Skip to content

The Redundancy of Baldur's Gate 3

1235»

Comments

• AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Ilphalar said:

KotOR2 when you have a bunch of new characters dealing with the issues connected to the acts of Revan whatever he/she was remembered by the contemporary.

I liked in KOTOR2 that they gave you dialogue options to indicate the choices made by the PC in KOTOR and that these changed the NPC dialogues to reflect that (dark side/light side, etc.).
  • DinoDino Member Posts: 291
    edited November 2012
    Baldurs Gate, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale... Just brands, loosely connected to the story and where it takes place.

As long as it is a game with similiar interface/design, Im good!
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    Back in the day I really thought there was an opportunity to carry on the "Baldur's Gate Saga" not as the tale of the Bhaalspawn specifically, but as the tale about the portolios of Death and Murder, formerly Bhaal's and awarded to Cyric at the end of the Time of Troubles. Since in canon Cyric maintains these portfolios after Abdel Adrian relinquishes his claim to his father's legacy, what the writers effectively could have done is, regardless of the outcome of BG2, had Cyric essentially refuse to give up his power and have the realm of Bhaal (with the Bhaalspawn hero in it if he chose godhood) sent adrift, powerless.

Cyric and his minions cause plenty of trouble over the years, which leaves ample opportunity to stage campaigns that grow to high levels and to introduce a new group of heroes. One could have made the primary plot revolve around the heroes intentionally trying to resurrect Bhaal using the essence remaining in the Boreskyr RIver ... the objective being to use Bhaal to take out Cyric. A cult honoring the player's old Bhaalspawn hero could even figure into the power struggle.

You'd still have a core connection the the story told in the first two games, but the mechanics of the story and the cast of characters could be almost entirely different.

That ship sailed long ago though.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Or alternatively to a Baldur's Gate 3, maybe they could just keep making expansions of Baldur's Gate 2 and not actually call it Baldur's Gate 3, and circumvent the contract limitations barring 2ed rules in a BG3 that way.
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I'm still really hoping for a prequel. I think it'd be totally boss to play as a younger Gorion, and maybe CHARNAME's mother, before Bhaal went and bunked everything up. . -c .
  • knowwheretorunknowwheretorun Member Posts: 30
    edited November 2012
    Baldur's Gate 3, according to a wiki I was reading a while back, was a project started and never finished a little while after BG2. At least I believe that was what I had read, it has been some time.

But if a third edition to the franchise were to be created, I would beg dearly to see it set in Dark Sun. And only if the game were as brutal and adult as the campaign setting is. DO NOT pull any punches!

That is, if we are truly making a new game with a new protagonist.

Oi, that'd make my millennium... Well, I'd be super duper happy anyways.
  • Kristie83Kristie83 Member Posts: 259

Baldur's Gate 3, according to a wiki I was reading a while back, was a project started and never finished a little while after BG2. At least I believe that was what I had read, it has been some time.

Yeah I just looked that up a few days ago:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

It was supposed to have a 3D engine. I wonder if that means when/if they make BG3 for real that it will in fact be 3D?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    These are my predictions:

BG3 will be made. It will be set in a time period post- the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms, which means more than a century after the events of ToB. By that time perhaps a 5th edition FRCG will be released, so maybe it will be set even farther into the future. It will in all events have to figure in the effects of the Sundering. It will have tie-ins to WotC's products at the time. It's ruleset will be Edition Next. The game's name will include "Baldur's Gate III" and it will at least feature the city of Baldur's Gate. Whether it has anything to do with Bhaal or CHARNAME's descendant remains to be seen.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    That would have been beyond terrible. The aurora engine can burn in hell, its an abomination to the infinity engine.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    Lemernis said:

These are my predictions:

BG3 will be made. It will be set in a time period post- the 4th Edition Forgotten Realms, which means more than a century after the events of ToB. By that time perhaps a 5th edition FRCG will be released, so maybe it will be set even farther into the future. It will in all events have to figure in the effects of the Sundering. It will have tie-ins to WotC's products at the time. It's ruleset will be Edition Next. The game's name will include "Baldur's Gate III" and it will at least feature the city of Baldur's Gate. Whether it has anything to do with Bhaal or CHARNAME's descendant remains to be seen.

For non-human characters in the Forgotten Realms, 100 years isn't really a very long time. The Drizzt books, for example, take place over a 200 year period so far because by drow standards Drizzt is still young even though he's 200-ish years old. That would mean that non-human characters from ToB could still be alive and/or played as in BG3 and if the PC was human and chose the god option, s/he could be too.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited November 2012
    @ARKdeEREH That's true, so we could see cameos (and I think likely will) by some non-human race NPCs. Philip Daigle noted that in this thread.

From a character creation vantage--i.e., one that allows full freedom for the player--I don't see how ToB's CHARNAME could be the protagonist of BG3. You can only create an elf or a dwarf? That's just not going to happen.

Also, WotC is moving towards bringing the Forgotten Realms back to its low magic roots, something that started with the Spellplague and will culminate with the Sundering. There's very little chance imho that BG3 will have us playing a god or god-like character. I think it'll be a level one character and probably in a much lower magic world overall than we've been accustomed to.

• knowwheretorunknowwheretorun Member Posts: 30
    I would be fine with a low-magic game that had background-driven content.

To be more specific, I think +3 weapons and armor is a nice ceiling with characters using +1 equipment most of their (magic item sporting) careers. Hopefully, if the game system employs the 4E engine, it would be nice to see the implementation of inherent bonuses which was created to address the system's scaling issues (among other some of the "fixes"). This would allow for more named weapons and less +'s, which I find refreshing (we use this system in a table-top game I'm in).

I think the "background-driven content" speaks for itself. But in case it doesn't, I'd like to see specific storylines, starting points, equipment, funds, factions, etc. based on player-chosen backgrounds. Perhaps even making certain backgrounds available after earlier backgrounds are played through giving the game more re-playability.

Massive economical and geo-political encounters would also be very interesting.

As far as art direction, stick to Isometric Top-Down. In my opinion that style is more impressive, it’s easier to render in the sense that you don't have to create so many models, and it plays nice (usually) with aging hardware.

I may have just described Project Eternity here, but I think it’s a solid style. And with FR spin and lore it could be great!

Anyways, that's my two cents.