Skip to content

Valygar, Keldorn, or Mazzy for party? (Advice wanted.)

I am working my way through BG2EE right now (using the character with which I completed BGEE for the first time), and would be grateful for some advice.

My party:

1. PC (swashbuckler [level 6] > mage [currently level 12]) [Chaotic Good]
2. Neera
3. Rasaad
4. Anomen (now 'Sir' and LG)
5. Imoen (to be added once we get to Spellhold)

I'm trying to decide which of the following 3 NPCs to use in the final slot:

a. Valygar (just completed the Planar Sphere with him)
b. Mazzy
c. Keldorn

I'm somewhat torn, as I like all three, and I'm not willing to remove any of the other four NPCs (so please don't recommend that I do so).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• nietzschelivesnietzschelives Member Posts: 36
    I've always been a fan of Mazzy from a character/roleplaying perspective.

From a gameplay perspective, it doesn't seem like you need any spell debuffing abilities, so Keldorn's dispel isn't really necessary. I guess it just depends on your playstyle. Do you want another frontline combatant, an archer, or a backstabber?

It seems like any of these characters would work, so it just comes down to who you like the best.
  • While normally I'd say Mazzy, you have Anomen in the party, and once you see them banter you may not like Anomen so well. I'd lean towards taking Valygar, just because he adds something unique to the party (stealthy scouting and backstabbing) which you don't already have. Keldorn would be a solid choice as well.
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    Valygar, like any ranger or ranger kit is pure garbage in D&D computer games. Keldorn is a god with Carsomyr and Mazzy is a goddess with shortbows. I'd say having a holy avenger wielding paladin is better than not having a holy avenger wielding paladin.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    You have Anomen, which means either him or Keldorn use the gloves of dexterity (set dexterity to 18).
    You have 3 mages (you included), 1 cleric and 1 monk.
    You cleric is Anomen, which means you have a tanker in the team also. If you're smart you're going to put the gloves on anomen, as he is a best tanker than keldorn and can buff himself for more dexterity.
    Early game you melee power is low, later game Rassad will start to kick ass.
    You have Neera in the party

Power Game perspective:

Keldorn will lack defense with the gauntlet in Anomen's wirst. Still with a 2HS he can attack from distance, from the 3 NPCs listed by you, he is by far the most powerful. If you want pure power, go for him but keep him at middle range battle and only send him after Anomen start tank the enemies.

From a Roleplay Perspective:

I believe Vaylgar will have some VERY interesting banters with Neera. She's not evil but her magic is nonetheless dangeours than Lavok's magic, being unpredictable as it is. Would be interesting to see what would happen.

Keldorn would have some minor banters with Rasaad probally, also.

From a balance perspective:

Mazzy is a fighter with 18 in dexterity. Early game, even with the wrong proficiences (short sword and short bow), she would be a good source of physical damage, while Anomen tank and later game she could go for the front lines with better weapons and a belt of giant strengh.

• maerduinmaerduin Member Posts: 21
    kamuizin said:

From a Roleplay Perspective:

I believe Vaylgar will have some VERY interesting banters with Neera. She's not evil but her magic is nonetheless dangeours than Lavok's magic, being unpredictable as it is. Would be interesting to see what would happen.

Keldorn would have some minor banters with Rasaad probally, also.

The banters between Valygar and Neera were some of my favorites to write. It's too bad you can't fit in Keldorn in addition to Valygar (unless you do so before getting Imoen), as there's one that involves all three of them.
  • maerduin said:

The banters between Valygar and Neera were some of my favorites to write. It's too bad you can't fit in Keldorn in addition to Valygar (unless you do so before getting Imoen), as there's one that involves all three of them.

*looks at personal chart showing future NPC configurations designed to catch the banters*

*notes chart is based on the assumption that all banters are two person*

*crumples up chart and pours a drink*
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 876
    maerduin said:

Hmmm… maybe I'll keep Valygar and add Keldorn until Spellhold.

Iirc, at some point there is a plausible role-play option for Keldorn to leave the party (to spend more time with his wife), so hopefully that would happen before I leave for Spellhold.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Yes there is.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Hm. I'd lean toward Keldorn normally (Inquisitors are death to mages, and Carsomyr is never bad!) but as was mentioned earlier both he and Anomen make good use of the gloves of dexterity for close-range combat. Mazzy's a nasty little death-dealer from a distance if you get her a good bow, so she might fit better.
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I've always been a huge fan of Mazzy. She has virtually all of the benefits of a paladin (good saves for shorty bonuses, lay on hands, resist fear), but levels as fast as a fighter and can get grand mastery in her weapons. So she'll have more attacks and levels than either Keldorn or Valygar. Her strength is worse than those two, but she has a strength spell, and later in the game you should have enough belts to keep her strength competitive.

I also really like her personality, and hey, she's voiced by Jennifer Hale.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    edited December 2013
    Looking at your party comp, I would go with Mazzy.

