Skip to content

Thanks to you, players.

rizar123rizar123 Member Posts: 30
I played BG2 many time in my life, and I NEVER EVER backstab because I never really felt I needed to do it. And I didn't know how to do it. But because of you and this forum I learned (learnt, learnd?) how to backstab... OMG! it feel so good. It's almost cheating.

1) Scout with Hexxat in shadow!
2) Oh! darn! A mage, it's going to be hard...
3) Walk on his back!
4) Backstab, one shot!
5) Drink a potion of invisibility.
6) Walk away happy!

Hexxat can almost clear a full area by herself. Placing trap, backstab and luring in trap work great. Of course my CHARNAME can almost solo everything, but it's fun to have some diversity. And thanks to you, I now understand the true power of thieves!

Have a great day!

Comments

• TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Now imagine a time-stopping, Staff of the Ram-wielding, Assassination-using thief whacking away at an enemy. It's quite useful indeed.
  • rizar123rizar123 Member Posts: 30
    hmmmm, yeah I could imagine that... but Dual/Multi is the second big stuff I never tryed/understood hehe. Maybe next game I would make one of those so popular Thief/Mage... I juste don't know how to start those. Start as thief or as mage, or right into thief/mage.

I'll have to look for this on the interwebs... or maybe on the webernet!
    hmmmm, can a thief lv13 dual to mage can use time stop? I'm looking on the web but I want to be sure =P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2013
    Thieves can get a trap actually at higher levels (level 24 and greater) that has a time stop effect. It doesn't last nearly as long as the level 9 mage spell though.

But yes either a multiclass or dual classed thief/mage can use Time Stop provided their mage level is high enough to be able to cast level 9 mage spells.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I, likewise, discovered the joy of backstab from this forum!

Also dual-classing. And basic modding. I learnt a lot here.
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Yeah, it's a lot of fun. Played a solo thief in BG1, and even in BG2 I'd occasionally leave my party sitting at the dungeon entrance while my main looted the place backstabbing everything that got in the way. Invisibility potions really are a godsend.
    Yeah, and I never noticed how many invisibility potions you loot in this game, as I never looted them before. hmmm, next game I will try the thief mage combo. Still need to finish TOB on my first game though. Thanks for those information once again hehe
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    edited December 2013
    elminster said:

Thieves can get a trap actually at higher levels (level 24 and greater) that has a time stop effect. It doesn't last nearly as long as the level 9 mage spell though.

10 seconds instead of 18... more than enough time to deal thousands of assasinate damage ;)
    rizar123 said:

hmmmm, yeah I could imagine that... but Dual/Multi is the second big stuff I never tryed/understood hehe.

Then you're really missing out on something. :) A dual classed Ranger>Cleric gets both all of the Cleric and Druid spells (with Greater Elemental Summoning HLA being the one exception), and a Kensai13>Mage is the single strongest class in the game (Buff up to invulnerability and hack away with sick damage).

Thief/Mage isn't really that interesting except for the Mislead abuse (unless they fixed that).
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I myself have a fighter thief multi. It is great! And yes, that backstabbing is powerful and effective, especially with my fighter levels. Can't wait for TOB, casting spells from scrolls while wielding carsomyr :)
    hmmm, I really tought that Thief/Mage was powerfull. For the backstab/time stop... Maybe there is something I don't understand yet hehe.

I read about the Kensai/Mage, this look nice too. I'll have to reconsider those options for my next playthrought (playthrougth?).

I'll have to look at all this stuff seriously. But for now, I just arrived in the Monk's "town" in TOB... lot more to do before the next game hehe
  • Zzidolfas86Zzidolfas86 Member Posts: 77
    And yet if Hexxat has 2 levels in fighter before she became a thief she would be much MUCH stronger.

The joy of how shit a single-class thief is compared to the options.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    oh, this is even more fun with an FMT.

scout ahead, see a big group of enemies... oh, cool.

walk back a bit, cast mirror image, stealth, possibly turn everybody else in the team invisible (sanctuary, staff of magi, stealth), strut behind enemy mage, splatter him into tiny chucks, then do the classic "come at me, bro" motion towards the remaining enemies, and tank 'em. possibly also use other team members to set up a complete ambush.

god I love backstabbing.
    hehe so... it's a great game as I can see =P.

Now I'm at the final Hexxat quest... I was talking with the "end boss" and suddenly... phone ring, i'm at work and diner time is over... I speed throught the dialog, don't read anything and quit... darn that was the final stuff and I couldn't take the time to do it properly. Anyway, I didn't save after as I have to quit. I'll do it again to night.

For now I use a pure flail/shield fighter. At high level he is very strong and I don't think I really need the OP stuff like FMT and Kensai/mage (for this playthrought I mean).

God I love this game!