Skip to content

Custom Soundsets not working?

For some reason, custom soundsets only work for me in the character creation screen. In game, however, they are all mute. I was hoping installing custom soundsets wasn't going to be super complicated. :(

If anyone has made custom soundsets work in game I'd love to hear how you did it, thanks!

Comments

• FafnirFafnir Member Posts: 232
    You should rename them as:

custom*1.wav
    custom*2.wav
    custom*y.wav
    custom*z.wav

with * being a number between 1 and 9 (not sure if 0 works, it probably does).
    For some reason sets with any other name end up being muted in game.
  • serialthrillaserialthrilla Member Posts: 26
    Thanks for the help guys :)

For some reason most of the custom soundsets I've downloaded have more than 26 wav files (usually about 35ish). The other problem is I don't know which order the files should be in - I tried the aforementioned custom1a-z but then the sounds are usually all mixed up in game (i.e. he does battle cry when being selected rather than engaging in a fight).
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I was wondering about this as well. Is there any documentation on which letter sound is used for what?
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    XXXXXXXa.wav : Battle Cry
    XXXXXXXb.wav : Becoming Leader
    XXXXXXXc.wav : Tired
    XXXXXXXd.wav : Bored
    XXXXXXXe.wav : Badly Wounded
    XXXXXXXf.wav : Selected 1
    XXXXXXXg.wav : Selected 2
    XXXXXXXh.wav : Selected 3
    XXXXXXXi.wav : Action Acknowledgement 1
    XXXXXXXj.wav : Action Acknowledgement 2
    XXXXXXXk.wav : Action Acknowledgement 3
    XXXXXXXl.wav : Being Hit
    XXXXXXXm.wav : Dying
    XXXXXXXn.wav : In Forest
    XXXXXXXo.wav : In City
    XXXXXXXp.wav : In Dungeon
    XXXXXXXq.wav : Daytime
    XXXXXXXr.wav : Nighttime
    XXXXXXXs.wav : Action Acknowledgement 4
    XXXXXXXt.wav : Action Acknowledgement 5
    XXXXXXXu.wav : Action Acknowledgement 6
    XXXXXXXv.wav : Action Acknowledgement 7
    XXXXXXXw.wav : Reaction to Party Member Death
    XXXXXXXx.wav : Rare Select 1
    XXXXXXXy.wav : Rare Select 2
    XXXXXXXz.wav : Critical Hit Given
    XXXXXXX1.wav : Critical Miss
    XXXXXXX2.wav : Target Immune
    XXXXXXX3.wav : Inventory Full
    XXXXXXX4.wav : Successfully Picked A Pocket
    XXXXXXX5.wav : Successfully Hid In shadows
    XXXXXXX6.wav : Spell Disrupted
    XXXXXXX7.wav : Set A Trap
    XXXXXXX8.wav : Battle Cry 2
    XXXXXXX9.wav : Battle Cry 3
    XXXXXXX0.wav : Selected 6
    XXXXXXX_.wav : Action Acknowledgement 8
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited December 2013
    As of 1.2 we no longer need the stupid and annoying "custom" naming convention actually. I quickly put together a voice set I named "Paladin" using .wav files from another game to verify this. Note that you don't need a sound for every event either; for instance I didn't add any for Successfully Picked A Pocket or Successfully Hid in Shadows. Just make sure to keep to the 8-character naming limit and everything seems peachy.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's also noteworthy that in BGEE CHARSND.2DA has less assigned entries than in BG2EE - for instance the sounds for when landing a critical, using a weapon that can't harm the target, losing spell concentration, fumbling/missing by rolling a natural 1 etc don't have entries, so those sounds aren't used. If you want them to play you'll have to assign them manually.
    So, just so I'm clear, when there are 3 sounds for one action, the first is the most commonly used, second less used, and third seldom used? It certainly seems with NPCs that some sounds seem to be used more often.
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    So to clarify, if I have a custom voice set with the following names for each wav file...

Deekin1a.wav
    Deekin1b.wav
    etc...

They should work? Because they are mute in my game and I cannot figure out why. Something I've been stumped on for awhile.

Also, is there no file or way to get it so that custom voices also display the subtitle text in the game like the vanilla voices?
    It's the order in which they're used, DrHappyAngry. Apart from "Rare Select" ones which are, obviously, rare ones (only after excessive clicking) though they too follow the order in which they're played.

They should work Varwulf, if properly named (which they seem to be) and of proper format. As for the subtitles, that requires editing some .2da file apparently and is a bit more work.
    Do you know which 2da file? Just curious. But yeah as far as I know everything looks right, still the voice set is muted though =/
    edited December 2013

Varwulf said:

Do you know which 2da file? Just curious. But yeah as far as I know everything looks right, still the voice set is muted though =/

If you're playing Baldur's Gate, you need to use the naming convention mentioned above.
    Do you mean the customXa.wav, customXa.wav? Because I thought someone said that with the 1.2 patch that custom could = anything now. I'm attempting this with Baldur's Gate EE.
    Huh. Seems it only works for BGII:EE indeed. I too was sure they'd said it was fixed for both BGs. Seems not.
    Very good to know, thank you, I will try when I get home :)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It will be working for both when we release the next patch for BG:EE, but we're not quite there yet.
    Awesome. Hopefully over the holidays I can start my project to make Baldur's Gate more metal.
    Hmm, this is the second time I asked what 2da file I need to modify to get the subtitles of my custom sound sets in the game and no one has answered. Is it really a huge mystery or? :O
    Varwulf said:

Hmm, this is the second time I asked what 2da file I need to modify to get the subtitles of my custom sound sets in the game and no one has answered. Is it really a huge mystery or? :O

Well I dunno, never messed with subtitles. But I would assume, from the sound of things;
    Shin said:

It's also noteworthy that in BGEE CHARSND.2DA...

Well, I have tried...

custom1[x].wav
    Custom1[x].wav
    CUSTOM1[x].wav

And I have had no luck in getting my soundsets to work O.o
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Dee said:

It will be working for both when we release the next patch for BG:EE, but we're not quite there yet.

Will the BG2 voice sets be added to BG1 (and vice versa)?
    If someone would like to try my soundset to see if they can get it to work for them I'd appreciate it.

For the life of me I cannot get this to work, even with the Simple Customization Mod. My sounds are always mute. I did manage to get the dialog strings to show up though, but still the sound is mute...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited February 2014
    @Varwulf I've created a CRE with an exported CHR and used WeiDU to assign the sounds with the subtitles, started a multiplayer game and changed the PC for the CRE I've created with the Console, exported the custom CRE as a CHR and then it worked fine.
    And yeah, I can't find a way to set the sounds in the game.
  • mi16reisenmi16reisen Member Posts: 10
    I've got a noob question: What exactly is the format of these sounds? I got .WAV files ready but whenever I play on my BG2EE on iPad it crashes the game on custom1.wav sounds. I know I can't play the original .wavs on Windows Media Player (but I can on sound editing software) but I'm not exactly sure why?
  • mi16reisenmi16reisen Member Posts: 10
    Nevermind I answered my own question. Used DLTC to convert them from WAV to WAVC(?) files.
    @mi16reisen Perhaps that is what I need to do with my files, convert them to WAVC (or whatever) format.