Skip to content

More info when selecting weapon proficiencies

mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
I'm playing MP with a friend (his first time), we were about level 5 and I had a nosy at his stats to see what he was doing. I gave little direction, only advising him to not select the proficiencies I had so there wasn't too much overlap. I almost fell off my chair laughing when I saw his vanilla ranger

Short swords *
Long bows **
Two Handed Weapon Style **
Two Weapon Style **

he didn't realise that short swords would suck (not talking about magical selection, just basic damage) and when I asked why he picked two-handed weapon style when he didn't have any two handed weapons he gestured with his hands the act drawing and releasing a bow and said "two hands". he didn't realise that the bonuses only applied to melee weapons.

so my request is, at the the bottom of each weapon style have the standard non-magical damage. E.g

Short Swords

(Current description)

Standard non-magical short swords deal 1-6 piercing damage

And an extra note under the weapon styles that the bonuses only apply to melee weapons. Not to ranged weapons, including ranged variants of melee weapons (daggers/axes/hammers)

I think this would help newcomers to the game
BrudeCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The description for Two-Handed Weapon Style and Single Weapon Style both say "when using a ... melee weapon" at the very top of the description. I don't know that we can make it much clearer than that.

The damage is an interesting idea, though.
    KurumiCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    Still, in BG1 you can find a 1)1d6+2 dagger 2)2d4+2 Staff 4)0d0 Arrows (of Detonation :D)
    And in BG2 1)2d4(+5) Hammer 2)1d12 two-handed sword 3)1d2 bolts 4)BLAH BLAH BLAH much more, nothing worth noting here.

Also, when I was a n00b, I selected Two-handed Weapon style thinking it also gave bonuses to Bows, I thought I was smart, S. M. R. T! SMART!! And also Single Weapon Style thinking it ALSO gave bonuses to Two-Handed swords, and thought I was SMARTER, S. M. R. T. R!!!

And, n00bs should read much more carefully, including ME.
    JuliusBorisov