Skip to content

Kensai/Mage versus Berserker/Mage.

I am torn between the two. Can anyone share their experiences playing either of these dual-classes? I plan to solo on insane difficulty and dual to mage at 13, if that helps.

On a side note I'm a little underwhelmed with the 'kai' ability. Am I underestimating its usefulness (especially compared to the berserker's 'enrage') or is it not as good as people make it out to be?

Comments

• kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I haven't played the duals, but I've had some kensai playthroughs. Kai is really not all that. It's nowhere near as useful as berserking.

I think it has some cheesy uses (you can for example use Kai before backstabbing for crazy damage), but in general I'd much rather have berserking.

But Kai isn't why a kensai is good anyway. It's the passive boost to THAC0/damage.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited December 2013
    Hmm, the Kensai>Mage's passive boost is not much compared to a real Kensai, is it? I think I'll try a pure Kensai for my next run.

With the Berserker you get gloves (+1/+2) and enrage (+2/+2) which works out to +3/+4, even higher than a 9 Kensai's passive +3/+3. If you're using say the FoA, Kai will get you an extra 2.5 points of damage on average on top of that so the Kensai does 1.5 more damage/hit compare to the Berserker. It's a nice bonus, but I think I would favor the convenience of Enrage over such a small boost. But note that you can replicate the immunities with spells... I just can't be arsed to buff every time.

edit: oh I see you're dualing at 13, in which case the Kensai gets +4/+4 and +1/+2.5 over the enraged Berserker with Kai up. Could be worth it...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    The Berserker immunities to game-ending spells is invaluable (Maze/Imprisionment). Well worth giving up a couple of points of damage per hit.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    edited December 2013
    The differences once you have your mage levels will be fairly trivial, but seeing as you're doing a solo insane run the Berserker will have a much easier time before you dual.

Kai has it's uses for sure, but it isn't as useful as the Berserker Rage - not all abilities are equal. At high level try Kai with Shapechange: Iron Golem.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I invariably prefer Berserkers.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Kai in combination with improved haste and time stop is a killing machine.
    FOA deals 8-13 damage plus bonus (let's say other 16 average) means that with kai you deal 29 damage per attack, 8 APR means 232 damage per round always hitting. In 3 time stopped rounds you can deal 696 damages.

Nevertheless I still prefere berserker-mage, mostly because you can use helmets and bracers.
  • If you're soloing, I'd go with the Berserker; not just because the enrage immunities are useful and will save you spell slots on getting them through other means, but also because there are helms, gauntlets, and even shields with very useful properties that a Kensai just can't use.
  • LathraelLathrael Member Posts: 69
    edited December 2013
    It depends on how much kensai and how much mage. If you are considering multiple runs on same character and/or using xp cap remover, at certain point kensai comes better. But if you are about to stop leveling fighter at like level 7-9, berserker's abilities will prove more useful.

Still having high level on kensai (15-21), will restrict your character's combat abilities at big portion of the game. It's only recommended if you plan to run solo and/or harder difficulties after each completition of the game. But after that point, i doubt that you will find anything challanging :P

Edit: Actually, in that case fighter/mage/thief is even more powerful, (or just mage/thief) due backstab + mislead exploit. (in my opinion, it's an exploit)
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    There are good shields and helms, but what are the good gauntlets that you miss out on as a Kensai? Only thing I can think of is Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, but most of those benefits are gained (even surpassed) by the Kensai's innate abilities. Other normally great gauntlets (Gauntlets of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, etc.) aren't good for solo runs because your stats should be as perfect as possible at the start.

EDIT: Oh, I guess there are the Bracers of Blinding Strike. That's basically a triple Greater Whirlwind with a good base APR. That could be pretty deadly paired with berserker rage.
    edited December 2013
    Mitchfork said:

There are good shields and helms, but what are the good gauntlets that you miss out on as a Kensai? Only thing I can think of is Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, but most of those benefits are gained (even surpassed) by the Kensai's innate abilities. Other normally great gauntlets (Gauntlets of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, etc.) aren't good for solo runs because your stats should be as perfect as possible at the start.

EDIT: Oh, I guess there are the Bracers of Blinding Strike. That's basically a triple Greater Whirlwind with a good base APR. That could be pretty deadly paired with berserker rage.

