Skip to content

*SPOILERS* (ToB) NPC Does Not Realize Quest Has Already Been Completed

Chapter 8: The quest "Betrayal at the Gates" can be completed a number of ways. One of the options is to kill the mage Errard; if you don't kill him, then you can ask him to help you find Ardic. Alternatively, the quest can be completed without ever speaking to Errard. I completed the quest without speaking to Errard (I searched Jhaeri's home until I found something that lead me to Ardic's location). Later, I happened to pass by Errard and spoke to him. His dialog options are the same as if the quest were still in progress, including the option to kill him (for no reason, now), and the option to ask him to help me locate Ardic.

Ideally, once the quest is completed, Errard's quest-related dialog options should no longer be options. They serve no purpose at that point.

Attached is a saved game from after the quest is completed but before speaking to Errard. To observe the bug, load the save and open the quest log to confirm that "Betrayal at the Gates" is completed, then go over to Errard on the wall north of the characters' current location and converse with him.

If a save from before the quest is completed is needed then let me know. I'll have to play through at bit to get there, but I believe I can provide it.