a blunt weapon to kill), and Composite Longbow, 160 Arrows, 1 thing of bolts for the quest, studded leather armor and a helmet. About to work on my blade some more, but I wanted to get this up and started for myself.[/Spoiler]
    Latest editions into Lia's Journal:

[Spoiler]
    -Did all the intro quests in Candlekeep:
    - Bolts for fuller
    - Both Assassins
    - Killing Rats
    - Identify Scroll
    - Hull's Longsword
    - Drepin's Cow
    - That Mage's book

Sold everything and headed out after Gorion had his lackey of a priest heal me back up to full (I had taken 2 damage from an assassin). After finally heading out, the dreaded cutscene boss occurs and kills Gorion, poor guy never stood a chance.

-Let Imoen Join
    -Picked up Xzar and Montaron
    -Grabbed the Diamond
    -Went back and looted what I could from the Ambush site.

Ran into Elminster and then looted the ring +1 beelining my way to FAI.

Friendly Arm Inn

- Grabbed the Ring of Wizardry since my Wizard thinks that melee is a good idea
    - PIcked up Joia's quest but decided my PC wanted to make sure Gorion's friends were still there
    - Dealt with the assassin by shoving an arrow through his throat. I think my PC might have 1 shot him with said arrow on a crit. I was amused and went inside.
    - Oh hai Khalid and Jaheria, say you wanna join up? Cool? Thanks, here Jaheria I know you're a druid but please take some real armor. Oh and a club and a sling.
    - No sorry I'm not a servant keep your pantaloons
    - Spiders are my favored enemy, of course I'll clear your house
    - Belts? No problem I got that ogre ez pz
    - Grabbed Joia's ring and gave it to her, hey I'm a good ranger!

South of FAI

- Belt ogre went down really fast. I think Montaron crit on him. Another surprisingly simple setup. I went ahead and returned it immediately and then headed back down to beregost.

Beregost

- Weeeeeeeeeee Beregost. NPC's were getting kinda tired, decided that Feldepost Inn sounded good. Went and took a quick nap, but not before talking some sense into Marl.
    - Ah that rest felt nice, ya sure I need money, lets see the Silke. Nope those men look innocent to me, Silke falls over in shock (ok not quite but again really easy).
    - I go and take on the dwarven assassin, chugging that potion of defense, khalid still drops to half health before we kill him. Ya sure I'll go get your short sword as well purdue. Say are you a chicken?
    - Yes I'll get your boots, STOP PICK POCKETING ME!
    - Here's that book you wanted Firebead, I wonder why you think I enjoy such morbid reading.
    - DIE SPIDERS MUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
    - Half-Ogres you say? Dang
    - What's this cloak you speak of? (Non-detection which chances are I won't pick up this run either. I get it like once every 3 or 4 playthroughs to cloakwood).
    - Found the guy who initially tips you off about the woman's missing husband and ulcaster.

Friendly Arm Inn

- Hello again FAI. Say here's all that stuff you wanted from your spiders. And you don't mind if I keep this gem? Say you're swell. Thanks gnomie! And Xzar hush I'll get to Nashkel after these OTHER quests are taken care of.

High Hedge

- High Hedge WAZZZZZZZZZZZUP. Stupid gnoll dog things thanks for the runt's blade.
    - Dangit Xzar you were supposed to LEARN sleep. I can't afford another scroll.
    - Yes yes Monty I know, Nashkel

South of Beregost

- Stupid Ogrillions, shame what happened to her husband, I'll bring her this note.
    - Boots, Boots Anyone?
    - No I have 13 rep I'm not a bandit. I swear I'm innocent. Look take me in I'll let you. WTF ARE YOU ATTACKING ME FOR DIE. DANGIT and I've spent like 1500g already getting Khalid and Jaheria plate armor just for you flaming fist wannabandits to confront me. Grrrrrrr
    - Yes Jaheria I know you want to go to Nashkel

Beregost

- Here's your sword
    - Here's your boots
    - Sorry about your husband

North of Nashekl

- Stupid hobgoblins. you be quiet
    - awww poor family
    - Hey you remember those half-ogres that guy was talking about. Oh ya, look they're just over 1 map. Lets unlock Nashkel then head there. It'll be great

South South-west of Beregost

- Great more bandits..........owwwwwwwww dangit you hur......NOOOOOOOOO KHALIDDDDDDDDD and Xzar too. QQQQQQQQ
    - Well at least those bandits and the half-ogres are killed for the quest right? Look its faster to just go back to Beregost, we can rez the dead there. It'll be great I promise

Temple East of Beregost

- Look I promise its just a flesh wound. Up with the dead pls. Yes yes here's 200g for both of them
    - Xzar: NNNNNNNNAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHKEEEEEEEEELLLLL. Hey weren't you just dead shut up.

