Skip to content

suggestions for a dual class fighter/cleric

hello everyone!
I was thinking to run another play trough BGEE and BG2EE, trying for the first time a dual class.
the idea was to make a fighter, then dual class to a priest of helm. So here come the first question, can I dual class into a kit?
then at which level do you suggest I should go dual? I would like to do it in the first BG (consider I am using xp cap remover and I play with a party of 3 maximum 4, so I can hit higher xp).
and another important question: to dual class into a cleric which are the minimum stats I have to roll? (like wisdom and charisma)
then I guess that about weapons I should go with 2 pips mace (for the new good mace in beregost) and all the other pips in flail (for flail of the ages in BG2 that probably is one of the best weapon in all the saga)

any suggestions and ideas?
thanks everyone! :))

Comments

• Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2013
    You cannot dual-class to a kit without use of EEKeeper right now.
    Levels: the most common ones are 9 (for max Fighter HP) and 13 (for an extra half attack) With your XP cap remover, you could dual at Fighter 7 (64000 xp, gives you extra half attack), and reach Fighter 7/Cleric 8 at 174000 xp, which wouldn't be possible without your exp cap remover.
    Weapons: Your plan sounds good. Hammers are also a great choice throughout the entire game. You should also consider dual-wielding, at least toward the latter end of BG2.

EDIT: Stats: Dualling to Cleric requires you to have 17 Wisdom, that's all. Dualling from Fighter requires you to have 15 Strength.
  • Personally, if I were dual-classing a cleric to fighter in BGEE (using a cap remover), I'd just do it at level 7. Since clerics get pretty decent hp rolls, you're only missing out on a handful of hp compared to going to Fighter 9.

I'll echo @Xei_Win_Toh's suggestion of dual-wielding in the long run. A Fighter->Cleric with FoA in the main hand and the Defender of Easthaven in the off hand makes for a very durable and damaging front liner.
  • maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    thanks guys!
    I think that dual at 7th level is the best option, pity that I can't dual into a kit. I wanted to do a cleric stronghold in BG2 because I necer did it before.
    If I decide dual wielding should I give 2 pips at character creation or I can do it later? the idea was to give 2 pips at flail, then 2 more (at 3rd and 6th level) and then the one when I dual into cleric...that make 5 pips in flails in the end... am I right?
  • Pips that you add with your cleric class while Fighter is inactive won't stack with your existing pips. However, you'll get a pip when you hit Cleric 8 and get your fighter stuff back that you can use to bring it to 5. I would probably put your initial pips in flail and two weapon (alternately, slings), use your fighter pips to boost up flail more, and use the initial cleric pips to diversify into other options.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    I recommend sticking with the Berserker kit and dual wielding all the way through BG1, and then dual him to a Cleric at level 9 (max HP and an extra rage use per day) in BG2. I find BG2 a bit more lenient towards dualling at 6+ levels, as you can regain the levels fairly fast.
    the only thing that sounds hard to me is dual wielding, because 3 pips are a lot! my idea was just a classic mace and shield even if I know that the extra attack it can be extremely useful... well, for now I just started and I just get to beregost, I still have time to decide what to do... I will go solo for a while to get exp fast.
    thank you guys! :)
  • Xei_Win_TohXei_Win_Toh Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2013
    @maxi - the 3 pips for dual wielding being a lot depends on what exactly your plans are: Let's assume you go like this:
    Fighter level 1 - 2 mace, 2 flail
    By Fighter 7, when you dual, you'll have 2 mace 4 flail
    Dual to Cleric, put a point in two-weapon style and one in Sling, perhaps (because you'd be less effective in melee as a recently dualled Cleric)
    Cleric 4, put your point in Hammer (putting point in Mace or Flail, where you already had Fighter points, will effectively waste the point once you re-activate the Fighter class)
    Cleric 8, you re-gain your Fighter levels, and put your 5th point in Flail

Thus, at Fighter 7/Cleric 8, you'll have: 2 Mace, 5 Flail, 1 Hammer, 1 Sling, 1 Two-weapon style
    From there, one more point in Two-weapon style is enough - the third point only improves offhand thaco by 2.
    If you then proceed to max Hammer, you'll reach 5 points in that by Cleric 28 (4,5 million XP, certainly reachable early in ToB). If you go Mace instead as your second weapon to max, you'll reach 5 points by Cleric 24 (3,6 million XP)

EDIT: or you can take the 2nd point in two-weapon style at the aforementioned levels (24 if you want more points in Mace, 28 if Hammer), and max the weapon first.
    I agree regarding the 3x DW: You really only need 2x. It's only worth getting 3x once you've got the other proficiencies you need. However, I don't really agree with delaying the DW for so long - it's simply so much better than 1H + shield in virtually every fight. Why bother with maces for example? Just get the basic proficiency during the Cleric levels so you can use Mace of Disruption +2 and then forget about it.

Here's what I generally do:
    Berserker:
    DW: 2
    Flails: 2 -> 4 (or 5, depending on how high I take the Berserker)
    Dual to Cleric:
    Get basic proficiency in Warhammers, Maces and Slings. Beyond that it doesn't really matter.

