Skip to content

Hexxat or Clara

RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25
Hi all,

I know there is another discussion about this which ended in a racial debate (not good!). However, I would like to re-start this since I would like to address a different point about this.

I would like to see a clara version of hexxan which I can match with a good/neutral aligned party. I've played so many times and I am always stuck with either Yoshimo or Jan (Really don't like Nalia). Problem is that I find them both boring by now since I have heard everything they say too many times and I've played their quests way too often.

Hexxat starts out interesting as someone who is confused and when taking her along in the party, I started looking forward to helping her out (mostly good party) and finding out what was behind the obviously artificial front. I was anticipating curing her of whatever was clouding her brain and having a somewhat helpless (thus harmless) evil character, bound by me rescuing her. This could match well with the characters In my party to compensate for the evil nature. (I can also imagine her to be neutral, although that would be based on nothing since we never got to meet her sober in the game) However, after the change-over to the vamp, the real hexxat is a fullblown evil character that cannot be matched with anyone of a good/neutral party.

What it comes down to is that you simply need a thief, mage and a cleric of some kind. The fighters are easy to fill with many choices. I was looking forward to using the new npc's together, but it does not work for my party having a vampire around.

A suggestion I would like to make for this character is

that after killing the real hexxan, a part of hexxan's control is left behind in Clara's mind, so in essence she is hexxan. By taking Clara, the player should be helping Clara with slowly regaining (part of) her old character, and eventually turning neutral. With this being the main objective for a good-aligned party it is a good excuse to have her in the party, while being forced to follow hexxan's storyline as well.

Please refrain from making this a racial debate again and keep it civilized. I understand that the character was meant to be evil, but there are different ways of dealing with evil.

Maybe a dlc or mod? prettyplease?
Post edited by RB178 on

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Well, I'm sure they know now there is a fan demand for a Clara DLC. But for myself, I'd rather a Clara plotline be more divorced from Hexxat, except for the effects of the mind control (and maybe not even that - it depends on what they want to do with the character). They're separate, only connected by chance, and Clara's death is the only time they even lay eyes on each other - leave it that way.

What I do think, personally speaking and realising it's more an artistic decision than a necessarily crowd-pleasing one, is that (a theoretical DLC expanded) Clara should not simply live up to the role of a victim to be saved, a tabula rasa to be nursed back to health, a damsel in distress needing a knight. She should be challenging and different than expected. Perhaps she's a very different person than the meek victim she appears to be. Perhaps instead of feeling like a victim, she ends up craving the power she briefly touched, and the charname has to deal with that desire of hers.

Or perhaps, in a different tack, she can't really be saved. Perhaps there is no way to gain back her memories, the person she was, and if charname quests to do so, it would end inevitably in failure and her despair and death. The only way to save her would be to teach her to accept the new person she is rather than chase the dream of the old person she can never be.

In any case, I'd be in favour of a Clara DLC - it has fan demand behind it, and I want to know more about her. I just hope it's more interesting and challenging a story than simply rescuing a hapless victim. There's plenty of that sort of thing in Baldur's Gate already. I'd like Clara to offer something different, more compelling that just filling in a role as "source of yay-I-saved-someone vibes, possible love interest and a thief for good parties if you don't wanna use Jan, Yoshimo or Imoen".
  • DisgruntlerDisgruntler Member Posts: 100
    I wouldn't mind her being evil or neutral. Evil parties either take Yoshimo or Hexxat now. So good parties still have more options.
    shawne said:

God, I love adblock.
    @shawne, is it really necessary to threadcrap because people are discussing something you don't want them to? You could just, you know, avoid the thread. Just don't click on threads that mention Clara. It's that easy!
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    Why don't you make your own thief for your good party? At this point you are asking for your personal fanfiction to be made into DLC.

You are disappointed because she was not what you imagined. There are plenty of options for good/neutral thieves, but you don't want to use them, you acknowledge that. Hexxat was designed to fill up the void of an evil thief in the game. You can even have hexxat in your party and some good and all of the neutral characters.

