Skip to content

Question about chapter 5. Warning, SPOILERS ahoy!

This is something that bugged me when originally playing BG2, but I had forgotten it until now.

According to Adalon, the exit to the Underdark is open, but is impassable due to it being controlled by the drow. She informs the party that if they assist her, she will disguise them so they can pass through the gateway unmolested.

This makes sense, except that upon completion of her quest she unlocks the (previously impassable) gate, but then the party reverts to normal form and has to fight the drow anyway!

I suppose it's a minor point, but wouldn't it make more sense if the gate was open, but there was some kind of Arkanis Gath style drow who killed the party if they tried to go through? (After an auto-save, of course.)

Maybe I'm just missing something, but this always seemed to be some kind of weird plot inconsistency to me.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Well you can agree to help her, then bribe the drow at the gates to let you through.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    No auto death stuff. Lamest game mechanic there is.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    just like how Irenicus would straight out kill you if you didn't gang up on him with the crazies. Good times.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182

just like how Irenicus would straight out kill you if you didn't gang up on him with the crazies. Good times.

Sad thing is that any party that played through any decent amount of Chapter 2 before spellhold could take Irenicus by themselves at that point.

• stargazerbstargazerb Member Posts: 57
    Adalon also tells you afterward that you could have just gone to the exit on your own. I've never tried it. Is that what you're referring to? Does it work?
    ryuken87 said:

Well you can agree to help her, then bribe the drow at the gates to let you through.

Watching the fiasco at the end of the Ust Natha sequence is too much fun for me to skip :) but I am curious.
  • nietzschelivesnietzschelives Member Posts: 36
    edited December 2013
    ryuken87 said:

I had no idea one could do this. I'm really tempted to try this, but like @stargazerb Ust Natha is just too much fun. That does sound pretty cool though.

I guess there's still a lot left in this game that I've never encountered.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

Sad thing is that any party that played through any decent amount of Chapter 2 before spellhold could take Irenicus by themselves at that point.

Yeah, when it happened to me on my first playthrough, it actually happened because of the pathfinding screwing with me. Good times.