Skip to content

Must have BG2 Mods???

MiseryBusinessMiseryBusiness Member Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in General Modding
So i'm imspired to replay BG2 right now - and i'm interested in some must have mods people can suggest? All I ever really did was Shadowkeeper to make the game a bit easier.

If you could post the name of the mod and maybe why you liked it or think it's a must have? I'd appreciate it! Thanks! :)
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    My friend,
    I must introduce you to Pocket Plane Group which has a ton of great mods. For particular recommended ones please take a look at this forum thread:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,17153.0.html

For NPC mods (ie mods that add new NPCs) please take a look at this thread I created ages ago for NPC reviews:
    http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,21450.0.html

Gibberlings 3 and Spell Hold Studios are other good sites for BG mods.
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/
    http://www.spellholdstudios.net/
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Unfinished business is a must have for me, it restores some content and finishes unfinished quests. I really like the assasinations and extended thief stronghold quest mods, I always thought the thief stronghold was really interesting but more could've been done with it and that mod helps. I've heard a lot of good things about the ascension mod for ToB but only just installed it and haven't reached ToB in my current play through yet. If you're looking for more NPCs I quite like Xan, Angelo, Valen, Kelsey and Keto, I think they're the best made, most interesting NPC mods I've seen and all fit really well in the story (although Xan talks a lot).
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    edited August 2012
    @MiseryBusiness normally I would suggest SCS II but after your words "Shadowkeeper to make the game a bit easier" I am not sure that you would be interested.
  • MiseryBusinessMiseryBusiness Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the replies so far! I've downloaded the Fixes and Tweaks mods, and the mod to skip the beginning dungeon.
    I was considering Valen, Kelsey, and Keto, but decided against it. You've changed my mind! :) I also considered Unfinished Business - so thanks for the tip.
    @Anton - I looked at the Tactics mod and decided against it solely because i'm less interested in making combat difficult and more interested in the story. Shadowkeeper let me make my Sorcerer all powerful. :p
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    If you're going to do ToB you're going to want David Gaider's Ascension mod and Tougher Bhaalspawn mods....
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    @MiseryBusiness: A word of advice - don't skip the beginning dungeon if you're using "Ascension", because you find an item there that becomes rather important later. :)
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    You may want to check the thread The Mod List (with thanks) (and @Tanthalas may want to merge threads).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think I'll just move it to the modding subforum.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @MiseryBusiness
    You may also want to check out 1PP mods for graphical enhancement
    http://www.spellholdstudios.net/ie/1pp
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    http://www.teambg.org/

Lots of mods from tweaks to large adventure mods.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    edited August 2012
    Plasmocat's "BG1 NPCs in BG2 Style" http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=gallery&album=16 like this pack new portrait look great and some are better from original example Ajantis without crap helmet, Iomen#2 BG1 pink with neklace and Dynahire look more sexy. Other option may be BG1 NPC Portrait Pack http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?app=gallery&album=6&sortby=idate&sortorder=asc&st=25 especially Alternate Coran XVIII look cool, Alternate Branwen XVIII look younger, Alternate Faldorn XVIII one of the best portrait for druid i think, Alternate Faldorn XVIII look younger, Alternate Kivan XVIII clean and better, Alternate Viconia XVIII some people looking new portait for Vici that is it.
    Post edited by pablo200783 on
    @MiseryBusiness
    Hey bro, the Valen mod may not have been my highest review - but I would say that it is the most memorable modification that I have ever played.

But then again I'm ruthless BG player, so she fit my style perfectly. People trying to tell a Bhaalspawn what to do? Get that nonsense out of here. Laws? Pffft, leave that for the full mortal chumps.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited August 2012
    Avoid Saerileth and any mod from that author AT ALL COSTS! Also Chloe. They literally turn the game into a creepy "Do exactly as I want or I die of heartbreak/leave you whenever" experience with a spechul Mary Sue. These just scrape the gum off my shoe and make it look like a fancy dinner by compare. They're not even "Ed Wood Movie or the Room" Bad, they're just wretched.