Hexxat is designed to be the option for EVIL PARTIES. You bringing her into your party with the intent of rescuing her is very flawed. Yes she was mind controlled, but that does not equate to a good or neutral character hiding underneath. If that doesn't work for your party, roll a new character. At any rate, Hexxat is a million times less evil than Dorn, and you said you wanted to use the new NPC's together. If you can justify Dorn in your party, you should be able to justify Hexxat. Hexxat's evil comes from her drive to live, and is strictly necessary. She is not over the top evil. Dorn wants to kill everyone no matter what the situation is.

Also it's kind of gross you want to have a "helpless" character with no personality personally bound to you because you rescued her.

Clara's death was necessary for Hexxat's story. It immediately tells you multiple things about Hexxat:

1) She will do anything to survive
    2) She feels remorse for those she kills, or at least some
    3) She doesn't get any joy from being a vampire

What's the point of saving Clara if she's going to be essentially Hexxat? You say you don't want this to be a racial debate, but the only difference in this instance is that she's white and alive with a lot worse stats, instead of black and a vampire. If you can't handle a black and/or vampire character, don't pick her up in your party. The devs shouldn't make DLC because you can't accept that tragic death happens in the game to people you like sometimes. The world, including the in-game world, isn't fair and justice is not always delivered or if it is, not always in the way you would want.

Another person is making a mod I believe if you really want it. But you'll probably be disappointed because it sounds like you already have in your head how you think it should be done. Another persons vision will probably just disappoint you. Clara is essentially a blank slate, which makes projecting your own fantasies on her very easy.

I don't think there should be Clara DLC, mostly because it ends up bowdlerizing Hexxat. If there was however, it should go in a vein as @Ayiekie suggested. It would be less cliche, more interesting, and ultimately a much better story than just recycling quests because you didn't want to play the character provided to you.

edited December 2013
    To be fair, @AcridSyphilis, some of us are interested in Clara on her own merits, not because of or as a replacement for Hexxat. I like Hexxat quite a bit; that has no bearing on my interest in seeing the Clara character explored.

Edit: I'd like to follow up on my earlier idea about being unable to "save" Clara's mind, which is irrevocably lost. That one really does appeal to me, on two levels. First, being faced with someone who is simply broken, irrevocably, and cannot be fixed, cannot be returned to what they are, provides an interesting moral dilemna different than others in the series. More interestingly to me, it provides a situation where the "correct" outcome is the "neutral"-aligned outcome. Good-aligned people will want to help Clara recover her memories; evil-aligned people will presumably recruit Hexxat. Neutral-aligned is the most likely to pursue the notion of "What's done can't be undone, let's move on".

I realise it's quite possible for good-aligned characters to have that reaction too, but it still feels like a a neutral reaction to me, so I like the notion on those grounds.
    @Ayiekie: I would love to avoid Clara threads. Unfortunately, they make up about half the forum at the moment, repeating the same fallacies over and over again.

Being interested in Clara on her own merits would be a perfectly legitimate argument if she had any merits to begin with. @AcridSyphilis is correct on all points: she's a cipher, and as such, only as interesting as you imagine her to be. In reality, a Clara DLC would be a waste of time, because there is absolutely no consensus on who she "should" be if you save her from Hexxat.

You yourself aren't immune to this: you've imagined a whole elaborate scenario where Clara's character arc has to do with accepting the loss of her past and trying to reestablish her own identity. Even if I agreed with you that on paper it might make for an interesting story - and I do - the devs could just as easily make her a victimized damsel like Aerie, or something else altogether. She could turn out to be Evil too, to make up for the loss of Hexxat, what will the Good RPers do then?

The only way to accommodate the many, many, many directions people want Clara to go is via mods. An official DLC will offer one story, one possibility, and that will be the end of it.
  • AkihikoAkihiko Member Posts: 213
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26028/clara-dlc-patch-spoilers-inside/p1

In case anyone was unaware, there is a feature request with a poll asking for Clara to be made an npc. She is easily winning right now. Maybe there will be a strong enough push one way or the other for the devs to make a statement as to whether it's a possibility or if it will (n)ever happen.
  • RB178RB178 Member Posts: 25

Why don't you make your own thief for your good party?

