Skip to content

NPC starting level question

Hi,

I know that if a character has already been in your group, nothing happens to his XP while he's away. But what's the trigger here? Do you need to have him/her join you to set the initial XP, or is simply talking enough?

I'm asking this because I've spoken with both Viconia and Jan in the government district, but neither of them has been in my group, even for a second. So I wonder whether their starting XP has already been set. I'm in a place now where I cannot conveniently go and check on them before I sort out some stuff first. But I'm thinking of reorganizing my party a bit - IF their XP hasn't already been set and they won't end up with much less XP than my current group.

Any help would be very, very appreciated.

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I know that I spoke to Korgan substantially before recruiting him, and it didn't set his XP until I actually put him in the party (by which point he actually had the *highest* amount of XP of everyone. I guess drinking in the Coronet is a highly experiential experience!)

What you have to remember, though, is that the characters only 'level up' at certain XP thresholds, so depending on your own level its possible they won't actually have 'levelled up' yet.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Ok, thanks. So I suppose there's till hope of recruiting Viconia / Jan and not find them completely useless.

In fact, I think this is a problem in the game. I'd like to switch the characters around a bit; travel with one of them for a while and then exchange them for someone else. But this is only feasible for a time. After a certain point (1.5M experience, maybe?) it becomes highly unrealistic, because your new recruits are going to be newbies, compared to the rest of your group, and they won't have much use or power.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    I have to admit, I tend to use EEKeeper (ShadowKeeper in the past) to adjust certain XP values. There are two characters especially that simply never end up anywhere near the rest of the party: Cernd and Imoen. Imoen is stuck at 1,2M XP when the rest of the party is sitting at 2M+ and Cernd almost always has the same, low starting XP. I assume it's because he's a Druid, and they have freaky fast levelling until they reach a certain point, so his level is fairly high even though his XP is very low.