Beregost

- Jaheria: NASHKEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes yes I know, maybe if your husband hadn't DIED we'd be there by now.
    - What do you mean there are still half-ogres there? Grrrrrrrrrr

South South-West of Bereghost (AGAIN)

- WHAT?!? 1 Half-Ogre, and Xzar how are you dead again? Sorry man, I know we got ambushed but that doesn't give you permission to roll over and die like wet toilet paper.

Beregost

- I told you I took care of those Half-Ogre's. NICE SHIELD, here Khalid, now you shouldn't die again........right? right?
    - Hey Neera I hear you're awesome, say you wanna join? Kill some red wizards? SURE LETS!

Nashkel:

- YES YES WE ARRIVED WE'RE AWESOME
    - Another assassin ;-.- Another dead assassin
    - Mines? sure why not?
    - No I'm not Greywolf

Nashkel Mines:

- OH THATS GREYWOLF
    - DAMNIT KHALID BAD KHALID WHY YOU DIE! You're lucky I need a shield wearing meatshield that isn't your wife. Btw here's a new sword for when I rez you. Maybe if I spoil you enough you'll stop dying....
    - Also damn Montaron you're almost as good with your sling as I am with my bow. Spiffy

Nashkel:

- ARISE KHALID!!!!!!!!!!!
    - What's this sword
    - Ya ya here are your emeralds

Nashkel Mines:

- First Floor, oh hai random kobold and sure I'll deliver his dagger.
    - Second Floor, here's your dagger
    - Third Floor, DANGIT TRAPS ATE IMOEN ON THE BRIDGE. Well that's fine I got monty, lets try to keep going. NOOOOOO KHALID NOT YOU TOO!!!!!!, (PC DIES TO TRAPS MONTY CAN'T FIND).
    - Third Floor, take 2, DANGIT THAT's a trap. Well at least Lia survived this. Hey Imoen, you remember that potion Jaheria gave us when we met her in FAI? Ya that one the invis one. Chug it and scout the rest of this floor for traps. NO NO NO Don't even think about attacking someone. Find traps and how to get further down then come back here. Yes fine you can tell me the enemies too.
    - WE JUSTKILLED THAT SPIDER AND THEN KHALID YOU AND YOUR WIFE HAD TO GO DIE TO STUPID KOBOLD ARROWS. SERIOUSLY?
    - (Que internal debate about walking the long way out to rez them then come back. Prolly would have taken less time in retrospect but I know they'd want me to continue on).

Fourth Floor, Nashkel Mines:

- OK look there are only 4 of us. Aiight I'll scout ahead and try to kill things with my bow.........OWWWWWW bad idea that almsot was really really bad.
    - Ok those kobolds are dead now........oh hey a ghoul.........say that was easier than your kobold friends.

- Muhalony (x10 or it felt like it)
    - Finally put plate mail on Monty, let him try to tank Muhalony, using a grease scroll for the skellies and kobolds. Monty still died, barely lived with my PC, Imoen and Neera.
    - Sure Xan, I'm sick of Monty catching up in my kill count........besides he's dead and so's his buddy.

Outside Nashkel Mines:

- Carefully avoid the assassination attempt

Nashkel:

- UP WITH YOUR DEAD
    - Ya ya your mine problem is done thanks

Outside Nashkel Mines:

- Neera suicide isn't the way but the assassination attempt is done.

Nashkel:

- Up with your dead. Neera bad news, even though he has no spells you're getting replaced by Xan.
    - Nimbus you talk a lot for someone who went down that easy.
    - Hi Rasaad I wonder how long you'll last.

Beregost:

- Oooooooo Tranzig's all like "dood I'm a mage." and my Archer was like "sooooooo you're lunch?"
    - Rasaad "I got this awesome flame ability wanna see?" PC: "SURE!"
    PC " OWWW OWW OWW OWW, ok not again. That actually hurt Khalid and I too. But the mage is dead.
    - Sup again Elminster
    - Oh hai officer vai
    - NICE COMPOSITE LONGBOW and 9 Thac0![/Spoiler]

I think the only way I could refuse to rez anyone is if I lower the difficulty. Khalid has like -2 or -3 AC and has still died 3-4 times. I should be making more use of entangle though I think with 5 ranged people. Still MOST of what's killed party members have been ranged attacks..........or mages that think melee is a good idea *sigh*. Overall its been kinda fun thus far.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @Lace, you might be interested in this challenge:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15828/the-75-roll-no-reload-no-resurrection-challenge/p1

That said this one looks fun as well and once I finish my other runs (need more free time...) I'll give this a shot.
    edited December 2013
    I may try this in the future, but you may also want to check this challenge out:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17887/create-a-random-game-optional-no-reload-speed-game-contest-included-spoilers#latest
    They moved the majority of them over to the Strategies subforum for some reason. Caused less people to look at the ones in there.
    edited December 2013
    @nano @GemHound Thanks for that! I knew I wasn't the first to do a challenge thread, because they are soo much fun, but searching "challenge" in the forum search turned up a bunch of threads asking for build help, and I didn't really dig much past the first page of results. This challenge is very similar to those challenges, but there is enough variation that I think the community would benefit for having another. I hope you all choose to try the challenge! :-)

@Dragonspear I've added you to the competitor list on the second post in this thread. :-) I added "limited min-maxing to your list of clauses, since your lowest stat is 9. You're braver than I am, doing insane difficulty.

