Skip to content

How do you guys play your Blades (the bard kit)

booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
I was so pumped to play him... but he's so squishy. He does okay damage with the spin, but his ac is crap since I don't have armor for him yet (that allows him to cast spells) and he takes a hit like a little girl. My group right now is a bit low on frontliners, but I thought I'd be okay having played the game so many times before. My group right now is Neera, Nalia (to be replaced by Imoen) and Minsc. I plan on picking up Rasaad and Aerie or Cernd. He seems most effective with melfs minute meteors at the moment to be honest.

How do you guys play him? I stoneskin and mirror image before fights, and occasional draw upon holy might when I remember I have it. Any other ideas on how to beef him up?

And most importantly will he get noticeably better as time goes on and he gains levels?

Does doing the Bard Stronghold give you some unique bard items that will help me out?

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'd probably benefit from some summons... I usually only use them at higher levels when you get awesome summon, particularly in the hard parts of TOB, but I've never used them in early SOA.

What is a good low level summon I should use? I have 2 arcane casters besides my bard, so I'm sure they can cook up something nasty.

I just picked up Mazzy for awhile too, but even she is used most effectively from afar.
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Use the Armor spell. It lasts a ridiculously long time so that you really only need to memorize 1 copy and cast it on yourself after resting, it should help with AC. You could also try ghost armor, but it has a much shorter duration.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    Use offensive spins liberally. The blade moves quickly (as though he has boots of speed) while using OS, and so can enter and leave melee with great alacrity.

Also don't discount the usefulness of defensive spins if your blade has been wounded.

Be proficient with scimitars or short swords, and equip your blade's "off hand" with either Belm or Kundane.

Get the best bracers you can (AC 3) as soon as you can afford them.

If your blade has a high strength, daggers are good missile weapons to use, especially since (a) they also can be used as melee weapons, and (b) you can add your strength bonus to the damage. The boomerang dagger is especially excellent (until you get to the Drow city).
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Having just played one in BGEE, I understand your pain but here are some things I'd like to say regarding the experience and what I've learned.

A. The armor spell is your friend until you get some lovely elven chain mail or bracers of defense.

B. The entire reason I will be playing a new blade through the saga (mind you this is a BG1 perspective), is that I'm made I didn't choose an early missile weapon. Sure I picked Dagger intending to use throwing daggers, but I would argue that 1 point in Bow, Crossbow or Dart (FYI they are affected by OS), 1 point in your melee weapon of choice and 1 point in single weapon style SHOULD* (TM) hold you over until you gain 2 pips in 2WF.

C. Don't discount spells like blind, spook, glitterdust, web (if you have free action available or if you go with the ranged weapon proficiency), hold person and slow, but also remember mirror image and/or blur. One of the intricacies in playing blade (in my opinion), was trying to find a healthy mix of buff, debuff and magic spells to compliment my physical abilities.
    wait... offensive spin works with missile weapons??????????????
    haha, you don't have to. I can do it myself right now. That's sweet of you to offer though :)
    it works! so cool. This changes everything.
    Thanks @Dragonspear :)
    Semi-related:

If you're looking for best possible weapon coverage (i.e. maximum amount of proficiencies among characters so few to none are overlapping):

For Good Parties:
    Go Crossbows as Keldorn is the only good BG2EE character with any points in Crossbow

For Evil:
    Go Bows, since Dorn has points in Crossbows
    edited December 2013
    I like the way shortbows look though :/

Here's a question: If I was to dual wield Kundane and Belm, would i be getting five attacks per round after offensive spin?

BTW I'm using the Rogue Rebalancing mod so I got a free *** in two-weapon fighting (I know, its op and i still suck!) My bard is basically proficient in a million weapons.
    I'm considering getting RRB myself for my next playthrough. That said I am NOT sure if OS works with RRB, as I heavily doubt that it would work in PnP.

I understand your pain, due to the 3ed handbook, I always envision a bard to use a longsword and light crossbow, but my blade is evil so =/ I'm competing with his dorniness.

You get a bard armor in the stronghold, yes. A good arcane summon is Invisible Stalker. Animate Dead is always nice, but probably better taken care of by a cleric.

I remember how Animate Dead would destroy everything in IWDII. I'm still picking between Aerie, Anomen or Cernd.

I'm considering getting RRB myself for my next playthrough. That said I am NOT sure if OS works with RRB, as I heavily doubt that it would work in PnP.

I understand your pain, due to the 3ed handbook, I always envision a bard to use a longsword and light crossbow, but my blade is evil so =/ I'm competing with his dorniness.

My first PnP character was a halfling bard, in the Pathfinder system. He used a Trident and a shortbow, lol. My first kill was some kind of merman who had a trident and I thought tridents were the most awesome thing in the world. He was such a boss as the face of the party, along with my best friend at school who was a paladin. He was really good at playing Lawful Good without being absurd, so our characters played well off of each other. There were 8 of us though, so you can imagine how long our battles took.