Play as DW whenever the Berserker (or Fighter) levels are active, play as 1H + shield only during the Cleric levels.

@maxi - the 3 pips for dual wielding being a lot depends on what exactly your plans are: Let's assume you go like this:
    Fighter level 1 - 2 mace, 2 flail
    By Fighter 7, when you dual, you'll have 2 mace 4 flail
    Dual to Cleric, put a point in two-weapon style and one in Sling, perhaps (because you'd be less effective in melee as a recently dualled Cleric)
    Cleric 4, put your point in Hammer (putting point in Mace or Flail, where you already had Fighter points, will effectively waste the point once you re-activate the Fighter class)
    Cleric 8, you re-gain your Fighter levels, and put your 5th point in Flail

Thus, at Fighter 7/Cleric 8, you'll have: 2 Mace, 5 Flail, 1 Hammer, 1 Sling, 1 Two-weapon style
    From there, one more point in Two-weapon style is enough - the third point only improves offhand thaco by 2.
    If you then proceed to max Hammer, you'll reach 5 points in that by Cleric 28 (4,5 million XP, certainly reachable early in ToB). If you go Mace instead as your second weapon to max, you'll reach 5 points by Cleric 24 (3,6 million XP)

EDIT: or you can take the 2nd point in two-weapon style at the aforementioned levels (24 if you want more points in Mace, 28 if Hammer), and max the weapon first.

I like this, a lot! :) you convinced me, dual wielding will be! also I can switch to shield whenever I need, like against beholders...
    So I think that if I go dual wielding I would like to end SoA with flail of the ages and crom fayer in the other end, the combination seems terrible for the enemies.
    another question: if I use EEKeeper to change charname in a priest of helm, am I going to obtain the special abilities of the kit?

• EEKeeper will not automatically give you kit abilities, but if you go to the "Innate" tab and click the "Kit" button, it will allow you to automatically fill out kit abilities up to your current level, and as you level up the game will automatically give you further kit abilities. I've seen some people suggest that giving yourself the appropriate kit before dual-classing will cause the game to assign abilities to you from the start, but I haven't tested that myself.
    @Kaigen
    found it! when I'll do it in the boxes that sais "from level" "to level" should I put 1 and 1?
    and for you guys what is best, priest of lathander or helm?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Lathander! Dualing into Lathander is amazing... maybe even too good...
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    edited December 2013
    Just use EE keeper. You're only able to have one kit (so unless you wanted to do more mucking with files and abilities used on unkitted fighter) then just click kit --> Priest of Helm. (The Kit restriction seems to be about interface, not gameplay balance, and not lore -- so I wouldn't feel "cheesy" doing it.)
    Oh! and got to "Innates" Click the "Kit" button and set levels from 01 to 01 and have it give you abilities. Once you switch kits it will do this automatically on level up, but this will give you your starting abilities. [You could also just switch kits right before dualing probably; but I haven't tested it.]

Note: if you dual at 7th like planned then you should only miss out on one level of Priest after switching with BG:EE caps; which is worth it for the extra attacks, thaco, and prificiencies I think.
    It's definitely also about game balance. Kits offer some truly powerful abilities that end up being flat out overpowered if they're combined.
    I am not interested in a warrior kit, but only in a priest kit. I just wonder which abilities are more useful between helm or lathander... priest of helm get true sight that I think can be very useful. Honestly I like to play with a charname that kick everyone's asses :) also because I like to play with a party of four when it's possible.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Lathander, every priest gets true sight.
    ok, almost there... now I am priest level 7, I explore almost every area soloing and before cloakwood mines I will take some png :) all your suggestion were very useful, I like the character a lot and I think he'll be very powerful! and in the end I decided for a priest of lathander, with the help of EEKeeper of course.
    a couple of question more: in BG2EE I will be able to get also fighter HLA or just the ones for priests?
    then, I know the most powerful flail in BGEE is the one in durlag's tower, but it's cursed and make the character to go berserk. what exactly it means? I mean, can I use it and still cast spells and use the character normally?
    edited December 2013
    Multi-class characters get HLAs for both classes. Dual classed characters only get HLAs for the class they've dualled into.

The flail makes you lose control of your character. We're talking serious rampage.
    edited December 2013
    Maylander said:

The flail makes you lose control of your character. We're talking serious rampage.

that means no spells? and losing control happens only in the sight of enemies or all the time?

now I have reached level 8 with the priest class, so the fighter class became active... it's the first time I dual class in BG and I have to say that yes, requires a lot of patience, but it is extremely powerful. I think next time I'll do the same with a fighter mage :)
    thank you guys!
    It simply makes you go crazy when you see enemies. If you have any party members nearby, they're most likely dead, so if you intend to use it you have to make sure that noone is nearby (except enemies). Also, for the duration of the rage, spells are not available if I recall correctly. He'll return to normal after the fight is over though, and can use spells, until the next time an enemy is sighted.
    thanks Maylander, I think I will try it, just because I am curious! and anyway I can easily remove it with a spell or in a temple.