Skip to content

Which kit/class would be awesome on a new NPC?

XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
I made a poll a few weeks ago asking which Classes weren't represented well in the trilogy. The winners were the bard, the fighter, and the multi-class. So I'm going to go in depth just to see what else everyone thinks in terms of kits :)

I won't add the kits that already exist in game though, as I feel like that sounds like a redundency check.
  1. Which kit/class would be awesome on a new NPC?64 votes
    1. Pure Fighter
        1.56%
    2. Pure Bard
        3.13%
    3. Kensai
      12.50%
    4. Dwarven Defender
      17.19%
    5. Wizard Slayer
      10.94%
    6. Wizard Slayer (If the class is changed around)
        9.38%
    7. Jester
        9.38%
    8. Skald
      20.31%
    9. A different and new type of fighter
        4.69%
    10. A different and new type of bard
      10.94%

Comments

• RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2013
    I would like a female romancable human skald for the different party buff that the class can bring to the party
    Post edited by Ryofu on
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I like the idea of a new Skald and new Barbarian, who could have a cool viking love interest in eachother but not the PC.
    People always hate the "paired" characters, but I kinda like the idea for those two.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Personally, I'd love to see a new Bard kit. Or to be more precise: a Demi-Bard kit!

The Complete Bard's Handbook features a most interesting demi-bard called the Halfling Whistler. These unheralded heroes of the halfling race are an odd mix of farmer, forest wanderer, and entertainer. From whistling up a storm, communicating with animals, or casting various divine ranger/druid spells (they loose the ability to cast wizard spells though), this demi-bard could really fill a niche amongst the current presented Bard kits.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I personally would like a Swashbuckler and Dwarven Defender...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I just think it would be fun to have a jester around.
  • KurzKurz Member Posts: 12
    A Female Dwarven Defender, or if you wanted to be really extravagant, a female Duergar Defender.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Barbarian.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Mazzy's got the fighter thing covered. I think a wizard slayer would be neat, and as an NPC she could have extra abilities that the kit doesn't get. I'd give her a few inquisitor dispels or something.
  • I voted for Skald, because I like the idea of having more Bard options than Haer'dalis, but I would be pretty happy seeing a Dwarven Defender as well. The lack of fighters in the game just doesn't seem as pressing to me, because while there are only a handful of fighter NPCs, there are tons of warrior-type NPCs.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Jester would be awesome because jesters are fun/funny to have around. I would prefer his dialog over his combat prowess.
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    Why is there no "other" option?

Assuming we're talking BG2EE, I want an NPC Sorcerer. Or Dragon Disciple. Actually, that'd be even more awesome.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Damn, I picked Dwarven Defender, but that was before I saw Skald!
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    Jester would be pretty cool, though i still want my evil clown class :(
  • The other reason I like Skald is that from a storytelling perspective, it allows for an archetype that is not currently filled by an existing official NPC. Whereas other underserved kits/classes have existing NPCs that fit a similar (though not identical) story niche, such as Jan (Jester), Korgan (Dwarven Defender), or Minsc (Barbarian). This is not to say you couldn't do interesting NPCs of those classes, but I think a Skald would have the potential to bring something notably different to the table.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Rev up that Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian!
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    edited December 2013
    I'd love to see a Dragon Disciple NPC
    Post edited by Fredjo on
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Bladesinger.

You know it's true.
  • manyfistmanyfist Member Posts: 6
    BG2 needs Bards, there's only one! We're also lacking Half-Orc & Shorties. So perhaps a Half-Orc Skald, with 15 Str, 17 Dex, 15 Con, 18 Int, 15 Wis, 20 Cha.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    I would like to either see a human fighter whose stats would allow him to dual-class into anything or a character who has one of the triple multiclass.

Also (as it has been mentioned) we only have one bard in BG2. I'd like to see either a skald or a jester added in as well (but not a pure bard or a blade, since pure bards are boring and we already have a blade).
  • WolkWolk Member Posts: 279

I would like to either see a human fighter whose stats would allow him to dual-class into anything

We already have one that can do that in TOB, except in cleric for which we have Anomen that already did it for us.

I don't really want a WS NPC, I just want the class to be changed.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited December 2013
    why is pure fighter up there we have Mazzy

id take a bard or any fighter kit out of those on the list but id rather have a cleric to anything
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

I would like to either see a human fighter whose stats would allow him to dual-class into anything or a character who has one of the triple multiclass.

Same here, I don't want to wait until TOB for one. I think it'd be neat to have a guy who's really awful at being a fighter but is forced to be one for whatever reason (it pays the bills) and you help him discover his true calling.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Out of that list, a Kensai would definitely be the coolest option. Out of personal interest, an Assassin or a Shadowdancer would be better for an NPC. In fact I was actually hoping Hexxat would be a kitted thief, but I guess not.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    But only if the writing is funny.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Flashburn said:

Rev up that Ghostwise Halfling Barbarian!

How about we don't? That guy stabbed me in the face last time he got riled up!
    Kaigen said:

The other reason I like Skald is that from a storytelling perspective, it allows for an archetype that is not currently filled by an existing official NPC. Whereas other underserved kits/classes have existing NPCs that fit a similar (though not identical) story niche, such as Jan (Jester), Korgan (Dwarven Defender), or Minsc (Barbarian). This is not to say you couldn't do interesting NPCs of those classes, but I think a Skald would have the potential to bring something notably different to the table.

The great thing about Skald is that it can work with a lot of the Barbarian characterizations that Minsc does not cover, like the intelligent warrior poet barbarian. In fact, Branwen's sister for next NPC, imo!
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Dragon Disciple would be very cool.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806

I don't think people like that can really exist, even in a game. All 15-17 in your stats in pretty ridiculous.

• SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Or a Barbarian.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    We need more dwarves. How about a girl dwarf for once? Kicking ass in her dwarf-plate.
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    edited December 2013
    a female romancable dwarven defender would be nice too :p

I would also like a female romancable beholder NPC

hey CHARNAME is the son of Bhaal and Bhaal plowed anything that could move.