The point is about my curiosity about Clara and my interest in having a neutral or good aligned/compatible thief with a new storyline and quest in the line of neera (who I adore... sorry).

I also agree with Ayiekie's idea. Doesn't really matter how it would be addressed, the possibilities are limitless. Anyway, it seems such an interesting idea to give two directions/storylines to hexxat, depending on the player's choice (ie save clara or hexxat). It could be a cool way to expand on the way that BG2 incorporates different storylines based on player's choices while at the same time bringing in an extra variation for the thief.
    shawne said:

@Ayiekie: I would love to avoid Clara threads. Unfortunately, they make up about half the forum at the moment, repeating the same fallacies over and over again.

There are easily about 50% of the threads in the forum I never click on (for instance, anything involving Throne of Bhaal, which I have not reached). I see no reason you cannot do the same, even ignoring the fact it's a rather gross exaggeration to say Clara threads take up "half the forum".

People discussing the matter does you no injury. Why try to harass them and stop it? What does it hurt you if people find the idea of a Clara DLC interesting? At worst you can say it may lead to the creation of a DLC you don't want to buy. That's hardly a good enough reason to go around threadcrapping legitimate discussion.
    shawne said:

Being interested in Clara on her own merits would be a perfectly legitimate argument if she had any merits to begin with. @AcridSyphilis is correct on all points: she's a cipher, and as such, only as interesting as you imagine her to be. In reality, a Clara DLC would be a waste of time, because there is absolutely no consensus on who she "should" be if you save her from Hexxat.

I disagree with you on both counts.

On Clara not being interesting: First, that's subjective. I find her interesting as she is, and who exactly are you to tell me I shouldn't? We do know things about her. Not much, sure, but we actually know as much about her as we do half the characters in Baldur's Gate 1 and nobody had any trouble finding them interesting. More to the point, however... the Clara character as it is: a totally normal girl with no future caught up in events beyond her comprehension or control, and then cruelly used and her mind violated by a supernatural being, is already interesting. The totally normal person caught up in events beyond their control is a very well-worn archetype in fiction, and for good reason.

On a Clara DLC being a waste of time: If a Clara DLC is interesting and worth the money to purchase it, it isn't a waste of time. There is never any full consensus on what any character "should" be - that does not mean it's a waste of time to have characters and we should all play Icewind Dale instead.
    shawne said:

You yourself aren't immune to this: you've imagined a whole elaborate scenario where Clara's character arc has to do with accepting the loss of her past and trying to reestablish her own identity.

You misunderstand. I proposed two possible scenarios giving a direction for Clara's character beyond her simply being a victim to be rescued and to feel good about rescuing (I elaborated more on one, but I still proposed two). Neither of them are canonical, I am under no illusions they are, and I am not insisting Beamdog use either of my ideas should they make a Clara DLC. They're simply ideas forming the germ of a scenario I'd personally find interesting, nothing more.
    shawne said:

Even if I agreed with you that on paper it might make for an interesting story - and I do - the devs could just as easily make her a victimized damsel like Aerie, or something else altogether.

Sure, but why is that a problem? I'll evaluate a hypothetical Clara DLC on its own merits, not on the merits of what a Clara DLC would be if I'd written it.

No character will ever satisfy everyone. No DLC will ever satisfy everyone. I'm personally not at all certain I agree with how Neera was characterised in BG2EE (that's tentative; I haven't played through her whole story yet). If it turns out I am dissatisfied with Neera, that does not equate to an argument that Neera should have never been put in BG2EE to begin with.
    Akihiko said:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26028/clara-dlc-patch-spoilers-inside/p1

In case anyone was unaware, there is a feature request with a poll asking for Clara to be made an npc. She is easily winning right now. Maybe there will be a strong enough push one way or the other for the devs to make a statement as to whether it's a possibility or if it will (n)ever happen.