Meta-gaming is encouraged (I'm planning which side-quests my PC Loren does based on the loot I'll get at the end), however the "quest exploration" and "quest completion" rules exist to encourage players to proceed through the game organically (without skipping steps or using invis potions, etc. to get loot without finishing quests). You've been doing so, so I see no problems.

BTW, your journey log? HILARIOUS, lol.

The "No Resurrection" rule was intended that if your NPC died at all (and by "died", I mean their portrait grayed out), then they were dead, gone, and unusable for the rest of your current game (if Jaheira died in BG1, though, and you continued to BG2, well, using Jaheira again is permissible). However, I can see where that would be really hard for a harder difficulty setting (at my difficulty setting, if I lose an NPC, its because I played poorly), so I've moved "No resurrections" to the clauses list and I'm using your definition for a new rule: "Limited Resurrection." Thanks for that. :-)

In any case, this challenge is intended first and foremost to be fun, and to allow players to share their fun as they travel along with other fans of the series, so keep going! I'd like to see more of the continuing travels of Lia myself. :D
    edited December 2013
    @Coriander I think the subforum should be called that then since that is what the link is. :)
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @GemHound Yeah... it used to be... I'll talk to the peoples about it.
    edited December 2013
    Yay I made my own rule RAWR!

Also glad you enjoyed the journal log. It was like 6am when I wrote it cause I literally played a marathon session with her. And yes I'm TRYING to kinda stay in order quest wise, but I understand it might not always work, hence why I didn't put it down as a clause.

As far as the journal goes, I was trying to remember my first thoughts about everything as it happened. That said, by the time of the Mulhalony fight, I was getting really irritated before killing him. Those skeletons were the biggest problem.

Edit: Also for the record, while those wild surges had some good times (healing my entire party to full), the times that it caused her to insta suicide from backlash damage made me replace her for now. That said with how low Xan's spellbook is, maybe I'll switch them out again. She was rather amusing for now.
    @Coriander I didn't realize there was an entire sub forum, though it makes sense in retrospect. Thanks for cluing me in.
    edited December 2013
    Posting my next journey log! Actually, I meant to post it last night, but I forgot...ah well. Since I'll probably play some more this evening, I'll probably post another journey log later on too.

Quest: Unseeing Eye!

- Realized at the beginning that Yoshimo had a level up waiting. Apparently, I had left him waiting for a while, because he jumped from level 4 to 6.

- Sold extra loot from dungeon, chose to continue on to Slums District.

- Gaelan Bayle.

- Picked up Hexxat at Copper Coronet. Oh…she's neutral evil. (switch spells to remove holy smite). Let's hope Keldorn doesn't fight her while he's in my party. I was careful to avoid Nalia. I might do her quest later (the flail of ages is a powerful draw) but I'm not sure if I'll use it this run-through.

- Continued to temple district (gotta get my stronghold). Guy in front of Loren's home temple: blah blah blah Unseeing eye blah blah blah. Also got quest from Dawnbringer Sain for artwork commission (will do that later).

- Continued into Sewers. Got Sewer Cloak from Kobold guy in the center, talked to the fencer near the bottom, got quest to defeat sea troll. Defeated sea troll (fire arrows from kobolds) and oto…whatzit (same as sewer monster in Irenicus's dungeon). Easy 500 gp.

- Encountered Keldorn, he joined my team and we entered the lair of the unseeing eye. Stupid Minsc picked up energy drain from one of the vampire mists, but a rest and lesser restoration took care of that. Found that Loren's boon of Lathander and hold undead spells were relatively useful in that fight, since I plunked her next to baddies, told her to turn undead while they attacked her (she has a low AC, thanks to high dex and decent armor). Hold undead kept the runners close at hand for the melee-ers to defeat. Kinda wish I had more uses of those abilities, but sadly I don't.

- Received quest from Gaal to get the piece of a rod. Talked to the good herp-a-derps that poked their eyes out for a beholder, got the OTHER side of the story, but still they told me I must go below to get the rod piece.

- Went below. Accidentally triggered spiders (defeated pretty easily) and then triggered the battle horror + 2 spiders to appear (don't know where the trigger points are). Needed to rest/heal after that.

- Yuan-ti spawned (darn it), made sure to tackle that mage first (thanks to Hexxat using darts of wounding before the guy pre-buffed to disable his spell-casting--lucky break there), then cleaned up the rest of them.