Most other NPC mods are tame if not dull.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Dazzu - not that I would have any direct experience with it, but back when I tried to translate Kulyok's Xan for BG2 I thought it was pretty good.
    edited August 2012
    I never said anything about Xan. Xan was okay, the effort was... well, it wasn't a bad mod, but it got convoluted in its potential paths and the elf only romance is a bit strange. F/M Xan was a fun from a pure gameplay perspective however, if not a bit challenging due to a horrible Con.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Assuming that musthave mods are high quality ones, found in most of WeiDU logs posted, those would be BG2Fixpack, ToBEx, Ascension, SCS/SCS2, Item Revisions, Spell Revisions, aTweaks/Rogue Rebalancing, 1PP, BG2Tweaks. Most of these (all?) have been requested by players to be included into EE. I very likely have forgotten some more.
    Dazzu said:

Avoid Saerileth and any mod from that author AT ALL COSTS! Also Chloe. They literally turn the game into a creepy "Do exactly as I want or I die of heartbreak/leave you whenever" experience with a spechul Mary Sue. These just scrape the gum off my shoe and make it look like a fancy dinner by compare. They're not even "Ed Wood Movie or the Room" Bad, they're just wretched.

Most other NPC mods are tame if not dull.

I have played Saerileth, and while it screams at the top its lungs "I'm a mod NPC", I still find it to be much better than, well, tame and dull NPC mods.
    Where shall I begin my essay on correcting you... hmmm, let's see. Ah yes, 15 year old chosens who have a prudish aversion to sex and practically force your every action... nothing wrong here.

The ability to DIE from heartbreak literally. Still no problem. Hmmm, I MUST go to Spellhold through a new method or else? Well this isn't a problem at all.

What's this, you have a stalker boyfriend and you're shallow about me if I have less than 16 CHR?! This is also fine.

She doth speak and sound like a prattling idiot with misused Broken English? Classy!

Hmmm, I just put a Deathblade in her inventory and it's now dust. That's Okay, I wasn't saving it for Sarevok or anything.

She falls in love with her first lovetalk. That's great!

Hey, I gotta go to Sigil all a sudden in your romance! Spiffy.

The mod creators are a creepy couple who don't accept any concriticism or any questions about Saerileth's ephebophilic age? GREAT STUFF!

I think my sarcasm quota is reached, but I'll continue to crusade to help ensure this masturbatory pile of filth NEVER sees its way into SOA EE! We will not have Saerileth's Gate!
    edited August 2012
    Dazzu said:

Where shall I begin my essay on correcting you... hmmm, let's see. Ah yes, 15 year old chosens who have a prudish aversion to sex and practically force your every action... nothing wrong here.

The ability to DIE from heartbreak literally. Still no problem. Hmmm, I MUST go to Spellhold through a new method or else? Well this isn't a problem at all.

Most of the time she simply voices her opinion and then follows player's choice.
    The amount of "forcing" is no greater than with vanilla cast - who tend to leave party or even fight back sometimes too (mainly Aerie, Keldorn, Mazzy and Valygar).
    The third way to Spellhold is also optional.
    What's this, you have a stalker boyfriend and you're shallow about me if I have less than 16 CHR?! This is also fine.

She doth speak and sound like a prattling idiot with misused Broken English? Classy!

Hmmm, I just put a Deathblade in her inventory and it's now dust. That's Okay, I wasn't saving it for Sarevok or anything.

She falls in love with her first lovetalk. That's great!
    For a mod that doesn't attempt to disguise itself as vanilla content this is acceptable.
    The destruction of evil items only happens after you give it to her again. For the first time you only get the warning.
    Hey, I gotta go to Sigil all a sudden in your romance! Spiffy.
    Jaheira romance, of course, is innocent of such things, yeah.

And if the first thing people notice is the paedo, well, guess it only shows their... preferences?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Doth hath maketh thou sad, :(
    @Dazzu
    I would not evaluate the Saerileth mod so harshly as you because the mod itself does some things very well, such as add a new area, have a lot of scripted events, and generally do a lot of things better than other mods out there.

Honestly just because of the huge polarization in opinions it's probably worth checking out. Some people LOVE the mod, however there are some very vocal detractors out there.