Thanks! Was unaware of this one. Just voted for her! :)
    edited December 2013
    Ayiekie said:

People discussing the matter does you no injury. Why try to harass them and stop it? What does it hurt you if people find the idea of a Clara DLC interesting? At worst you can say it may lead to the creation of a DLC you don't want to buy. That's hardly a good enough reason to go around threadcrapping legitimate discussion.

The legitimate discussion has already happened. There are pages and pages in which all the relevant points have been raised, countered, refined and debated. At some point, it becomes pointless regurgitation of arguments that have already been made and/or refuted. And when you reach that point, you can't really make a claim for the aegis of legitimate discussion, because that's not what's happening anymore.
    Ayiekie said:

On Clara not being interesting: First, that's subjective. I find her interesting as she is, and who exactly are you to tell me I shouldn't? We do know things about her. Not much, sure, but we actually know as much about her as we do half the characters in Baldur's Gate 1 and nobody had any trouble finding them interesting. More to the point, however... the Clara character as it is: a totally normal girl with no future caught up in events beyond her comprehension or control, and then cruelly used and her mind violated by a supernatural being, is already interesting. The totally normal person caught up in events beyond their control is a very well-worn archetype in fiction, and for good reason.

Do you not see how much you're projecting onto her right here?

1. You assume Clara was "totally normal" before getting involved with Hexxat.

2. You assume she had "no future" just because Hexxat dismisses her as a subpar thief (like there aren't a million of those running around the Sword Coast anyway).

3. You assume that Clara would be traumatized by Hexxat's mind control; that would only be true if she were aware of the control and remembered what happened in the interim. If breaking free is more like waking up from a deep sleep, she wouldn't have any reason to agonize over those events. (You never see the real Clara - even in her last moments, she still refers to Hexxat as "Mistress").

You have constructed a version of this character which you find interesting - and that's all well and good, except it's your subjective projection of qualities Clara may or may not actually possess. So for you to claim that she's a universal archetype is problematic at best.
    Ayiekie said:

On a Clara DLC being a waste of time: If a Clara DLC is interesting and worth the money to purchase it, it isn't a waste of time. There is never any full consensus on what any character "should" be - that does not mean it's a waste of time to have characters and we should all play Icewind Dale instead.

That, or accept the story for what it is and use mods to accommodate your personal preferences. There will be Clara mods, it's inevitable; better to use malleable tools for a malleable character than have the devs create a DLC that cannot, in any way, meet the varied and variable expectations of the people who are actually calling for it. If Beamdog decides that Clara is a Neutral Evil human with subpar thieving skills, a cursory storyline and a female-only romance option, then that's what Clara will be; if modders decide Clara is a Neutral Good Skald and you'd rather she was a Chaotic Neutral Blade, that's something you can already do.
    Ayiekie said:

Sure, but why is that a problem? I'll evaluate a hypothetical Clara DLC on its own merits, not on the merits of what a Clara DLC would be if I'd written it.

Because your starting point for arguing that such a DLC should exist in the first place is that the character has enough merit to warrant the additional time and effort necessary to create more content for her. And those merits are entirely subjective.
    Ayiekie said:

No character will ever satisfy everyone. No DLC will ever satisfy everyone. I'm personally not at all certain I agree with how Neera was characterised in BG2EE (that's tentative; I haven't played through her whole story yet). If it turns out I am dissatisfied with Neera, that does not equate to an argument that Neera should have never been put in BG2EE to begin with.

No, but if you then make the argument that you should have been able to give Neera up to the Red Wizards and recruit Ekandor instead, and that Ekandor should therefore be a DLC character, you'd probably need better justification than your own subjective evaluation of what the latter could be.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    NPC!Ekandor's dying line should be 'What? Not again.'

Pretty much agree with everything shawne and AcridSyphilis have said.
    shawne said:

The legitimate discussion has already happened. There are pages and pages in which all the relevant points have been raised, countered, refined and debated. At some point, it becomes pointless regurgitation of arguments that have already been made and/or refuted. And when you reach that point, you can't really make a claim for the aegis of legitimate discussion, because that's not what's happening anymore.

