Skip to content

Neera or Baeloth?

So, I'm failry new to BGEE and I've been playing a Archer on and off for the past month or so because that is what I usually play through BG2 with. Since I decided to play through BG2EE with a Swashbuckler I decided to replay BGEE with one as well and I need to decide on a party. My usual party consists of PC-Archer, Minsc, Dynaheir, Imoen, Viconia and Coran.
Since my PC will be a thief (and I have coran to help me out) I no longer need Imoen (screw you sis, daddy Bhaal likes me the most!) and I've never really liked her in the first place. So who do I replace her with? Neera for some romance and a sidequest? Or Baeloth for som amusing destruction of my enemies? Not sure if I'm gonna use Neera in my BG2EE playthrough so storyline continuity doesn't matter. I'm look for likeability and a high level of fun for this playthrough.

Comments

• MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Well, Baeloth is the most powerful by far. And when I say "by far", I really mean it. He'd flatten Edwin in a duel. Neera has significantly more banter though + a quest of her own. Also, you don't have to worry about alignement if you bring her, but then again, you already have Viconia.

I'm not too much into Wild Mages though, so personally I'd pick Baeloth. I just hate it when some Wild Surge causes me to reload because it blew up half my party. A lot of people like the random effects though.
    nano
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    id go neera just for the content and because I like wild mages. some people do dislike her personality though(not me)

baeloth is awesome but he is absurdly good which kind of puts me of using him if you not fussed about that though, then hes definitely a sound choice
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Neera <3, she is a female half-elf, who is fiery and wild, she has troubles with fire-related spells, she is hot.
    I see no reason to take Baeloth, he is a junk anyway, he is a Drow bazterd and I dislike him despite he is OP, and I don't get reasons to take him, also, you only get him in mid-game.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, Baeloth is a sorcerer so he's already super powerful, and then he has a hacked spellbook, and then he has his own version of Edwin's super amulet, but as a ring. Jeez @_@
    CrevsDaakjackjackCorvino
  • queenofamsterdamqueenofamsterdam Member Posts: 16
    Neera is a Khalid compared to Baeloth because her in-game voice is annoying and sorcerers > wild mages.

Khalid: (n.) A derogatory term for a stupid [or weaker] NPC. Example: Damn! All these goblin warriors are Khalids. Compared to Baeloth, Neera is a Khalid. Dorn's 19 STR makes Minsc's look like a Khalid's. Montraron should've got the assassin kit in BG:EE but he didn't, so he is still a Khalid.
    Eudaemonium
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    You need to be level 5 to get Baeloth anyway. Before that, you can take Neera, do her quest, get fed up by her brattiness (I find her as annoying as Imoen) and then take Baeloth once you have the level.
    jackjackEudaemoniumCorvinoEdvin
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Or simply take both ?
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Take both, dump Dynaheir!
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    Sed said:

Take both, dump Dynaheir!

Nah, I want her to die in the prologue to BG2EE so that I will have a properly pissed off and vengeful Minsc to unleash on Jon Irenicus. :D

It looks like I'll get rid of Neera after my first visit to Baldur's Gate (the city that is) since she hasn't really been all that fun and her romance is really cheesy. Besides, I want to see the look on people's faces when I return to Candlekeep with TWO drows in my posse. B)
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Well, you might as well make sure you get her unique encounter in Baldur's Gate first. It'll even give you an IC reason to dump her, if you're good-aligned!
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    I just had Baeloth join me for the first time. Very cool character! I also like having 2 drow in my party.

Both Neera and Baeloth are worth bringing. I used Neera in a previous playthrough and Baeloth in this one. Of course, Neera doesn't have a Ring of Cheating, so she's not as powerfull when it comes to the number of spell slots.

By the way, I don't think sorcerers are more powerful than wild mages, but that's another story entirely.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Baeloth has a better voiceset and won't accidentally drop cows on your party if you use him to buff them. I would choose him 9 times out of 10.

Neera does have a quest of her own though, is available early and does have a number of dialogues. You can pick her up, do her quest and drop her if you choose though.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Gotta go with Baeloth myself. Especially if you are playing a thief/bard.
    jackjack
  • DragonPriestDragonPriest Member Posts: 15
    Just choose Baeloth for ultra destruction.
    zole052
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Edwin.