The reason being that Mazzy will outdamage the other 2 for basically the entire time you have in the party. Give her a bow and keep her back until you get her enough levels to correct her horrible shortsword proficiency, and then(with a belt) she will outdamage the other two in melee as well.

Generally the reasons for taking Keldorn include his dispels, and the Holy Avenger. And while it is true you won't have anybody to use the sword, Keldorn's dispels aren't really needed with the 3 mage party that you have. This also allow ensures that Anomen gets the Dex bracers he needs.

Valygar...is Valygar. You take him if you enjoy painted rocks, because that is about how interesting he is.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704

Looking at your party comp, I would go with Mazzy.

The reason being that Mazzy will outdamage the other 2 for basically the entire time you have in the party. Give her a bow and keep her back until you get her enough levels to correct her horrible shortsword proficiency, and then(with a belt) she will outdamage the other two in melee as well.

Generally the reasons for taking Keldorn include his dispels, and the Holy Avenger. And while it is true you won't have anybody to use the sword, Keldorn's dispels aren't really needed with the 3 mage party that you have. This also allow ensures that Anomen gets the Dex bracers he needs.

Valygar...is Valygar. You take him if you enjoy painted rocks, because that is about how interesting he is.

I like vaylgar! With the right companions he is surely interesting. With Mazzy and him in the same party things get even more fun! A spellcaster main char also has some special banters with Vaylgar.
    edited December 2013
    kamuizin said:

I like vaylgar! With the right companions he is surely interesting. With Mazzy and him in the same party things get even more fun! A spellcaster main char also has some special banters with Vaylgar.

I give Valygar a lot of crap, but I will concede that if you MUST have Valygar, you should bring Mazzy along because that is where he "shines."

I just find his personality really flat. He isn't as bad as Cernd, though.
    nano said:

I'm happy to see that so many people like Mazzy! She always seemed relatively unpopular but I never understood why because I think she's really likable.

I think one of the reasons people don't like Mazzy is that she is a victim of being a project character. When you first get her she is a god from range by sub-par up close.

It isn't until after you give her some points in something other than shortsword and get her a giant's belt that she becomes a death machine like Korgan.

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I really wanted to use Mazzy as my main fighter this time around but I heard she doesn't get along with Hexxat... I guess my fighter/illusionist will have to be my mini whirlwind of death instead...

Next time I guess I will try a midget party with Korgan, Mazzy and Jan... Any other midgets that fit in there?

Just need to check, I'll be ok with CG CHARNAME, Jahiera, Hexxat, Neera, Imoen and Viconia right? (Also do you guys recommend Neera or Nalia? I've used Nalia before so wanted to dump her for Neera after D'Arnise Hold...)
    @kryptix: I would take Neera over Nalia. You don't need another thief (with Hexxat and Imoen), and Neera will have more spells.
  • maerduinmaerduin Member Posts: 21
    @Kaigen: Don't despair! I'd still class the banter I mentioned as a Neera/Valygar one -- it just ends slightly differently if Keldorn is there to interject.

@kryptix: Maybe your short party CHARNAME could be a dwarven defender? Alas, you'll probably need a (tall) cleric and pure mage, too.
    Hmm.... Maybe I can get by if I make an inquisitor and use viconia as a healer since drow are like 5 foot right?

No one else would be remotely considered short though... Unless I mod imoen to match charname's race. Can any of the midgets be paladins?
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    Only humans can be pallies, otherwise Mazzy would already be one.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    If any of the shorties deserves to be a paladin it's Mazzy. I'd make her a Cavalier.
    A dwarven fighter cleric multi just doesn't seem as good as a pally haha, can they do F/C/T? I think I'd have to remove the exp cap but I'd still have Carsomyr then...
  • F/C/T Would be fun if you could get it, but sadly it's not a valid combo in BGEE (maybe someday).
    Ah F/M/T would be too close to this F/M... Oh well I'll come up with something...
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I prefer Valygar out of the 3 though he has the personality of cardboard.... flat, and slightly bendable.
    Thanks for all the comments!

I've been enjoying using Valygar to stalk around and backstab, especially now that he has Celestial Fury. I think that I'll keep him, although Keldorn is proving to be quite impressive as well.

I'm actually tempted to keep Valygar and Keldorn, and eventually remove Anomen. But obviously having no priest would make life tough...

Mazzy I'll save for a future run.
  • butsambutsam Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2013
    I agree with your latest assessment -- keep Valygar and Keldorn, dump Anomen. Both Valygar and Keldorn are quite useful! Although Keldorn's debuffing isn't *necessary* for your party, as others have said, it is very helpful for your first playthrough especially, since you will want True Sight all the time later in the game. Sure, you could have your mages memorize it (so Keldorn isn't strictly necessary)...but now you get it for free to open up other slots. :)
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Well if it's between keeping a Cleric and losing one, keeping Anomen is the better choice. He's not the best in the world but he gets the job done at least.