Not everyone was here for every discussion. Some people might even be new. Their opponents in the debates might be new as well.
    shawne said:

Because your starting point for arguing that such a DLC should exist in the first place is that the character has enough merit to warrant the additional time and effort necessary to create more content for her. And those merits are entirely subjective.
    [...]
    No, but if you then make the argument that you should have been able to give Neera up to the Red Wizards and recruit Ekandor instead, and that Ekandor should therefore be a DLC character, you'd probably need better justification than your own subjective evaluation of what the latter could be.

If Ekandor had been part of your group before this decission, I'd demand such a choice too. Clara already is a recruitable NPC in the game. At one point however, control is taken away from the player in a jaring manner and Clara is interchanged with Hexxat. It's about player agency. Any other recruitable NPC -with one exception- allows me to freely decide who is in my party. Claras dead is nothing but railroading.

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    How about an option to save Clara, then she says "piss off I don't like you", and walks away.
    Ok, I understand that this discussion has been going on for a while now. I am pretty new to this forum, at least on the subject. On searching through the forum I could only find unrelated posts in the first 2 pages of search results and one discussion which was ended (I assumed probably due to racial remarks). This is obviously a very hot issue and looking at the reactions, I don't really enjoy this threat as much as I thought I would.

Bloody hell, if there is such a negative attitude to some players' interests, I would suggest to forget about it and I'll refrain from posting about this in the future. I didn't think this would be such a moody community... blagh
    edited December 2013
    shawne said:

The legitimate discussion has already happened.

Says you. The post above is the first time I discussed what I thought might be some good ideas for a expanding on Clara in a DLC. Several people, including yourself, found those ideas worthwhile. Thusforth: not all legitimate discussion has already happened. There are many other avenues for discussion I have not seen that might be interesting to me, and again - who exactly are you to say otherwise?
    shawne said:

Do you not see how much you're projecting onto her right here?

No, and neither would you if you didn't have a knee-jerk hatred of discussion of the character.
    shawne said:

1. You assume Clara was "totally normal" before getting involved with Hexxat.

Because that is how she is described by Hexxat, who has little reason to lie about it. Though I suppose she could have hidden depths Hexxat did not know about, which is hardly a reason to presuppose her to be uninteresting.
    shawne said:

2. You assume she had "no future" just because Hexxat dismisses her as a subpar thief (like there aren't a million of those running around the Sword Coast anyway).

I assume she has no future because of Hexxat's description of her; she had failed to support herself legitimately or through theft and had been forced to turn to prostitution. While I suppose one could argue that is not a situation from which there is no possible escape, and thus "no future" is a bit of an overstatement, it is clearly the opinion of Hexxat when she relates the story and we're given no reason to assume otherwise.
    shawne said:

3. You assume that Clara would be traumatized by Hexxat's mind control; that would only be true if she were aware of the control and remembered what happened in the interim. If breaking free is more like waking up from a deep sleep, she wouldn't have any reason to agonize over those events. (You never see the real Clara - even in her last moments, she still refers to Hexxat as "Mistress").

Hexxat did not command her to beg for her life; the very notion is absurd. Thusforth, that was the real Clara. We're even given auditory evidence of such, as her voice is clearly different than at any other time. By inference, she is indeed aware of her mind control on some level.

I did nothing but draw logical and obvious inferences from the information we are given about Clara.
    shawne said:

That, or accept the story for what it is and use mods to accommodate your personal preferences.

In that case, why should the Enhanced Edition exist at all? Why should Hexxat exist at all? There were already mods with a vampire character. Your insistence that all desire for a DLC character to directed to mod making is at direct odds both with the very nature of the game's existence, as well as the dev team having already openly considered making DLC NPCs (by making a poll asking what people would pay for one). The devs have also said they are not against a DLC for Clara on principle (they have not said they are for it, either).

Your personal crusade against the topic is your own. I suggest you make your own anti-Clara topic, where you and like-minded people can gather to complain that people want to pay for DLC and make sweeping generalisations as to their motives and character, and stop trying to torpedo other people's discussions and fun.

