Skip to content

Looking for a new team member for a good/mixed party with Hexxat

I'm doing a "no resurrections" run of BG2:EE with a good-aligned PC (I've been posting journey logs here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26502/spoilers-forum-game-challenge-baldur-s-gate/p1 ). Up to this point, my team has been composed of:

- Priest of Lathander PC
- Jaheira
- Minsc
- Yoshimo -> Imoen
- Hexxat
- Haer'Dalis

Minsc just bit the dust. :( Considering I have Hexxat on my team, what (preferably good or possibly neutral) NPC can I use to replace him? Keldorn is out (permanently released from my service on a prior quest), and I believe Mazzy and Anomen also have a conflict (I have low cha, and I don't really want to do the circus quest for the 18 cha ring).

Is Valygar safe to use with Hexxat? If not, what other NPCs does the forum suggest?

Comments

• MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Small point: I don't believe your charisma influences whether your party members fight. I think that might have been an intended feature at some point (maybe even made it into a manual) but I think all of the NPC reactions are just on random timers.

Anomen will definitely conflict with Hexxat, but I think Mazzy and Valygar may be safe. Even though he's evil, I think Korgan won't have any conflicts with your party and he's pretty a pretty good frontliner.
  • LaceLace Member Posts: 74
    edited December 2013
    Mitchfork said:

Small point: I don't believe your charisma influences whether your party members fight. I think that might have been an intended feature at some point (maybe even made it into a manual) but I think all of the NPC reactions are just on random timers.

Anomen will definitely conflict with Hexxat, but I think Mazzy and Valygar may be safe. Even though he's evil, I think Korgan won't have any conflicts with your party and he's pretty a pretty good frontliner.

Thanks for answering! :)

Mazzy will have a conflict with Hexxat (according to http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26421/hexxat-for-good-aligned-team ). No one there answered definitively about Valygar, which is why I posted. High cha means that she will just leave peacefullly, rather than engage in a fight to the death.

Korgan is my fall-back option, but I'm really hoping to keep my team good/neutral (except Hexxat, lol). Hopefully someone will know about Valygar.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Ah, I remember there was a fairly comprehensive NPC fight list but I can't seem to find it now. :( Can't help you on Valygar.

I didn't know that about charisma affecting the leave method, although that's still not gonna help you keep the party together, obviously... kind of sad really, with a few exceptions a sufficiently charismatic/wise/intelligent protagonist should be able to convince NPCs through dialog that their quest is "for the greater good" and that they should drop their conflicts.
    edited December 2013
    @Mitchfork If there's a comprehensive NPC fight list that includes the new EE characters (Hexxat and Dorn especially) I'd be interested to see it.

Speaking of new characters, I wonder if Rasaad has a conflict with Hexxat... He might be another good option to try on my run.
    Bit disappointed by the lack of response here. Has no one tried to hammer Hexxat into a good/mixed party before?

Ah, well. I'll try Valygar out, and report back if they have a conflict. I'm really hoping they don't have a conflict...
  • koalabobkoalabob Member Posts: 22
    I can confirm that you can at least have Valygar and Hexxat in the same party unlike some of the other characters. I don't particularly want Hexxat in my current group but everytime I get anywhere near her she asks me to take her to that damn tomb and no matter what I say she attaches herself to my group and I have to boot her. I once didn't notice this and she tagged along with me to D'arnise hold before I realized the spot I was saving for Nalia was suddenly full...regardless, in that short time Valygar had no real conflicts with her.

I did read somewhere that Valygar and Hexxat don't get along but I don't believe they fight or demand someone be kicked from the group.

But - slight aside - I would vote for Raasad over Valygar regardless. I think Raasad would be a better replacement for Minsc, Valygar is more of a backstabber/scout than a front line fighter (at least how I play him)
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Valygar and Hexxat argue, but they'll only fight if you egg them on. You can get him to just let it go and keep them both in the party.
    Thanks @koalabob and @Coutelier for the responses. I'll think carefully about Rasaad, as I haven't used him in BG2 yet, but I do remember him from BG1, where he was too squishy to tank.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    @Lace Wilson the bear!

In all seriousness Korgan is the only "tank" npc I'd trust with those limitations then again this isn't a traditional tank, but if you outfit Jan right with UAI and stone skin/ mirror image, he should tank better than any real "tank"...
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    I'd go with Rasaad. He starts out mediocre, but becomes a *powerhouse* after a while, just like all Monks. The transformation, if you can call it that, happens at level 15. After that there's just no stopping a Monk.