Skip to content

Magic Resisting Charnames?

As per the thread title, how much MR can CHARNAMEs achieve?

A few off the top of my head:

Any Mage can get to 100% with just Polymorph Self into a Mustard Jelly, as can anyone with the Cloak of the Sewers, but.... Well, you're a puddle of ooze. Not very heroic. Or durable.

Mage/Thieves and Fighter/Mage/Thieves can get 75% with Carsomyr, Ring of Gaxx, Amulet of Power and the Robe of Vecna, and 100% with Wraithform. Not sure if Wraithform would stack with PfMW or not (but hooray if it does). Absolutely great for F/M/Ts, but there's a lack of proficiency for Mage/Thieves to consider of course, and no spellcasting under Wraith Form.

Without Wraithform and just going for equipment (and spells), you can get 80% by swapping the Amulet of Power for Kaligun's or Seldarine's Amulet, but lose immunity to Level Drain and Silence.

Fighter/Thieves who don't have to care about spells get 90% with Human Skin, Gaxx, Kaligun's Amulet and Carsomyr, and I'm pretty sure with the new Blackguard Carsomyr equivalent they can get the same 90%.

Monks, of course, can get 98% with Kaligun's and the Ring of Gaxx, but only when they get to the level cap.

Any other good ones out there?

Comments

• mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    I don't think you can get wraithform in bg2ee, it was erased from my casters spellbook when I imported him. otherwise that's a pretty good list. I agree, monks get the highest
  • rectifierrectifier Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    You're forgetting some of the permanent magic resistance increases that your main charname may obtain. In fact my main in ToB can get 105% magic resistance using Seldarine's and 100% with Amulet of Power.

Also, the Silver Dragon armor in ToB gives 15% magic resistance...amongst other things.
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    Don't forget about Potion of Magic Protection, adding 50% MR (although I believe the potion buff is dispellable)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Good points all, though why they'd remove the no-longer-buggy wraithform is completely beyond me.

For Permanent Boosts we have... Lums (5%) and Hell Trials (10%)? I don't think there's any others.

So...

Evil only: Human Flesh (20%), Silver Dragon Armour (15%) - unless it's just non-good only?.

Class Specific:
    Paladins/Blackguards: Carsomyr/Unholy Ravager (50%)
    Clerics: Holy Symbol (5%)
    Mages: Robe of Vecna (10%)

Enkidu's Plate (5%)

Shield of... The Lost? (5%)
    Flail: Flail of Ages (5%)
    Katana: Hindo's Doom (10%)
    Bastard Sword: Purifier +5 (30%)

Non-Fighter (basically): Amulet of Power (5%)

Universal:
    Ring of Gaxx (10%),
    Amulet of Seldarine/Kaligun (10%).

And Potions of Magic Resistance - not infinite use, but 50%.

Looks like Mages actually get the worst MR, then (Good) Clerics?
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    I did run bg2 10 times and all i got was that lousy %100 magic resistance...