Skip to content

Enemies requiring weapon +4 or greater

LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
I'm trying to gauge the awesomness of Celestial Fury. Now, I know that it is one of the best weapons in SoA but I'm wondering about ToB.

Hence my question: is there any other enemy outside of demiliches and adamantine golems who needs at least a +4 weapon?

Comments

• kheroskheros Member Posts: 13
    Death Shades will need +5 or better I believe.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @kheros unless Death Shades were added in BG2:EE, the only Shadow-type enemy with D are the Devil Shades, that level drain and divide in Fiend Shadows, they are awful!

@Lathler Admantite Golems can be hut with +3, unless they've changed it n the EE, some Demons in Watchers Keep, specifically Mariliths and maybe more, Demogorgon the Prince of Demons, then, no one else, but mages cast Improved Mantle and those shitty protections, also, I used Celestial Fury through all ToB, I gave it to Haer'Dalis so he can dual-wield it with Crom Faeyr (that is so cheesy!), making him a real threat!
    Eudaemonium
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    The only Death Shade reference I could find is a bad draw from Deck of Many Things. I don't care about Improved Mantles since they are used by a different kind of enemy (wizards, liches etc.), so there is going to be heavy breaching, dispelling and spellstriking regardless :)

Huh, I could've sworn that I've seen somewhere information that AGolems need +4.
    CrevsDaakEudaemonium
  • SertoriusSertorius Member Posts: 172
    @CrevsDaak

I'm pretty sure Death Shades are the nasty little buggers that may spawn if you play around with the Deck of Many Things, the Skull Card if memory serves...
    CrevsDaakEudaemonium
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    Sertorius said:

@CrevsDaak

I'm pretty sure Death Shades are the nasty little buggers that may spawn if you play around with the Deck of Many Things, the Skull Card if memory serves...

Aaaah, yes, I've reloaded when I got one that wasn't Throne, Key or Star in the second and third time! I didn't remember, and those enemies were special!
    @Lathlaer
    @Sertorious
    I thought the Death Shades were added for Rasaad's storyline. And as I said before, I reloaded like thousand times to get the bonuses I wanted from the Deck of Many Things, I was halfways ToB when I used it (I got it in chapter 3 in SoA, but I forgot about it, it was my first run and I thought you could get better things from it in ToB :P).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    You don't need +5 weapons to hit a Death Shade. I was able to do it just now with Wilson when he was level 9 (the equivalent of a +1 weapon). Now, it would be a good idea to have the best weapons you can because its a tough opponent (low AC and high damage resistances). I'm also not seeing anything in Near Infinity that suggests a weapon immunity of any kind (the file is deck622.cre ).
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    The problem with Celestial Fury in ToB isn't the low level enchantment, it's that most enemies are getting really good Save vs Spells and won't be stunned by it regardless.
    CrevsDaak
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Celestial Fury is good enough to hold you over until you get Hindo's Doom. Honestly it's one of the reasons I go for Scimitars though, since you can get the Usuno Blade early on in Watcher's Keep, making it one of the more "katana-like" weapons in the game, and it's a +4 weapon. Honestly anything that you have trouble hitting should just be debuffed and murdered via magic instead; that'll teach them to mess with you.
    elminsterAgent_X
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    I think the only monster naturally immune to +3 or less weapons is Gaxx, Demogorgon and other Demi-liches. I think everyone else, aside from wizards and lichs who cast mantle, improved mantle, PfMW, etc are be hit with +3 or higher weapons.
    edited December 2013

Celestial Fury is good enough to hold you over until you get Hindo's Doom. Honestly it's one of the reasons I go for Scimitars though, since you can get the Usuno Blade early on in Watcher's Keep, making it one of the more "katana-like" weapons in the game, and it's a +4 weapon. Honestly anything that you have trouble hitting should just be debuffed and murdered via magic instead; that'll teach them to mess with you.

I play a dual weapon Blade. Anything that I have trouble hitting is introduced to Tenser's Transformation. Although so far nothing short of dragons required this.

And thanks for the tip - I completely forgot about that scimitar. At this point a have trained in long swords, katanas, scimitars and short swords, so there is a lot to choose from. Angurvadal comes to mind, perhaps the Answerer when it comes to long swords later in the game. Hindo's Doom +3 is surprisingly unremarkable, so I guess I would stick with Usuno and Spectral Brand for a while since we're talking about Watcher's Keep weapons.

Blackraven
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Hindo's Doom +3 is pretty meh, but Hindo's Doom +4 is the only +4 enchanted Katana in the game, so if you like katanas it's your only hope end-game wise.
    I don't like "katanas". I like Celestial Fury :P Other than that, there is no loyalty to this weapon group.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I like to think of it as Hindo's Wand of Restoration.
    elminsterjackjackCrevsDaak
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    More like Hindo's Disappointment.
    Eudaemonium
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    If you're playing a Blade, you should probably go for UAI and Scarlet Ninja-To +3, as it does +6 poison damage per round and has an extra attack. Belm is also an option, though it's not quite as good. I tend to use both on my Blades, at least for a while.