Skip to content

*Spoilers* ToB end+watchers keep

So, I come into TOB at too low a level (by now I'm a ~24 sorcerer, Serevok 28, Minsc 27, Edwin&imoen,~23, arie close to, maybe less than 20/20. Can't remember exactly right now) and I eventually make it to the end, and after attempting the final battle over and over again for two hours, I decide it finally time to do watchers keep. I get through it well enough, and after getting to the imprisoned one I go back to talk to the helmites. They tell me that they lied and all that, I get the more powerful scroll from the ghostly apperation. I read it, the doors are blocked, and with nothing else to do I go back to try the final battle again. The portal tells me my destiny is almost complete, I say let's go, and it tells me there are still challenges I must complete. What did I do wrong in watcher keep, or is this a bug?
lolien

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Have you completed all the freaking trials in the pocket plane? You have to do so to finish the game.
    lolien
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yes. Otherwise I would not have been able to try the end battle before I did watchers keep. Note that I am on vanilla, not EE.
    lolien
    @meagloth
    Oh, duh! Yeah, I don't know, I also have vanilla, but this never happened to me. Still, your level is very low (sorry, but I was with 6M XP when finishing my first run), maybe you did one of the challenges after you've saved the game, or maybe a global went wrong. I don't know if I can help much more.
    Have you started a ToB or you've played SoA with the same party?
    lolien
    Played from SoA. I checked all the challenge rooms to make sure there wasn't anything left. And yea, I was a really low level the whole game. I got to the battle in hell with irenicus at level 12. There was no way.
    lolien
    @meagloth you've impressed me, I was like 2.3M XP upon entering on Spellhold, and I got out from the Underdark with 3.6 or even more, I think it was because I farmed the whole game whenever I could or because I did all the missions. I don't know how the challenges complete variables are, I'll check now :)
    lolien
    Checked the variable, it is CHALLENGESDONE, set it a value of 1. (you should use NI, if you upload the save game I will see if I can try to do so (I can also bump you XP up, but that is chatin') :D)
    lolien
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    It sounds like a bug. Perhaps you should report this in the BG2: EE Bugs section:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/bgii:ee-bugs

Watcher's Keep progress should not affect the trials in the pocket plane in any way.
    @maylander im on vanilla, not EE.
    lolien
    I played a lot of the final battle with Ascension AND Sword Coast Strategems, it is amazingly complicated, and the PC gains nice powers.

@meagloth edit the save and search for the CHALLENGESDONE and set its value to 1 (ONE), if you don't want to do it I can do it with no problem, as I fix those bugs in my games generally and it is a nice way of being LG in PS:T via editing variables :P Also, I can try it in my own vanilla game :3
    lolien
    @crevsdaak can I even edit saves? I play with discs on a computer that runs windows '98.
    lolien
    @meagloth using Shadowkeeper, but I can do it if you'd like. And yes, you can edit saves, but I don't recommend doing so if you don't have enough experience in it (not in the game, in editing games :P), your save games should be somewhere else, try searching in C:/Program Files/Black - Isle/Baldur's Gate 2 - SoA/saves if it is not there, search for the word "saves" inside the C:/Program Files.
    lolien
    @crevsdaak, I don't have any way to connect this computer to the interwebs, methinks you would have a hard time editing my saves. Remember, Windows '98.
    lolien
    @meagloth, oh oh, no way I can help you now, methinks you should either use a ethernet cable (remember, those that you've used in the 2000, and the one that your wifi thingie has), to get an editor like Shadow Keeper or Near Infinity (I don't expect them to work, and I have very little knowledge in Windows applications) or to give me the saves.
    Don't try editing the saves manually with a text editor, you'll crash everything.
    lolien
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Is this some sort of ultra-purist thing? Windows 98, original discs? I barely remember either.

Assuming you DO have a modern computer somewhere with internet access, you should probably be able to download Shadowkeeper onto a USB stick and transfer to your retro PC.
    lolien
    Yea... USB stick not so much, too old for that. It's not a purist thing, I have the iPad edition, but 2 isn't on the App Store. This is just the way I have it right now, because it's still there. It all the computer is used for, but it is fun. Makes a bunch of beep-boop-whir noises.
    Wolklolien
    I'm so used to USBs, I can't actually remember how long the technology has existed.

Um... burn shadowkeeper onto a disc?
    lolien
    Hmmm, that might work. But I don't have shadowkeeper, and I would have to find one that would run in '98. Is it that old?
    lolien
    Shadowkeeper is a free download that was designed for the original BG games, around when they were first released if memory serves. So that's programming from about '01. I have no idea if that would run on a 98, but it's worth a shot.
    lolien
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    It should work, I used to run it on my old 98 machine IIRC.
    lolien