Skip to content

Other D&D games on GoG?

Laker_RangerLaker_Ranger Member Posts: 11
Are The Temple of Elemental Evil (I'm trying to get my neighbor to start a garage band called the same), Planescape (occurs to me that this would be a great name for a prog-rock band), worth downloading off of GOG? I love BG:EE to pieces, and want to keep the magic going after I finish BG2:EE. How about the Icewind Dale games?

Comments

• KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Yup.. they definitely are - all of them (ToEE, P:T, IWD 1+2) - even IF there will be an EE of them in the future you can't do sth wrong.. and you get nice extras with them, too.. stuff like soundtracks etc.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Planescape Torment is the most awesome game EVER!
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    CrevsDaak said:

Planescape Torment is the most awesome game EVER!

please explane why ?

my dog is the best in the world because its mine and its cute.... and i stole it from my friend... :P

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Icewind Dale is less story, more kill everything that moves (and maybe even some of the things that aren't moving.) You build you're own party rather than collect NPCs although their is a mod that introduces 5 NPCs that you can play with.

The atmosphere and the combat in IWD is superb and it's nice to take a break from story heavy games such as BG and PS:T.

If you haven't already I'd also recommend Arcanum. It's on GoG as well. Dungeon Siege 1 & 2 are worth looking into (but not 3.) You can find those on Steam.

If you don't mind a lengthy, tedious, somewhat buggy dungeon crawl, you can check out Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor though to be honest, the book was much better than the game =/
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Planescape: Torment is a fairly cerebral, extremely plot-heavy game that's more light on the "game" part. If your favourite parts of Baldur's Gate include stuff like character interactions and discovering plot details, then you'll probably like it. If you don't care much for that and are more into builds and combat mechanics, it may not be for you.

Arcanum is good in theory and apparently rewarding if you can get deeply into it, but it's only fair to mention it's very, very ugly and clunky even compared to non-enhanced Baldur's Gate 1, and that can be tough to put up with. No decent automap, either. Lots of people like it, but it can be tough to get over its very noticible flaws.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520

Icewind Dale: Power Metal

This sooo much.. always have to think of IWD, when I listen to Luca Turillis album "King of the Nordic Twilight" :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think of Sonata Arctica and Kamelot!

"On the coldest winter niiiii--ggghhtt"
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Is the Tower of Doom on GoG? Because that is the best D&D game.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    Almateria said:

Never played it but it looks a lot like Golden Axe (arcade).
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Wilbur said:

Almateria said:

Never played it but it looks a lot like Golden Axe (arcade).
    He was being sarcastic. Not well, but he tried.
    Yeah, I was. Tower of Doom isn't on GOG and probably won't ever be.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Laker_Ranger
    Temple of Elemental Evil is a great D&D game. It's 95% accurate to 3.5 D&D rules with tons of combat options like coup de grace'ing helpless enemies and doing non-lethal damage. The story's kind of boring though and you may lose intrest before the game's end if you play the kind of character that just raaagh-combats his way through situations instead of taking in all the ludicrous sidequests in the latter part of the game. It's also pretty buggy, but the Circle of Eight modpack solves practicly all of that.

Planescape: Torment has international praise for being a-fucking-mazing. It's mostly deserved, from a certain point of view.
    If you like talking, talking, talking and a little wonky combat then it's a great game. It's got incredibly deep NPC's which you can influence to a great level (destroy or reaffirm their belief system, blackmail them into being your servant, unleashing their powers with no regard for the world's safety, etc). It features no fetch quests (that I can remember) unless they serve a greater philosofical goal (for example, a wizard will ask you to do some menial tasks for him, but will afterwards explain the significance to your person of those tasks). It also features Ravel Puzzlewell, my favorite character in any game.

Icewind Dale is like Baldur's Gate, only with less talking, no party interaction (unless modded) and less sidequests but more exotic locations, more combat options and battles that'll make your brain bleed in difficulty. Fire giant army led by a psychotic divinely powered up cleric at level 15? You got it!

Honourable mention goes to Arcanum which, despite being incredibly unbalanced with its game system and filled with annoying little bugs and exploits, is one of the finest, funnest, most engrossing RPG's I know and the only one to my knowledge where you can be either a elven spellmaiden who uses her beauty, charms and spells to sway the masses or a Spec-op goggles wearing, flamethrower toting, magnetic tophat sporting inventor-dwarf. Or a combination of either. No playthrough is the same.
    edited December 2013
    Drugar said:

Planescape: Torment has international praise for being a-fucking-mazing. It's mostly deserved, from a certain point of view.
    If you like talking, talking, talking and a little wonky combat then it's a great game. It's got incredibly deep NPC's which you can influence to a great level (destroy or reaffirm their belief system, blackmail them into being your servant, unleashing their powers with no regard for the world's safety, etc). It features no fetch quests (that I can remember) unless they serve a greater philosofical goal (for example, a wizard will ask you to do some menial tasks for him, but will afterwards explain the significance to your person of those tasks). It also features Ravel Puzzlewell, my favorite character in any game.