I thought those bracers only did cast improved haste for reduced time?
    And as i remember number of attacks can't go beyond 10. About helmets, i think Kensai mage can use circlet of netheril and some good stones as helmets. +1 thaco and +%10 max hit points comes to mind.
    By triple Greater Whirlwind I meant duration, not magnitude. Greater Whirlwind sets you to 10 for one round (6 seconds), Bracers of Blinding Strike double for 20 seconds. A high-level dual-wielding Berserker would hit 8 APR with improved haste with any two weapons, 10 with a speed weapon. This probably makes the bracers better than Greater Whirlwind in most cases because the duration is longer.

Could also pair it up with other HLA's, but I would think that Assassination is the only one that's useful for this, and you're obviously not gonna get that one with these builds.
    edited December 2013
    Don't use whirlwind, improved haste is much better and will give you more time to concantrate on your spellcasting (fighter abilities counts as a casting action for round and sets spellcasting on cooldown as i remember). If you are sure all you do will be swinging at that round, crictical strike skill would be a much better choice, combined with imroved haste.
    Lathrael said:

Don't use whirlwind, improved haste is much better and will give you more time to concantrate on your spellcasting (fighter abilities counts as a casting action for round and sets spellcasting on cooldown as i remember). If you are sure all you do will be swinging at that round, crictical strike skill would be a much better choice, combined with imroved haste.

You are correct about the HLA cooldown. I forgot about Critical Strike, that's very powerful with Improved Haste.
    edited December 2013

On a side note I'm a little underwhelmed with the 'kai' ability. Am I underestimating its usefulness (especially compared to the berserker's 'enrage') or is it not as good as people make it out to be?

Actually i don't remember last time that i used kai. If i play kensai-mage it's for damage -thaco bonuses.

Edit: Fixed typo. I do that a lot :S
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    For headgears, Vhailor's helm comes to mind as one of the more overpowering helmets that fighters can use that kensais are excluded from. As a mage though, you can replicate the helm's ability once you get your level 8 spells, but the helm can still be very useful before you get there. Gauntlet that gives half APR won't matter if you intend on dual-wielding with belm/scarlet etc in offhand along with grand-mastery. Even if not dual-wielding, it's really only half an attack or one full-attack with improved haste... not a major deal breaker if you intend on doing things like improved-haste/timestop

There isn't really a major difference in power once you reach the the higher levels. You're still going to be ridiculously powerful regardless. Early to mid game, berserker's rage will indeed, be more useful than kensai's kai, considering that being disabled is pretty much a game-ender on a solo-run.

Later in the game, you'll likely be too busy casting off all your other spells that you'll rarely be using your rage (or even kai for that matter). Improved invisibility usually saves you from most major disables that your highlevel saving throws wouldn't shake off at that stage (not to mention timestop makes you invincible against everything altogether). Not to mention, there exists a certain staff that grants you invisibility right upon equipping it, rendering even enemy True-sight useless (Although, if you intend on capitalizing on that, you'd probably want to avoid dual-wielding for convenience sake). At this stage, kensei's innate +4 damage at level 13 would make you slightly stronger than a berserker-mage. But me thinks, if you got a bazooka, you don't really need to add spikes to its rockets.

Real said:

But me thinks, if you got a bazooka, you don't really need to add spikes to its rockets.

A bazooka berserker... a berzooka.

BERSERKER KIT: BERZOOKA
    Pros: Berserker Rage ability causes a detonation on every successful hit, dealing 6d6 fire damage to a 30' radius area (save vs. spell for half).
    Cons: Berserker Rage ability causes a detonation on every successful hit, dealing 6d6 fire damage to a 30' radius area (save vs. spell for half).
    edited December 2013
    Real said:

But me thinks, if you got a bazooka, you don't really need to add spikes to its rockets.

Yet there is the idea...

http://www.geek.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/RPC1-560-x-271.jpg
    Mitchfork said:

There are good shields and helms, but what are the good gauntlets that you miss out on as a Kensai? Only thing I can think of is Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, but most of those benefits are gained (even surpassed) by the Kensai's innate abilities.

Yeah, but look at the actual numbers. +2 damage might not sound like a lot but that's half of a 13 Kensais' passive bonus, or 2/3 of a 9 Kensai. A single item that gives you 2/3 of a Kensai... that is pretty damn good! (or the 9 Kensai bonus is pretty bad, take your pick)
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Kensai: Can't use ranged weapons, can't use armour, can't use gauntlets.