- More undead, then the gauth (mini beholder). Ouch, was he tough. Disabled Jaheira early on with a hold person, but the AI wasn't very smart, as it kept changing targets rather than focusing on taking her out (to my advantage). Lost my chance to claim this as a "no healing in battle" game, as I had Loren heal her half way through to keep her from dying. Summoned 2 undead to help with the fight, though unfortunately, I then had to put my PC to the side turning undead to send away the shadows (or whatever they were; didn't mouse-hover over them for their names this time). Took me a while, but eventually team melee took the gauth out (along with my store of healing potions). We waited for Jaheira to get un-held, then went hunting for the shadows (remember: my team is decked out with plenty of magic weapons: Minsc: +2 Sword of Chaos, Jaheira: +1 q-staff, Yoshimo: +1 katana and backup +1 long sword, Keldorn: +2 Hallowed Redeemer, Hexxat: falls back on +1 short sword. Actually, Loren's the odd woman out with just a regular mace).

- Got to the temple with all the diseased people outside. Went in and healed the manifest, got rod from avatar. Also raided his alter for potions and stuff. ;-)

- Went back to the blind unfaithful waiting next to Kangaxx's quest demi-lich coffin, then continued to Tad, the pit of the faithless, turning undead and fighting through the undead village, collected the dex gauntlets and equipped them on Keldorn (to overcome is sucky 9 dex) and looted Theshal's body for the skin of the ghoul armor for Hexxat. Was surprised that no skeleton warriors spawned. Just mummies and ghasts.

- Continued to the pit, did my best to avoid the gauth (though my team took some damage passing by, darn it), and fought the priest party in the middle. Jaheira was a boss with insect plague, disabling all those castors early on. Only 1 managed to get off a summon animals spell, which were easy to dispatch.

- Got the remaining half of the rift device, put them together, which summoned the unseeing eye. Rift device and a hit from Keldorn and it was down.

- Accidentally ran into a second beholder in the top part of the screen (!!!) I thought that that was supposed to be the Unseeing Eye, and it would be gone when I came to loot the stash there. Guess not. I was able to get my party safely out of the way, since I didn't approach too quickly, and then I sent Keldorn back in to loot and run. He was successful (only took like 12 damage or so). That Dragon's Bane'll be useful for Minsc, I think.

- Went back to the Lathander temple, finished the Unseeing Eye quest (What!?! Why you no give me Ardulia's Fall???), and unlocked my stronghold. Did the first stronghold section, and advocated to the guy with the unfaithful wife that if he really loves her, he'll let her go. I forgot if this was the "correct" answer, but I'm pretty sure it is. I rested twice before leaving to heal everybody all the way up, and, on my way out, Hexxat warned me that she really wanted to go to Dragomir's Tomb (better get on that before she walks).

- Leveled up Hexxat with the quest Exp and pushed all the thief points into maxing open locks, then decided to go back to the sewers to take out Gaal and check all those chests Hexxat didn't have enough locks skill to open earlier.

- Encountered a spawn of kobolds on my way down (dispatched easily). Continued down to Roger the Fence to sell extra loot. Continued north to Unseeing Eye area again to dispatch Gaal. Looted the unseeing eye area, then went back to the fence to sell the last of the loot. Aand…I can finally declare this quest finished! :D

- Next, I continued to the Government District for the Sir Sarles quest. Oh, Keldorn, you have family here? Let's go meet them! Here, let me hold all of those expensive and useful items for you. Oh, your wife's unfaithful? Let's go talk to the curr who cuckolding you in Waukeen's Promenade. On my way, Madeen with the Planar Sphere quest called out to me, but I re-buffed him: I don't think I want to do that quest this time. Thankfully, it wasn't added to my journal, so I'm good not doing it while still qualifying for the quest completion clause.

- Stopped by the Jysstev estate on the way out: must get pure illithium for Sarles the artist. Well, both demand going to Waukeen's Promenade, so that's convenient. Met the boy with the Umar Hills quest on my way out. Guess I have to do that at some time now. Probably after I do Hexxat's quest; I don't want her rabbiting on me.

- Encountered Suna Seni and her slavers on my way. Easy Peasy. Hey, did you know if you charm a caster just before they complete a buff spell, it'll boost your party? Got myself a bit of free strength on all my party members for that. Hexxat also deserves a shout-out: disabled the mage thanks to those darts of wounding. Pretty sweet. Upgraded Hexxat with the fancy +2 short sword as her backup weapon, and finally picked up a magic mace for Loren.

- Talked to the ore merchant. After shelling out 1000 gp, she told me I had to go to the Copper Coronet to talk to the duergar. Stopped by at the Adventure Mart to buy a better sling for Loren. Should've probably gotten it before I did the unseeing eye quest, but meh. Finished by talking to the guy at Mithrest Inn. I want full exp for the Keldorn family quest, so I picked the option that'll take us back to his wife for one more confrontation.

- Went back to the Government District to talk to Keldorn's wife. After touching words on both sides, I chose to release Keldorn from my service to be with his wife. And thus ends Keldorn's time on my team.

Aand…that seems like a good place to end my journey log for now. My team is currently:

Loren: Level 9 Priest of Lathander
    Notable Equipment includes Sling +2, Mace +1 (backup), Mail of the Dead +2, Saving Grace +3 (big part of the reason why I rolled my PC with 12 strength and sword + shield style), Helm of Balduran, Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance, and Girdle of Fortitude. Her AC is a lovely -6.