I would by no means consider it a must have, however it is one that if you love BG2 and mods, is worth checking out.

@Dazzu - not that I would have any direct experience with it, but back when I tried to translate Kulyok's Xan for BG2 I thought it was pretty good.

Kulyok has some great stuff. Certainly worth looking at, she has done some of the best quests and scripting and is a published author.

Having said that, I can't stand Xan's personality. I wanted to review the mod - but Xan always gets the boot from my party after roughly two banters.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Kulyok's Xan is my favorite NPC mod of all time.
    ...and here is a great resource for finding mods to play: http://modlist.pocketplane.net/index.php?ax=list&cat_id=4

I highly recommend Kulyok's Xan, the Widescreen Mod, Spell Revisions, Item Revisions, Sword Coast Strategems II, Ascension and Turnabout, and IEP Banters.

Also, Romantic Encounters is amusing.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @Ardanis LOL!! you're kidding, right? I can't even kill that guy in the docks without her going psycho on me. Saerilith is almost well written... except for the "I speak in old english, BUT not all the time" which kinda breaks it a little. Sorry to the makers of this mod, but you gotta fix it. There's another one of their mods which was a drow that had a backstory that didn't make much sense. It's all a bunch of half way decent ideas gone horribly wrong.

A few good NPCs that I've played are: Kelsey, Amber, Lehtaniel, (The wraith, not the gay Kensai), Xan (for BG2), and I'm about to try that new druid NPC that recently came out.
    Yasraena is the mod you're thinking of.
    I was never a fan of Saerileth or Yasraena either.
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    I posted this elsewhere already: a map extending from BG to Amn with limited access to Amn. The city could be closed to foreigners because of the war. Some areas in the cloud peaks could be cool. Access to Umar Hills and a few other areas. Would that not be awesome?
    edited August 2012
    Xavioria said:

@Ardanis LOL!! you're kidding, right? I can't even kill that guy in the docks without her going psycho on me. Saerilith is almost well written... except for the "I speak in old english, BUT not all the time" which kinda breaks it a little. Sorry to the makers of this mod, but you gotta fix it. There's another one of their mods which was a drow that had a backstory that didn't make much sense. It's all a bunch of half way decent ideas gone horribly wrong.

As you say, it is almost well written. No talks about how much in-game items cost in a shop, nor how to exploit some spells towards sexual goals (I kid you not, I saw such!), nor "I guess" parasites, nor distortion of Bioware characters' (well... almost), nor meaningless chit-chat about nothing, etc. Basically, no smart-ass stuff that some mods present as the pinnacle of their creativity.

That is a good reason enough for me to give it a higher score, and outweighs mod's technical and conceptual drawbacks. Those are present, and are bothersome sometimes - but as I have said in the first place, for a mod it does it's job done.

As for the *almost well written*, few are *perfect*, really.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    My current game has Xan in the party and while I enjoy his company, he does get a little one-note after a while. As a hundreds of years old elven enchanter with a genius intellect and wielder of a moonblade, it was a little dissappointing they mostly focused on 'he's also very pessimistic'. It's his most remarkable trait, yes, but hardly his only. And while I like banters and interjections, Xan has so many (more than all the other NPC's combined) that he overwhelms the party a bit.

On the other hand, he does occasionally point out how *stupid* the things are that you do, such as randomly jumping into Watcher's Keep (the ancient prison of an unspeakably powerful evil which may get loose if the guards weren't so crap at their job) while there's a thousand more important things to do, which is pretty funny.
    It's refreshing to have an NPC that tells you "You suck, we're all going to die" once in a while. Just not...everywhere.
    I quote someone else here, but here's a good analogy:

If Saerileth was an ice cream she would cause birth defects.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I think MODS are made for the modder's use and what he/she would like to add. Most appear to be to add love interests or 'just another NPC', but if that is what the modder wants, then so be it. I almost added the vampire NPC when I last played BG, but didn't - don't know why not.

I'm not going to play until BG:EE comes out - too much trouble to get it running and installed. I'm really hoping some of the mods will make it into BG:EE over time.