Yeah, that's amazing how PS:T manages to have 0% in FedEX type missions, I hate them, BG has lots, but they give good rewards anyway, also, PS:T has a very fast combat, I like it because you are like AAHHAHAA slaying monsters and slaying and slaying monsters that give 70K but have 300+ Hit Points, HAAAA slay em' aAAAALL!! It can be very funny, I really recommend playing as a Mage, but first level up till 9 or 7 as a Fighter.
    Then, I ate a swordie while drinking Potions of Flying, now I am flying druuuunk!!! ( @Southpaw would you be SOOOOO kind to help meeeeh get doooown???
    Also, in PS:T you don'r have to care for lacking AC like in BG1, you have to gain even MORE hit points, because ENEMIES WON'T MISS BECAUSE THEY HAVE AMAZING THAC0 and most of the enemies are complete pushers, they only have some MR and a wimpy AC, but it is a nice game, anyway my FAVORITE and one of the bests I PLAYED!!!!!
    Note: the user who wrote this don't has his mindinenopiece, his m-i-n-d i-n o-n-e p-i-e-c-e.
    He is searching for his half that was taken away when he lost his mortality.
  • Laker_RangerLaker_Ranger Member Posts: 11
    Yeah, gonna go buy 'em all... maybe tonight. You guys sold me. Some nights, I likes me some thoughtful role-playing. Some nights, I wanna cleave skulls and toss fireballs. Some nights, I wanna simulate the mechanics of old-school AD&D (and miss my red and black polyhedral dice that I lost in the 1990s). Some nights I wanna forget how fuckin' frozen tauntaun, exploding beer can, bleeding knuckles cold it is outside. Dropping some coin on GoG can only help that, right?

Seriously, thanks for the thoughtful comments and reviews. Nice people on this site!
    @Laker_Ranger you might want to try Ascension, a mod to make the ending of BG2:ToB a lot better, it makes the last battle very difficult, Planescape Torment will make you stay until 3:00 (if you have some sort of self control, if not, you'll end your session 6 days later when they found you dead) or even more, since it also has nasty creatures and the demon baddies you met are a little bit more like the P&P than those form BG.

Some nights I wanna forget how fuckin' frozen tauntaun, exploding beer can, bleeding knuckles cold it is outside.

That phrase is amazing. You might rule the world with it, it made me laugh a lot :P
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    * The Mind Flayer sits in a foldable chair. Festive hat on his bald head and a cold beer in his hands. There's a thin rope tied to the leg of the chair and on the other hand it's tied to @CrevsDaak's foot.*

Just fly my friend. I will make sure you won't stride away.
    @Southpaw thaaanksssies, hoope you don't go, flyin' with me now!
  • Laker_RangerLaker_Ranger Member Posts: 11
    They are all on sale on GoG! I just got both IWD games, PS:T, TOEE, for under 18 bucks! I win!

They are all on sale on GoG! I just got both IWD games, PS:T, TOEE, for under 18 bucks! I win!

Well done sir.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @Almateria

Sarcasm aside Tower of Doom IS available on Steam and on PSN. It may be hack and slash but my buddies and I loved this game in the arcades. It is based around AD&D which is pretty awesome when compared against its peer games. It's even probably the best example of side ways scrolling beat-em-ups.
    I know, right? I unironically think it's the best D&D video game.
    Almateria said:

I think I would have liked it when I was 10 years old.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Hopefully they are able to add more Mac games. I know I can just use a wrapper (which is what I've had to do for a few games) but it would be nice if for instance I could play Planescape Torment without requiring one (you can now for IWD2).

Edit: Looks like I was wrong IWD2 on gog isn't mac compatible without a wrapper.
    Post edited by elminster on
    @elminster I have the GOG version of PS:T in my 10.7.5 OS X, it works very good, I am using a wrapper, and, I really think if you haven't played PS:T, you should do so, it is a nice game.
    I've played it I'd just prefer not to have to do extra work to play it!
    Wilbur said:

Almateria said:

Sometimes things are really good even if they look way past their expiration date.

much unlike Baldur's Gate, haha!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Wilbur said:

Almateria said:

The validity of that statement depends on how old you are now. If you are currently 11 then it obviously carries different connotations than if you are 41.
    @elminster so there is no much you have to worry about, if you have played it there is no much to worry about.
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster so there is no much you have to worry about, if you have played it there is no much to worry about.

Unless of course I haven't beaten it :P