Minsc: Level 8 Ranger
    Notable Equipment includes Sword of Chaos +2, Dragon's Bane +3 (backup), Full Plate Mail, Helm of Infravision, Ring of the Princes, Sewer Cloak (haven't really used the polymorph ability yet), girdle of bluntness

Jaheira: Level 8/10 Druid/Fighter
    Notable Equipment includes Quarterstaff +1, Plate Mail

Hexxat: Level 11 Thief
    Notable Equipment includes Arbane's Sword +2 (backup), Dart of Wounding (backup anti-mage weapon), Skin of the Ghoul +4, Gauntlets of Dexterity (it was either her or Minsc at this point)

Yoshimo: Level 8 Fighter / Level 10 Bounty Hunter (inactive)
    Notable Equipment includes Yoshimo's Katana +1, Katana (off-hand), Long Sword +1 (backup for off-hand), Plate Mail +1

Considering that my team doesn't currently have any arcane casters, I think I'm doing pretty well for myself. :)
    Post edited by Lace on
  • lundgrnnlundgrnn Member Posts: 27
    edited December 2013
    --
    @Lace
    PC Name (optional): Mathra
    Race: Gnome
    Class(es): Cleric / Thief Multiclass
    Starting Stats: Strength 18, Dexterity 18, Constitution 18, Intelligence 7, Wisdom 17, Charisma 12 (total = 90)
    Starting Proficiencies: * Staff, * Two Handed Weapons
    Game(s) + Expansion(s): Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
    Clause(s): Solo and Poverty run (pick up no items not quest related, use no gear other than the starting staff)
    --

Poverty isn't one of your listed clauses but it made this playthough truly awesome. You should definatly add it to the list. I had to think outside of the box a lot and use spells and tactics I never considered before. I finished the main story and a handful of side quests (not all) for BGEE with this character. You can check out my log over in this thread:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/22320/poverty-run-finished/p1

I've started my BG2EE playthough with this character as well but it's on the back burner for now. I want to do a playthough with all of the new NPCs first for the new content.
    Post edited by lundgrnn on
    edited December 2013
    @lundgrnn I've added you to the hall of fame (congrats!) I like your clause, so I've added it to the list as well.

I played a bunch again last night, so I've got a new journey log to post as well. Didn't get quite as far as I would've liked, but ah well.

Also, Hexxat. Man, Hexxat. Gosh, Hexxat. Really like that character. Great plot twist.

Journey Log: Copper Coronet Slavers and Hexxat's quest:

- Went to Copper Coronet to continue the quest with Sir Sarles. Nalia caught me this time, but I don't feel like doing her quest right now (and I might not get to it this run-through), so I rebuffed her. Her quest wasn't added to my journal, so it's all good for my partial quest completion clause.

- Talked to Lehtinan to gain access to the back rooms. Loren's a good priest, and she can tell that there's nothing good going on in the back rooms. She decides she wants to put an end to it.

- Also chose to recruit Anomen. I currently have an empty slot on my team, and he's romance-able with Loren, my half-elf. He's primarily a melee cleric (as opposed to my more traditional cleric), so he'll be a good fit for my team when Yoshimo gets replaced with Immy in a while. I'm thinking it's likely he'll become a permanent addition to my team. I'm also curious to see if he starts a fight with Hexxat where Keldorn did not (I like to live dangerously, I guess). This could cost me my partial completion clause. We'll have to see.

- Went to the cells, fought guards. Went to the beast cells. Fought some more. Freed the kids and Hendak. Fought some more guards. Watched Hendak take out Lehtinan. Continued through secret passage in Copper Coronet to the slaver stockade. Fought some more (*yawn* soo easy).

- Did the sewer puzzle for the Lilarcor. Upgraded Minsc's primary weapon.

- Decided to rest before going into the slaver base. Got another Bhaal dream. Also, the sword talks! Hilarious!

- Cleared out the slaver stockade pretty easily. The mauler +2 is a pretty good mace for Loren, since it sets her strength to 18 when she uses it, so that's her new backup weapon. That'll allow me to use her as a mid-line melee attacker (not that I'm hurting for melee-ers). Rested again at the temple, Hexxat complained again (really, need to get on that Dragomir quest), but she didn't leave, which is good. Also, this pushes my reputation up to 13 (so my shelf-life for Hexxat is rapidly declining), but since my party is a good party, I'm not so worried about this. I just need to start thinking about who my replacement for Hexxat will be.

- So, finally decided to enter Dragomir's tomb. I've not played this tomb before so I positively crawled through it. Kept all my characters with ranged weapons equipped, and made sure they didn't go too far ahead (so as not to trigger traps). I was successful in that for the most part. After I got to the end…well, I won't spoil it for you, but I understand now why Keldorn didn't attack Hexxat, and why, if I continue to keep her on my team, Anomen probably will.