Berserker: Can't be imprisoned, can't be charmed, can't be stunned, can't be charm, can't be held, can't be frightened, can't be confused, can't be level drained...

Who cares about damage? Imprisonment bypasses MR, has no save, and instantly game overs you. There are scores of ways to increase your damage, there are a handful of ways to easily and conveniently face off against Illithids, Elder Orbs, Demiliches and the like, and none of those ways begin with a K.
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    Berserker is best :)

passive +4/+4 is not good as Balduran helm + Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization.

kai ability in fact is plain +4 dmg, berserker ability is priceless :)
    edited December 2013
    Pantalion said:

Kensai: Can't use ranged weapons, can't use armour, can't use gauntlets.

Berserker: Can't be imprisoned, can't be charmed, can't be stunned, can't be charm, can't be held, can't be frightened, can't be confused, can't be level drained...

Who cares about damage? Imprisonment bypasses MR, has no save, and instantly game overs you. There are scores of ways to increase your damage, there are a handful of ways to easily and conveniently face off against Illithids, Elder Orbs, Demiliches and the like, and none of those ways begin with a K.

There are more protection against magic scrolls than enemies that can cast imprisonment in game, you know.

Also obtaining mind shield is not an issue if you reached far as that in game.
    Serpion said:

Berserker is best :)

passive +4/+4 is not good as Balduran helm + Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization.

kai ability in fact is plain +4 dmg, berserker ability is priceless :)

+1 thaco and +%10 hp gem is better than helm of balduran in my opinion.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I thought there's only two protection from magic scrolls in the gagne and at least two demiliches if I remember right... That wouldn't be more than enemies in the game, only equal :) and that assumes your main character is the one you are protecting which means you will probably need freedom.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    at level 9? Berserker mage, because the berserker rage can pretty much equal the bonuses Kensai get at that level, and Berserker/Mages can wear bracers and regular helmets on top of that. At 13? Pretty sure it's Kensai, but the downtime with that kind of dual-class, good lord... it would take forever for one to acquire 14 levels as a mage after just reaching level 13 as a Fighter... unless you cheat or go solo and use memorizing scrolls when alone.

I used to like Fighter/Mage duals but now I just feel lazy and want to go Multi-class if I ever roll with it again. Downtimes make it incredibly boring.
    Elder orbs can cast Imprisonment too... and I'm sure there are others. I know Abazigal can also imprison.

But you are a mage, so why be scared of Imprisonment? SI:Abjuration! You're probably already using it to block Dispel Magic.
    nano said:

Elder orbs can cast Imprisonment too... and I'm sure there are others. I know Abazigal can also imprison.

But you are a mage, so why be scared of Imprisonment? SI:Abjuration! You're probably already using it to block Dispel Magic.

Weird, i never saw them doing that. Maybe because they didn't live long enough :P
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Berserker, hands down.

And yes, Elder Orbs can cast Imprisonment. It's easy to notice when they're about to do it - they'll move into melee range of the character in question.
    Lathrael said:

nano said:

Weird, i never saw them doing that. Maybe because they didn't live long enough :P
    It's somewhat random I think - at least in my game, some of them never cast it so you may have encountered one of those. But don't get cocky, because as soon as you let down your guard there will be one that does :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    But that imprisonment requires a successful hit I think unlike the kangaxx one.
    nano said:

Lathrael said:

nano said:

It's somewhat random I think - at least in my game, some of them never cast it so you may have encountered one of those. But don't get cocky, because as soon as you let down your guard there will be one that does :)
    Letting guard down against elder orb? Not going to happen :P Especially with beholder ray flesh to stone artillery bug :P My strategy involed with them (also against any beholder) is mostly about scouting with a wizard's eye and nuke the place from afar.
  • velehalvelehal Member Posts: 299
    edited December 2013
    The protection against Imprisoment is very easy to obtain for any mage. It is called Spell Imunity. It is maybe the strongest defensive spell in the game. No wonder that mages in SCS abuse this spell so much. In fact I´m glad that (if I´m not mistaken) in the new version of SR this spell should be removed. I´ve found it little bit boring when I´ve realized that my figher/mage memorizes only this spell from all 5th level spells.
    Post edited by velehal on