Skip to content

Dorn - The Only Name Used Thrice

Knight12ifyKnight12ify Member Posts: 23
So me, being a BGDAII fan, noticed something about Dorn Il-Khan, his name was similar to that of Dark Alliance II (a game far more RPGish than Dark Alliance) protagonist, Dorn Redbear. Then I realized, could the name be a tribute to those who loved Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II? Maybe not. Why? It could be a tribute to Richard Lee Byers, remember Dorn Graybrook? Yes, Dorn is the ONLY Name in Forgotten Realms that I have heard repeated thrice for characters that will NEVER meet each other.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Knight12ify

I've been trying to remember where I've seen the name Dorn before.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Dorn's Deep in Icewind Dale? I don't know, however, whether this is named after a person.
  • EleosEleos Member Posts: 48
    Dorn is apparently a very popular name in TFR. Must have been some kind of pop culture icon.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    It's also used as part of a name, like Kheldorn.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Faldorn
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Michael Dorn?
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    Way back to FR11 Dwarves deep (i reference it alot, its an old favorite of mine (Dwarf-phile)) Dorn was listed as one of the most common and popular dwarf names (Dorna for females)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Michael Dorn?
    It would be kinda epic if he would voice act him...
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    It has a nice sound to it without being related to any real-world cultures...
  • Daedalus87mDaedalus87m Member Posts: 92
    lmaoboat said:

Michael Dorn?

Awww, you beat me to it :((
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    And something totally irrelevant, Dol Dorn, a deity in Eberron :P
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208

Michael Dorn?

he does or has been doing, at least, a lot of voice over work in his post star trek career. wasn't he the voice of bhaal in the dream? And God, i pray this is the case. :)
  • lmaoboatlmaoboat Member Posts: 72
    Bjjorick said:

Michael Dorn?
    he does or has been doing, at least, a lot of voice over work in his post star trek career. wasn't he the voice of bhaal in the dream? And God, i pray this is the case. :)

It would seem so:
    http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0127560/
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    hmmm, lots of games under his belt, me, star craft 2, and fallout new vegas. heh, hope they can afford him, all of ST:TNG cast seem like old friends since i grew up watching it (i'm about wesley's age, maybe a year or two younger).
  • SBRAAASBRAAA Member Posts: 29
    Dorn is alsa a primarch in wh40k, the boss of the yellow guys :)
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Being a big TNG fan, having Michael Dorn voicing Dorns character would be AWESOME...
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Communard said:

It has a nice sound to it without being related to any real-world cultures...

Well, "Dorn" is a German word. It means "thorn", like what roses have. But yeah, it's not *that* problematic.