I'll take some time to really consider my team's composition, because at this point I'd really like to continue using Hexxat, even though I originally thought this would be a mostly good-aligned run.

Loren: Level 9 Priest of Lathander
    Notable Equipment includes Sling of Seeking +1, Mauler +2 (backup), Mail of the Dead +2, Saving Grace +3, Helm of Balduran, Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance, and Girdle of Fortitude.

Minsc: Level 9 Ranger
    Notable Equipment includes Lilarcor, Dragon's Bane +3 (backup), Composite Long Bow +1 (backup), Full Plate Mail, Helm of Infravision, Ring of the Princes, Sewer Cloak, Girdle of Bluntness,

Jaheira: Level 8/10 Druid/Fighter
    Notable Equipment includes Quarterstaff +1, Sling +2, Plate Mail, Cloak of Protection +1

Hexxat: Level 11 Thief
    Notable Equipment includes Arbane's Sword +2, Dart of Wounding (backup anti-mage weapon), Short Bow + 1 (backup), Skin of the Ghoul +4

Yoshimo: Level 8 Fighter / Level 10 Bounty Hunter (inactive)
    Notable Equipment includes Yoshimo's Katana +1, Katana (off-hand), Long Sword +1 (backup for off-hand), Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy (backup), Plate Mail

Anomen: Level 11 Cleric / Level 7 Fighter (active)
    Notable Equipment includes Mace +1, Plate Mail +1, Delryn Family Shield, Gauntlets of Dexterity
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Tagging because I love these challenge threads! MAKE VIDEOS PEOPLE :)
    @Rdarken

I don't have a comp good enough to make videos or else I would.

@Lace

A couple other party limitations for you:

Complete BG1 without using any divine characters (no single, multi or dual class cleric, paladin, druid, or ranger. I want to say the monk but they never get the chance to cast divine spells. Yes this means no inquisitors. Unfortunately thinking about it earlier, it is extremely hard to do in BG2 (Your character options become Mazzy (psuedo paladin anyway), Hexxat, Edwin, Nalia, Yoshimo, Imoen, Korgan, Haer'dalis, and THAT guy).

And for the other one its the exact opposite: Complete BG1 and/or BG2 without using any arcane casting characters at all (so no Edwin, Haer'dalis, Aerie, Imoen, Nalia or Jan).
    edited December 2013
    Lia Log (first parts are rather backdated but I'll try to remember):

[Spoiler]Larswood: cleared for the most part. A group of bandits offered me a chance to join them, I offered them arrows to the knee before my archer offered another arrow to the throat. Also wtf man, this druids all like "doooodz im gonna go wtf nuts", thus in good self-defense style I put him down.

Then his buddy is all like "ya I knew he'd do that." I swear these druids are lucky I'm a ranger, and not a ranger with an itchy archer finger.

Peldvale:

Bandits: "What are you doing here?"
    Lia: "Well you see, I was talking to your friends in Larswood, then things happened and they all got an arrow in the left knee before they took an arrow to the throat. And I have Jaheria over there with me, you know she likes balance, karma, ying-yang, fung-shu............look you get the idea. Long story short, your bandits, your scalps sell well, and I'm not particularly interested in joining with you. So to "keep balance" and all that jazz, I'm gonna put arrows in your right knee and then your throat. OK Neera, SLEEP EM"

Also high Viconia, look I know you're a drow............here, I got an idea, come wait INSIDE the friendly arm inn. Flaming Fist won't bother you there, and then if I need you I can pick you up.

Bandit Reload Camp............errrrrrrr Bandit of clearing it like 5 times due to deaths when I'm ALMOST done.

First time I remembered I was in a hurry and whatever the general full plate wearing dood is outside with warhammer of party killing +1 did exactly that. With a long drawn out sigh, I went ahead and reloaded back to the auto save and called it a night, until today.

(QUES OMINOUS MUSIC)

Due to incredibly good fortune (Lia coughs PLANNING DAMN YOU coughs) ok fine planning, Lia keeps arriving at night time, for most every reload and can't buy anything with her measly like 30g. Hey rezzing these dead people is getting expensive (I'm Looking at you Neera and Rasaad especially).

Anyway cover of night, blah blah blah. Neera finally hit 3, but all she knows for level 2 wizard spells are her natural wild mage spells. Not particularly helpful. Anyway I have her loaded up with sleep spells and we walk into camp. And by we, I mean Lia. Stealth, see enemy, shoot (btw firing out of stealth, I get a full turn where they cannot respond with fire, avg is 2.5 arrows to kill them).

Key Sleep spell locations:
    Gnoll Hutt
    Gnoll Cave
    General Full Plate and Magic Shield Warhammer of Party Slaying (Ok, not really but strat for him below)\
    You can try them inside Tazok's Tent, but its rather ineffective.

Anyway, poor Lia is mindlessly going along, bored out of her mind trying to think of new inventive ways to shoot her bow at the stray guards, (HEY I KNOW, I'll bend over and fire between my legs........ANOTHER down).

