Skip to content

What level should i dual my Berserker to a Cleric?

I've searched around and some forums say level 9, some say level 13.

What level should i be looking to dual at? Whats the pros and cons of dueling at level 9 or 13? Or any other level for that matter.

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    2 is the earliest you can dual.

7 gets you an extra 1/2 attack per round and 2 enrages.

9 gets you max hp from your fighter class and 3 enrages.

13 only if you're very patient. It gets you an extra 1/2 attack per round and 4 enrages.

Those are the major breakpoints.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    The breakpoints are as @nano said. 9 and 13 are the usual considerations for BG2. I strongly recommend 9. The reason is that the gains from waiting until 13 (1/2 APR mainly) are not worth the steep increase in XP required to reach and regain those levels. Level 9 on the other hand is still within the low XP bracket, and very easy to regain in BG2. If you are a very experienced player, have a very small party, or have other sources of very high XP (mods, metagaming, etc.) you can consider lvl 13 - but for most people, lvl 9 will be a much better, faster, and more convenient choice.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    9 is best for a full party, 13 for small party or solo. Really it matters little since Holy Power can make the difference for pretty much any thac0 problems that you can go for at a higher level. And the proficiencies don't matter much when Warhammers and Flails are the best options you've got... maces and clubs are okay, but maces are pretty 'meh' for the most part, save for a few.
  • FitschivalryFitschivalry Member Posts: 9
    I agree - I dualled at 9 and it only took a few quests to get back my abilities.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Fitschivalry‌ Is your name a reference to the Farseer trilogy? I love those books.

I think BG2 begins at Berserker level 7, which is also a great level to dual at, if you want to graduate ASAP to a B->C. You only lose some HP and 1 enrage compared to level 9.
  • FitschivalryFitschivalry Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Yes it is @FinneousPJ‌ . :smiley:
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    nano said:

2 is the earliest you can dual.

7 gets you an extra 1/2 attack per round and 2 enrages.

9 gets you max hp from your fighter class and 3 enrages.

13 only if you're very patient. It gets you an extra 1/2 attack per round and 4 enrages.

Those are the major breakpoints.

You forgot 3rd level, you get an extra proficiency point then. Also at 6th and 9th level. Those are important as well.

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    edited January 2015
    13 in a full party in BG2EE is a disaster to dual at though. I wouldn't recommend it, or you won't get your levels back until near the end of SoA, if that. In IWDEE you'd probably be waiting even longer but you can just abuse rest-grinding or something to get your levels back. But if you're doing a small party or solo, by all means go to level 13 first. You'd actually benefit more for it.

7 is the "safe" number, and as a fighter/cleric it doesn't matter much anyway thanks to Draw Upon Holy Might and Holy Power, and you'll get your levels back fairly quickly. 9's more than doable as well, since Clerics level up very fast anyway (only rogues level faster), and your fighter HP will be able to cap that way (plus the proficiency point and that half attack you would have gotten at 7. It's just hard to argue against dualing at 9).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Be aware that you'll be stuck at 3.5 or 4 attacks per round while other warriors will get to 5. Later those warriors get whirlwind and critical strike further widening the gap.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Wow this was a big thread necro (OP hasn't even been on in a year).
  • fanscalefanscale Member Posts: 81
    9 is good enough. 13 is better, but 9/10 times ended up using the XP cheat when I dualled at a high level.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    elminster said:

Wow this was a big thread necro (OP hasn't even been on in a year).

However, if he left due to poor traction on his thread, then perhaps this will bring him back? ;-)