You are the problem here. Not the people making a handful of threads about Clara.
    shawne said:

My starting point for arguing for such a DLC is that I am interested in it and would likely pay for it. That is also the starting point for arguing for any and all possible DLCs for any game ever made. It is not for you to decide what I should or should not be interested in, and all desire for DLC for a videogame is inherently subjective.

Not everyone was here for every discussion. Some people might even be new. Their opponents in the debates might be new as well.

The old threads are still there - OP says as much. And while the debate may get new participants from time to time, not a single one of them has, to date, offered a new line of thought that hasn't already been expressed and dissected at length.

If Ekandor had been part of your group before this decission, I'd demand such a choice too. Clara already is a recruitable NPC in the game. At one point however, control is taken away from the player in a jaring manner and Clara is interchanged with Hexxat. It's about player agency. Any other recruitable NPC -with one exception- allows me to freely decide who is in my party. Claras dead is nothing but railroading.

How is that different from any other story moment in which player agency is suspended in favor of mandatory plot events? You're arguing against the way the game works - and you're comparing Clara to other party members as if the way she's presented is exactly the same as anyone else. Hexxat is the recruitable NPC; Clara's just the bait-and-switch device to get you to her.
    RB178 said:

Ok, I understand that this discussion has been going on for a while now. I am pretty new to this forum, at least on the subject. On searching through the forum I could only find unrelated posts in the first 2 pages of search results and one discussion which was ended (I assumed probably due to racial remarks). This is obviously a very hot issue and looking at the reactions, I don't really enjoy this threat as much as I thought I would.

Bloody hell, if there is such a negative attitude to some players' interests, I would suggest to forget about it and I'll refrain from posting about this in the future. I didn't think this would be such a moody community... blagh

On the first page of search results alone, there are no less than five threads arguing about this subject, not counting your own. It's been done to death at this point, and no one's going to be changing any minds. Best to let it be and move on.
    shawne said:

Best to let it be and move on.

Excellent advice. How about you set a good example for everyone by letting it be and moving on, then?

RB178 said:

It's really only one poster who's determined to threadcrap... I wouldn't read too much into it. Emotions run high about the Clara/Hexxat topic for a variety of reasons right now; it's still not that long since the game came out, so presumably it'll calm down with time.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Akihiko said:

In a Feature Requests subforum, well-below all the popular forums. Only people who actually wish to campaign for new features bother checking it in the first place, and of those, only 56% bothered to vote yes. Sure, I'm twisting numbers a bit, but I hardly call that poll an "easy win" for Clara.

shawne said:

[...]

It's an RPG, shit happens. Khalid, Dynaheir die outside of the player's control, too. Aeris in FF7, Hrothgar and Arundel in IWD, and any number of party members in the Mass Effect series die in scripted events that the player cannot stop. Some characters are written to die. This is a deep and expansive video game, but it remains just a game, and it's unreasonable to expect every potential path to be perfectly open to you.
    RB178 said:

It's less of an issue specifically with Clara, at least for me. I'm extremely frustrated at how narrow people's aspirations for this series seem to be. Fans of this series finally have a game developer working on the enhanced editions of these masterpieces, and all we can think to introduce is downloadable content to get some thief/prostitute/actress into our party? A character written for the sole purpose of disguising a twist for a different character?

I desperately want Beamdog to use their limited resources on fresh, unique content. New quests in new areas. Entirely new NPCs, in under-represented races/kits, or even brand new races/kits. The possibilities are endless. Why are we trying to settle for the first character we see that just so happens to have voiced lines and a portrait?
    edited December 2013
    Madhax said:

I desperately want Beamdog to use their limited resources on fresh, unique content. New quests in new areas. Entirely new NPCs, in under-represented races/kits, or even brand new races/kits. The possibilities are endless. Why are we trying to settle for the first character we see that just so happens to have voiced lines and a portrait?

Because they're interested in that character?

