Skip to content

Save files question

PaladynPaladyn Member Posts: 23
Hi!
First of wall hello! Seond of all, it's incredible, that after thirteen years, Baldur's Gate returns.

Please excause me, if this question was asked before, but I've found no answer on forums. Believe me or not, but I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate and have one question, that bothers me a lot. Will I be able to tranfer my save data into Enhanced Edition, or will I have to start game from the very beginning? I play clean game-out-of CD-Roms (yes, the one that was released in 1999!).

Best regards!

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Hi and welcome. The issue of save file compatibility between BG1/BG2 and BG:EE has not been definitely answered yet, as far as I know. However, since the original BG used another engine than BG2/ToB (which BG:EE will be using), it seems likely that you at least would have to use Tutu or a similar conversion.
  • DecayOfSoulsDecayOfSouls Member Posts: 21
    I don't think old saves will be compatible just due to the amount of changes they are making to the foundations of the game. I can't confirm that for sure though.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    As far as i know they won't be compatible without modding i don't think but theres always hope
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    It's highly unlikely that your save games will be compatible with a heavily altered edition of the game.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Garm said:

It's highly unlikely that your save games will be compatible with a heavily altered edition of the game.

^This. :/
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,422
    True that. Remember that TotSC couldn't have additional NPCs, since it would break the game for anyone already playing BG and loading a save? BGEE would suffer from that at least, and then from the myriads of changes and improvements. Kits for example.
  • PaladynPaladyn Member Posts: 23
    Thanx a lot! It seems I'll witnes Gorion's death one more time.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    It wouldn't bother me that much if they're not compatible. I still have the original BG installed on my computer, and I plan to have them both installed at the same time.
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    The saves would probably be incompatible, but the ability to convert an old character file is possible and not all that unlikely. I'd wait for official response before giving up hope.