Skip to content

Sorcerer's Worth it?

I played a sorcerer through both BGEE and BG2 (non EE) and loved it, UNTIL I got ot the last boss. My basic strat was timestop - improved alacrity - Lower Resistance x 4 and then a bunch of offensive spells until timestop wore off. My problem is that that strat got me through every encounter up until the last encounter in BG2 due to the way the fight works, no spoilers. I eventually had to cheat my 2 warriors ot be massive before I could beat the boss. So, am I going to run into the same problem or should I just run a thief/assassain (my second choice)?

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It's easily one of the game's most powerful classes, it just requires a little planning.

If you're asking will you run into the same problems in the EE as you did in vanilla then yes, it's exactly the same. There's plenty of ways around those problems however, you can't expect a single strategy to win you every fight. I've never actually done the final series of fights on a pure magic basis, but they've never been very hard at all.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I don't see how you struggling in ONE encounter for a MASSIVE game makes a character suddenly 'not worth it'.

I mean most people consider Kensai/Mage to be a powergaming character, and perhaps it is stronger than a Sorcerer in ToB, I'm not sure, I've not tried either of them yet. However, the Kensai is gimped for all of BG 1 and a good chunk of BG 2. So by that logic, he struggles with so many battles that he must be absolutely useless.
  • Gunblade_HeroGunblade_Hero Member Posts: 5

I don't see how you struggling in ONE encounter for a MASSIVE game makes a character suddenly 'not worth it'.

I mean most people consider Kensai/Mage to be a powergaming character, and perhaps it is stronger than a Sorcerer in ToB, I'm not sure, I've not tried either of them yet. However, the Kensai is gimped for all of BG 1 and a good chunk of BG 2. So by that logic, he struggles with so many battles that he must be absolutely useless.

Worth it was probably the wrong way to word it, but when I can kill bhaalspawn in one spell combo and then suddenly not be able to anymore due to the way the fight resets every 25% or so, which I should be doing 80-100% of her HP in one timestop, I would rather roll a rogue and be able to keep up with the fight.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    By the time you've reached the level where time stop + alacrity + spellbook-dump is a viable strategy, I'm sure you have other strategies you can potentially try. From simply making the best use out of not-quite-top-tier spells to abusing other powerful magics, like Wishing for more spells or whipping out Projected Images for more castings.

Just because the boss is shrugging off your insta-kill combo doesn't mean you're helpless.
  • My first BG2EE playthrough was with a sorcerer, and I thought it was awesome. Even when Time Stop doesn't work (or rather, doesn't affect a boss), there are a ton of options. When you combine the Robe of Vecna with Improved Alacrity, the possibilities are mind-boggling.