Also, who says that a hypothetical DLC Clara is not going to be an unrepresented kit? I've suggested in another thread that perhaps she ought to be a bard, a currently unrepresented class (Haer'Dalis does not really play like a normal bard).

Aside from that, why does this have to be an either/or thing for you? Is it impossible to have both?
    Ayiekie said:

Madhax said:

Because they're interested in that character?

Also, who says that a hypothetical DLC Clara is not going to be an unrepresented kit? I've suggested in another thread that perhaps she ought to be a bard, a currently unrepresented class (Haer'Dalis does not really play like a normal bard).

Aside from that, why does this have to be an either/or thing for you? Is it impossible to have both?
    Clara is a vanilla thief with underwhelming stats. How much can you justify altering her while still claiming to be interested in her?

And just what IS interesting in her? Average characters plunging into wild adventure is a popular theme of fantasy, but not one that Baldur's Gate subscribes to. The BG saga is about an ascendant demigod and his or her highly capable companions, not the story of how Clara the chipper whore got to get out of the game by almost becoming vampire food.
    Madhax said:

Clara is a vanilla thief with underwhelming stats. How much can you justify altering her while still claiming to be interested in her?

Clara is, in the context of the game, a human being. I am interested in the human being that she is, based both on what we do know and do not know about her. I do not care about and thus do not require alteration of her stats (nor does it really matter to me whether she's a vanilla thief or not, though I think bard might suit her backstory better).
    Madhax said:

And just what IS interesting in her?

Perhaps you could read any of the posts where I elaborated on that? Perhaps you could also consider that maybe just because you don't find something interesting, it does not follow that it is inherently uninteresting to everybody else?
    Madhax said:

Average characters plunging into wild adventure is a popular theme of fantasy, but not one that Baldur's Gate subscribes to. The BG saga is about an ascendant demigod and his or her highly capable companions, not the story of how Clara the chipper whore got to get out of the game by almost becoming vampire food.

Then perhaps it's time that Baldur's Gate did subscribe to it. I find the reactions of a normal person in a party of demigods to be inherently more interesting than anyone who's claim to fame is being an "underrepresented class and/or kit".

And if you don't? That's fine! If a Clara DLC is made and that is its focus, feel free not to buy it. See? It's really that easy, and notice how it doesn't require me to denigrate your preferences, insinuate they are invalid, or make wild assumptions about your motivations for having them.
    Anyway, I'm tired of defending my interest in a Clara DLC, because I shouldn't have to. I am instead going to post a pertinent part of the rules of this forum:

If you attempt to start an argument in a thread that wasn't asking for an argument, and the people in that thread ask you to stop, then stop.

I am asking you to stop. Please stop. Leave the thread to people who want to discuss Clara, and stop trying to start arguments to prevent discussion of Clara.

If you can't control yourselves, I'm requesting that a mod enforce the forum rule on the matter. It is ridiculous that every single thread about the character is continuously invaded by people whose only desire is to stifle the discussion.
    shawne said:

The old threads are still there - OP says as much. And while the debate may get new participants from time to time, not a single one of them has, to date, offered a new line of thought that hasn't already been expressed and dissected at length.

You can't expect people to read 40+ pages of discussion before they comment. Even if the expressed opinions are common, they should still express them. It's the way to gauge public interest.
    shawne said:

How is that different from any other story moment in which player agency is suspended in favor of mandatory plot events? You're arguing against the way the game works - and you're comparing Clara to other party members as if the way she's presented is exactly the same as anyone else. Hexxat is the recruitable NPC; Clara's just the bait-and-switch device to get you to her.

The big difference is Clara already is a recruitable NPC in BG2. Currently the player has no input on whether or not he exchanges Clara for Hexxat. That means huge problems for Hexxats first quest and makes it very non sensical.
    Madhax said:

It's an RPG, shit happens. Khalid, Dynaheir die outside of the player's control, too. [...] Some characters are written to die. This is a deep and expansive video game, but it remains just a game, and it's unreasonable to expect every potential path to be perfectly open to you.

