Skip to content

Blackguard class ties up something in bg2 nicely if implemented.

ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
Ok, this is a bit of a request really, but in bg2, if you keep the silver githyanki sword all the way through the underdark, then when you get back to amn and go to waukeen's promenade (this might trigger anywhere, i haven't tested) you will get accosted by a githyanki mage who asks for the sword back. If you refuse, he attack you, and more githyanki warp in to help out.
Interestingly enough, if you search the corpses afterwards, one of the greatswords they carry (which all look like standard unenchanted greatswords) actually turns out to be a +5 greatsword. But here's the kicker - it is only usable by "antipaladins" (a kit which hasn't existed up until now) and is thus completely useless and doesn't sell for anything.

I think it would be really nice if when bg2:ee is released, this sword now becomes usable by the new blackguard kit.

Comments

• SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Interesting point, a +5 enchant is pretty big.
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    pretty high enchant, but post-underdark its not too bad id say

good point
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Did anyone try equipping that sword on a Fallen Paladin?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Did anyone try equipping that sword on a Fallen Paladin?
    Yes it doesn't work on a fallen paladin either.

By the way, in the description of the sword, it says that a common name for an antipaladin is a blackguard
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Hm, it might fall under the "do not change the original game" clause, but there's definitely potential here for Overbeamdoghaul to capitalize on an oddity of the original BG2 if they can circumvent that. It would be a convenient place to put in the Anti-Carsomyr I'm hoping makes it into BG2:EE. Make it Blackguard-only, give it a nice ability or two, spice up its icon and sprite, and boom, an addition to the game I'd love to death.

I'm glad you mentioned this, ajwz, because even though I love greatswords, I usually don't keep the Silver Sword any more. At one point I did keep it and managed to decapitate a golem in Suldanessalar. An adamantine golem suddenly exploded in gore, so I paused the game to figure out what just happened because I assumed golems would be immune to the Silver Sword's effect," and then immediately switched back to the Soul Reaver +4.

"No. No. That is just too silly," said a 14 year-old me.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    @Schneidend

If that anti-paladin sword doesn't have any ties to the plot, I'm sure they could make it usable by Blackguards.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Hmm...I just went through that encounter yesterday and never got that sword.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Tanthalas said:

@Schneidend

If that anti-paladin doesn't have any ties to the plot, I'm sure they could make it usable by Blackguards.

Considering it's just some random githyanki that tries to kill you, and you'll never run into that particular group of githyanki unless you have the Silver Sword, I'd say it has no ties to the plot.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    elminster said:

It is there, it just looks like a standard great sword (no special icon, doesnt need identifying, its name is greatsword) so you probably wouldn't have noticed unless you were looking.

• WinterstormWinterstorm Member Posts: 19
    Same, although i left everything but the health pots and Silver sword hilt on the ground because i thought they were useless >_<. I do recall seeing one of them named "Anti-Paladin", but yeah, didnt bother picking up the sword because i thought it was stock.

Time to play through again (not that im complaining)
  • AlderonAlderon Member Posts: 53

Hm, it might fall under the "do not change the original game" clause, but there's definitely potential here for Overbeamdoghaul to capitalize on an oddity of the original BG2 if they can circumvent that. It would be a convenient place to put in the Anti-Carsomyr I'm hoping makes it into BG2:EE. Make it Blackguard-only, give it a nice ability or two, spice up its icon and sprite, and boom, an addition to the game I'd love to death.

I'm glad you mentioned this, ajwz, because even though I love greatswords, I usually don't keep the Silver Sword any more. At one point I did keep it and managed to decapitate a golem in Suldanessalar. An adamantine golem suddenly exploded in gore, so I paused the game to figure out what just happened because I assumed golems would be immune to the Silver Sword's effect," and then immediately switched back to the Soul Reaver +4.

"No. No. That is just too silly," said a 14 year-old me.

Liked this post purely for 'Overbeamdoghaul.'