Get to General...........ok you get the idea from now. Spare Potion of Absorbtion lying around (+10 crushing AC, and a large chunk of lightning resist that is largely irrelevant). Long story short, Khalid cannot be touched by him at this point, so that encounter is cleared while Lia, Imoen and Jaheria pick off any stray archers.

Ok first of all, the tent I think is the first big party v party fight that my group has faced. It doesn't go well simply due to needing to take 2 targets out with equal priority immediately (and yet another instance of the downside druid to cleric).

First attempt: everything goes fine, everyone dies BUT the hobgoblin archer, (ok I might have just given up after I lost 4 party members and taken my hands off the keyboard letting them get killed.) Poison arrows by him REALLY hurt. New kill priority moved him to #1 on the Lia most wanted list.

Next attempt:
    Mage gets off Horror, but more to the point, using 2 potions of explosions, I suffer a nasty 10 rep loss when the splash damage kills the prisoner.

Third attempt of getting there:
    I end up finally beating it, but not before losing 3 characters. I had also popped potion of heroism on Khalid and potion of power on Rasaad. The downside is everyone BUT Khalid and my PC get feared, I think Khalid gets feared and realize too late that he's not.

The gnoll ends up chunking feared people as the mage finishes them off with Melf's Acid Arrow. Neera, Rasaad and Khalid all bite the dust. But it is cleared now.

After thoughts:
    A. Having a cleric or mage with a remove fear spell to cast ahead of time would have been huge, and I probably wouldn't have suffered any deaths.
    B. Rasaad is really NOT pulling his weight, he still has 18 thac0 with his fists. Lia is down to 7, Khalid even is down to 12.
    C. If a monk had decent stats, with a sleep spell you can make up for their early lack of ability to hit.
    D. I've greatly undervalued potions previously in this franchise, often just sell them for their great gold value. Between this character and my Blade's party I'm beginning to chug them like mad.
    E. Debating when I want to go get Minsc and Dynaheir. I think they will be a LOT better for this party than Neera and Rasaad. [/Spoiler]

Gear will come after I'm done raiding.
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    Feel free to add the 75 stat no reload/resurrection challenge if you wish. I don't mean to gloat either but I believe I'm the only one to successfully complete the challenge :)

I don't think anybody would beat this in BG2 let alone even attempt it, so it's basically a BG1 exclusive challenge :)

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15828/the-75-roll-no-reload-no-resurrection-challenge
    Minor note to expand on once I get some sleep.

Had my first quickload when I accidently sold my tome of charisma to thalantyr and failed like 5 spells in a row on dynaheir after chugging a potion of genius. Funnier summary to come in tge morning
    Minor note to expand on once I get some sleep.

Had my first quickload when I accidently sold my tome of charisma to thalantyr and failed like 5 spells in a row on dynaheir after chugging a potion of genius. Funnier summary to come in tge morning
    edited December 2013
    @rdarken What would be required to record video? I use a Mac, so I'm not sure if I can...

@EnterHaerDalis Please fill out the form with your PC's information and I'd be happy to add you to the hall of fame. :)

--
    @Lace
    PC Name (optional):
    PC Gender (optional):
    Alignment:
    Race:
    Class(es):
    Starting Stats:
    Starting Proficiencies:
    Game(s) + Expansion(s):
    Difficulty Setting:
    Clause(s):
    --

@Dragonspear Adding new rules to the OP.

Sorry to hear you had so much trouble in the bandit camp. Personally, I always struggle with the archers, especially if they target one of my squishier NPCs.

Some thoughts: Monks are pretty useless in BG1. I used Rasaad with Varscona (or some kind of wakasashi; can't remember), and while he could take a hit (like, ONE hit), he was too squishy to frontline without a wall to tank the hits, even later into BG1. His increased movement speed does help with kiting, however.

I also think Minsc would be an excellent addition to your team. He has the ability to tank that Rasaad lacks, plus dat strength. Dynaheir--well, she's not too bad, though I believe Neera had better dex.
    Post edited by Lace on
    Needs has better Dex but getting too many negative outcomes on wild surges and dynaheir at least has Con.

Honestly once I went sniper mode with my archer, the archers in camp were a joke.

Even though Minsc only has + in maces atm I'm having him dw them atm just for a change
    Needs has better Dex but getting too many negative outcomes on wild surges and dynaheir at least has Con.

Honestly once I went sniper mode with my archer, the archers in camp were a joke.

Even though Minsc only has + in maces atm I'm having him dw them atm just for a change
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    @Lace

PC Name (optional): Davian Hawklight
    PC Gender (optional): Male
    Alignment: Neutral Evil
    Class(es): Blackguard
    Starting Stats: 18/00,7,17,10,9,14 (completely unedited and legit roll. unbelievably lucky)
    Starting Proficiencies: **two handed sword, *longbow, *two handed weapon style
    Clause(s):
    - 75 stat unedited roll
    - no reloads
    - no resurrections including NPC's

Write up and screenshots found on this page posted near the top http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15828/the-75-roll-no-reload-no-resurrection-challenge (Can't figure out how to link to specific posts)
    edited December 2013
    @EnterHaerDalis Congrats. :) Added you to the hall of fame.