Good RPGs give you as much choice as possible. It's one thing to have something happen that the player would not be able to influence anyway seperated by distance or time. But if this something happens in a situation, where normally the player would be able to act, then it becomes railroading. The game needs to have a pretty good reason to take away my control as a player for story purposes.
    In this case it was handled badly.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69

Good RPGs give you as much choice as possible. It's one thing to have something happen that the player would not be able to influence anyway seperated by distance or time. But if this something happens in a situation, where normally the player would be able to act, then it becomes railroading. The game needs to have a pretty good reason to take away my control as a player for story purposes.

Pretty much this.
    Ayiekie said:

Perhaps you could read any of the posts where I elaborated on that? Perhaps you could also consider that maybe just because you don't find something interesting, it does not follow that it is inherently uninteresting to everybody else?

I read plenty of what you would specifically want in Clara. Nothing that you've listed is present in the character as she stands, though. Why not ask for a brand new NPC that fits those criteria, AND doesn't interfere with an existing NPC, AND works better from a gameplay viewpoint?
    Ayiekie said:

Then perhaps it's time that Baldur's Gate did subscribe to it. I find the reactions of a normal person in a party of demigods to be inherently more interesting than anyone who's claim to fame is being an "underrepresented class and/or kit".

If you're really going to pursue that angle of writing, give me an example of how it would work. What possible justification could Clara, failed actress and former prostitute, have in following the offspring of the God of Murder into a dungeon? Morbid curiosity? What justification could the protagonist have for taking her along? None of it makes sense.

Do you honestly think it didn't occur to ANY of the developers to make Clara a permanent party member? It's easy for the pro-Clara people to daydream about making her a permanent, "true" NPC, but it's pretty clear from how BG2EE was launched that the developers opted against it.
    Ayiekie said:

And if you don't? That's fine! If a Clara DLC is made and that is its focus, feel free not to buy it. See? It's really that easy, and notice how it doesn't require me to denigrate your preferences, insinuate they are invalid, or make wild assumptions about your motivations for having them.

Stop making that goddamn argument. Obviously I don't have to purchase it. What I DO have to endure is not getting fresher, better DLC because the developers spent their finite resources on fleshing out Clara.

This isn't just whether or not you get what you want. This is whether or not you get what you want, at the expense of what other people want. If Beamdog decides to take the time to make a DLC NPC, it will take the place of a theoretical as-yet-unseen new NPC.
    Ayiekie said:

Anyway, I'm tired of defending my interest in a Clara DLC, because I shouldn't have to. I am instead going to post a pertinent part of the rules of this forum:

If you attempt to start an argument in a thread that wasn't asking for an argument, and the people in that thread ask you to stop, then stop.

I am asking you to stop. Please stop. Leave the thread to people who want to discuss Clara, and stop trying to start arguments to prevent discussion of Clara.

If you can't control yourselves, I'm requesting that a mod enforce the forum rule on the matter. It is ridiculous that every single thread about the character is continuously invaded by people whose only desire is to stifle the discussion.

Sorry that you're tired of defending your opinion. I am, too. I see no reason to stop pointing out reasons why making Clara a permanent NPC is ridiculous and time-wasting, and I haven't seen anything even remotely approaching a reason to change my mind on the matter.

You're welcome to "Discuss Clara", which I'm reading as "projecting qualities of your dream NPC onto a blank slate that spends all of five minutes in your party", in any of the existing threads on the subject. But this is a discussion forum, not a soap box. I'm not spamming general with threads titled "NPCs die, deal with it" and "Stop undermining the developers' creative work with your demands to incorporate fan fiction", after all.

GREAT RPGs know when to limit choices in favor of storytelling. Any number of unpreventable deaths in RPGs throughout history proves as much.

If you think the conclusion of Hexxat's recruitment quest was handled imperfectly, that's a perfectly valid opinion to have. One I might even agree with you on. That's a far cry from demanding that Clara, an NPC created SOLELY for the purpose of setting up a plot twist and then dying, needs to be a permanent party member.
This discussion has been closed.