Skip to content

I have question to some wise man about backstabbing?

Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
I would like someone to explain to me how the system works on counting damage from backstab skill. now playing
human shadowdancer13/cleric25
backstab ability x4
I use the Club +3, Blackblood
and cast a spell on myself: AID (one to all); holy power (18str); righteous magic (25 STR and max dmg)
items: helmet balduran (1 TRACO); legacy of masters (1 TRACO +2 dmg)
Final Stats: -10 TRACO on the counter 21-26 dmg
when I use backstab skill sets is always the result of 62 +3 acid damage where -> 62/4 = 15.5 basic dmg? haw it possible? there should be 104 dmg

sometimes it is 124 for critical strike but skipping

Is that normal?
I play with mods but they gives only quest. one interact with hero stat meby that problem?

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Basically, it multiplies the damage, but it does strange thing like that sometimes, this happened to me many times (I scored a 4 while backstab was at x2 and my minimum damage was 3 and max damage was 9), maybe the enemy you backstabbed had resistances, but I don't know, maybe they've toned the Backstab ability down, or maybe your multiplier is of x3, what seems more likely in a Shadowdancer, but as I don't have the BG2:EE, I can't say.
    The toning down of the backstab seems like a thing of @CamDawg, he is the one that fixes everything, including what isn't broken at all like pausing and keeping your stuff from BG1 at the start of BG2 and, well, and if you are playing with mods, maybe it is something from the mod and I don't find it exiting enough, I like normal, plain Not An Issue bugs, they are funny and easy to solve XD :P
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited December 2013
    I use this formula from the Bioware forum:

((Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplyer + strength bonus ) x critical hit + additional weapon damage

((9 +2+ 1) x 4 +14) = 62 + 3 acid.

Seems to add up.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    ^I think that is correct. Strength bonus doesn't get multiplied. Don't expect the tougher enemies to explode unless if you're assassin.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I don't think clubs backstabbing :)

You need a weapon a normal thief can use
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Normal thieves can wield clubs. :)
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129

I don't think clubs backstabbing :)

You need a weapon a normal thief can use

any thief/cleric can backstabb with quaterstaff and clab. on rest yo can use it when if play multiclass and get "any item use" but you don't get profency in does weapon.
    JLee said:

I use this formula from the Bioware forum:

((Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplyer + strength bonus ) x critical hit + additional weapon damage

((9 +2+ 1) x 4 +14) = 62 + 3 acid.

Seems to add up.

yes it could be real. in other word i must max. weapon dmg. i don't play with bard this time( i shoud but he bugd in midel of the game without chance of repeiring and i dump him". then i must go for clab+5 and quoterstaff +12 and then see an effect;)

thanks for answering
    CrevsDaak said:

Basically, it multiplies the damage, but it does strange thing like that sometimes, this happened to me many times (I scored a 4 while backstab was at x2 and my minimum damage was 3 and max damage was 9), maybe the enemy you backstabbed had resistances, but I don't know, maybe they've toned the Backstab ability down, or maybe your multiplier is of x3, what seems more likely in a Shadowdancer, but as I don't have the BG2:EE, I can't say.
    The toning down of the backstab seems like a thing of @CamDawg, he is the one that fixes everything, including what isn't broken at all like pausing and keeping your stuff from BG1 at the start of BG2 and, well, and if you are playing with mods, maybe it is something from the mod and I don't find it exiting enough, I like normal, plain Not An Issue bugs, they are funny and easy to solve XD :P

me too don't like mods for bg1 but for bg2 mods evolvs naw some of them is very nice and game withaut them is sad;) also can get interestnig new items or evan skills.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    CrevsDaak said:

Nothing was changed in the backstabbing mechanics.