The way to link to the first page in a forum URL is to add /p1 to the end, so I've done that on your listing.

EDIT: Realized that your current guy's information is indeed on that last page, so I've switched the page number to p9. At least the URL will dump the intrepid person to the right page, if not the right message. If someone knows how to link to a specific message, tag me in a comment to let me know.
    Lia Log 3:

[Spoiler](Lia: Look this Rasaad guy is cool and all, but he really has to go.)
    Lia I told you he's a new character, we need to keep him and get the experience of having him in our party. Plus he drops a cool cursed strength belt once we unlock Baldur's Gate.
    (Lia: At the rate we're going I'm going to be picking up Rasaad Mash soon. If this guy was any better at rolling over and playing dead we'd call him dog. Yes using mage control spells etc makes him effective, but he isn't as effective (or damaging) as other party members. In the ENTIRE time you've had him he's gotten 5 kills. But unlike imoen he can't disarm the traps or pick locks, unlike Jaheria he can't heal or buff, Neera at least is smart with her crowd control. Come on please let me get someone else. I'll do his quest after we get Baldur's Gate ok?)
    Fine Lia, you can go get Minsc. I know you want him. But for now you need to dual wield with him ok? Just for a change of pace. *Sigh* yes go ahead get him full plate too.

Ok picked up Minsc and on our way to go save the mighty Dynaheir, we ding 4 (YAYAYYAYAYAYA), happily getting called shot. Well little Miss I think I'm awesome, Neera, is like.........Being a wild mage sucks sometimes. Look there is this other guy, lets go to him for advice....

Lia looks at Minsc heartbroken and we quickly make haste to the Adoy compound. Friendly goblins........interesting change...

Oh sure lets go in the cave.........this SCREAMS good idea.........Not

*sigh* so much for Friendly goblins, or hobgoblins.

Hi look there Mr. Wild Mage, I'm in a hurry. She wants help with her wild magic, I want to replace he..............damnit red wizards.

(Note: my highest level here is 4, so I ended up dying another 4 or 5 times getting this to work. Web on the 2 mages while my PC and Imoen shot them down were essential, while everyone else took care of the Ogre and 2 red wizard warriors (who were also a ton of trouble). Do NOT do this fight if you don't have a ton of various crowd control/debuffs memorized on insane. That said I powered through, I think Khalid died, but overall got through and bee lined to Dyanheir.

Honestly the gnoll camp was a breeze between Minsc with Stupifier and my PC. Picked her up, looted the Charimsa tome and then went back to High Hedge to get Dynaheir some spell learnins. FYI she did NOT come with web for me even though she was a level 4 Invoker, this made me sad. Furthermore, I didn't realize there was only 1 copy of spook and 1 copy of glitterdust in the game that I've found.

I think the plan at this point is firewine->cloakwood (or vice versa) since I'm not dualing Imoen until 7 just for canons sake. This should allow me to get MOST of my mage levels before I get to a point where I need find traps again.

I also have most of the side maps left open for the same purpose. But I know I can't do Durlag's or really Candlekeep Catacombs without find traps, so I need to rush her back up there.[/Spoiler]

Party Stats at last save:
    Reputation 18
    Gold 1111 (with 2 winter wolf pelts to sell)

Lia Nialo level 4, Armor 2, Thac0 6, 42 Health
    Studded Leather Armor +1, Senses of the Cat, Adoy's Belt, helmet, Longbow of Marksmanship, Composite Longbow +1 (in bags), Spear, Quarterstaff +1

Khalid Fighter level 4, Armor -4, Thac0 12, 37 Health
    Full Plate Armor, Medium Shield +1, Ring of the Princes, Talos' Boots, Varscona, The Harrowing, helmet

Minsc Ranger level 4, Armor -1, Thac0 13/17, 33 Health
    Full Plate Armor, Ring of the Princes, Legacy of the Masters, helmet, Stupifier (MH), Mace +1 (OH)

Jaheria Fighter 3/Druid 3, Armor -5, Thac0 14, Health, 32
    Ankheg plate armor, ring of the princes, honorary ring of sune, club, sling +1, Gauntlets of Dex

Imoen Thief 4, Armor 2, Thac0 16, Health 18
    Leather Armor +2, Shortbow +1, Shortsword +1

Dynaheir Invoker 4, Armor 9, Thac0 19, Health 21
    Sling, 2 Wands of Horror, 1 Wand of Magic Missile, Travelers Robe, Ring of Wizardry, Ring of the Princes

Biggest thing for keeping Dyanheir alive compared to Edwin, Xzar or Neera.............she starts with proficiency in sling.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    Lace said:

@rdarken What would be required to record video? I use a Mac, so I'm not sure if I can...

Sorry, I don't know anything about recording :( Fraps is a program I've heard thrown around.