Skip to content

any tips for stable connectivity on beamdog servers?

ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
the game with me, @heindrich1988, @squaretin, and @sonarch didn't go so well with connectivity issues. we got into a game once with me as host, but heindrich was to be our bhaalspawn. i was hoping that we might be able to find some tips from you other players if there are any to help us connect. we hope to try again saturday so I really hope we could get some quick answers. all help is welcome. they are all european while i am american, but i was the only successful host. sonarch had the most connection trouble, but we all had a good bit. thank you for answers :)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Yeah basically it seems we can usually get 1 person into the lobby, but when the 3rd or 4th play tries to join, their game crashes and the players currently in the lobby gets kicked. Is it a problem with Beamdog servers or were we meant to do something setup-wise?

I played a 2-player MP game without much problems earlier this week, so these problems were pretty unexpected.
  • CutupsoldierCutupsoldier Member Posts: 7
    I can't even get one person in my game.. Is there anything specific that I need to do on my end like opening ports back in the day? I was reading somewhere that people on steam cannot play with people that bought it from beamdog?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2013

I can't even get one person in my game.. Is there anything specific that I need to do on my end like opening ports back in the day? I was reading somewhere that people on steam cannot play with people that bought it from beamdog?

one of our players bought it on steam and we are all playing now. i don't know if it makes it any harder than everyone having beamdog, however.

anyway, maybe try using hamachi like back in the day. we got tired of trying beamdog and did hamachi and it works mostly ok. at least we don't crash while joining, kicking other players that are already in the game when we crash. our host also isn't port forwarded so you should be fine with just hamachi and tcp/ip protocol.
  • CutupsoldierCutupsoldier Member Posts: 7
    bah hamachi
  • LocoDuvetLocoDuvet Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    @Heindrich1988 @Cutupsoldier we were having this problem just now. After trying a bunch of stuff, we managed to solve it like this.

Setup:

Computer 1
    Beamdog, Win7
    Computer 2
    Beamdog, Win7
    Computer 3
    Steam, Win7

I was the host. After trying to host a few games, I sent my baldur.ini to Computer 2. He just changed his playername in it, and then used it like it was. Computer 3 deleted his ini-file, and started game. Since then, the only problem we've had (~2hours) are 2 disconnects for 1 player at a time. took them 5-10 sec to join again, no problem. We're transiting maps, saving, no problem.

Oh and @Cutupsoldier you need to open (both tcp and udp) 2300-2400, 6073 and 47624