He was an actor, so I eventually wanted to give him a net to go with the trident (as the Gladiators were often depicted in theater) but we never got far enough for me to get the right proficiencies in exotic weapons.
    Where did you get the RRB mod btw? I remember seeing it a few days ago on the forums and I forget which topic it was.

Also Aerie and Haer'dalis compliment each other rather well in terms of banter back and forth
    Yeah, I know about Aerie and Haer-Dalis... I found out the hard way!

There is a good thread that has all the mods that are currently compatible in the right install order
    You can find it here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1
  • FablewyndFablewynd Member Posts: 79
    There's a RRB mod available for BG1EE isn't there? Is it worth installing it for that, or just for BG2EE? If I'm reading it correctly it automatically puts points in to Two Weapon Style for you, correct? If that's the case, and I've already created my character with points in that, then the points are wasted with the mod installed, aren't they? I could've put them elsewhere.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    How do I play my blades? Well... I'll tell you. I don't!

Really, have never been able to bring myself to play a bard in this game. I play them in other games, like IWD2, because I can make some cool multiclass combos. But in BG, they just don't quite do it for me.

Sure I picked Dagger intending to use throwing daggers, but I would argue that 1 point in Bow, Crossbow or Dart (FYI they are affected by OS), 1 point in your melee weapon of choice and 1 point in single weapon style SHOULD* (TM) hold you over until you gain 2 pips in 2WF.

Throwing daggers are a *great* choice for Blades.

Throwing daggers get 2 apr, the strength bonus for damage, and a proficiency in a weapon you can use for both melee and ranged combat.

You also can use throwing daggers with a buckler, if you need the additional protection, which obviously you can't do with bows or crossbows.

And you can throw them while using OS.

The only downside with throwing daggers is that in BG1 there are no magical throwing daggers. But in BG2 there are two *excellent* magical throwing daggers. Boomerang dagger does 2d4+2 and is easy to get very early in the game.

Plus dagger of venom is a great weapon, and is now available in BG2EE (if you do Neera's quest).
    @Thrasymachus

I can't remember the thread atm, but currently throwing weapons are not getting the str bonus to damage that they should be.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    @booinyoureyes - I'll never forget how grateful I was when he took her off my hands. That's when I knew I wanted to be a bard when I grew up.
    @Dragonspear

Argh! I just checked and you're right. (Strange that I hadn't noticed before.)

I do receive a mysterious +1 "ability bonus" (to both hit and damage). I have no idea what that is. It's not Dexterity or Strength.

Not getting the strength bonus does improve the attractiveness of darts (3 APR and almost as much damage).
    The problem seems limited to daggers.

Throwing axes show the strength bonus to damage.
    And the other issue I have with throwing daggers in BG1EE, is as you said. There is NO returning (or magical period) variant of them. That is a lot of weight to be carrying around when I'm at 220 lbs =/ Still maybe I'll do it again. Trying to decide if I really want Dorn AND Korgan around again for all of BG1 when I know that Baeloth is an option =/
    jackjack said:

@booinyoureyes - I'll never forget how grateful I was when he took her off my hands. That's when I knew I wanted to be a bard when I grew up.

lol the poor girl
    okay my Blade just came of age. I finished the Umar Hills freed the slaves from the slums and leveled up twice. He is now a beast. I think I found it tough because the first quest I did out of Irenicus's playhouse was Neera... which was like four mages at a time with contingencies. I had to go recruit Keldorn just to get in a word in those fights. Those are tough and probably require a higher level
    NOW I'm going back and saving the circus... my playthrough has been so backwards compared to usual.
    @Kaigan

Ya I'm thinking of going Crossbow or Longbow this go, especially since I'm a firm believer in web based strategies (once you go invoker.......)
  • @Dragonspear

Longbow was an easy choice for me because they're quite good in BGEE (with the option of picking up multiple good ones if there's overlap in the group) and I knew I'd be much less inclined to have my Blade attack at range in BG2EE. Keep in mind, though, that Bards can't use composite longbows, so you'll need to hold out for a Longbow of Marksmanship.

Crossbow is probably the better option if you intend to keep using ranged weapons into BG2EE. Sure, there's overlap with Dorn, but there are two decent options for crossbows to use in BG2EE. In my current run I have Jan using Firetooth and Dorn using The Army Scythe. I rarely have cause to switch Dorn to ranged, but when I do, The Army Scythe with Bolts of Lightning seems to do just fine, and TAS has better synergy with Poison Weapon anyway.

And hey, with that d8 damage die and damage bonuses, crossbows benefit pretty well from Offensive Spin (especially Firetooth with ammo stacking...).
    Ya that's the issue is stacking.

As it is I also have an archer playthrough atm, and I know I'm screwing myself right now because I have so many points in longbows........and I'll wish they were shortbow by the time I get her to BG2EE.

Are there even any good bows in BG2 or ToB at this point? I can think of the +3 elven longbow in De'narise keep and the one at the bottom of Watcher's Keep and that's it =/