Skip to content

*SPOILER* Watcher's Keep Level 2 - Intended Fight Mechanic Does Not Occur

When fighting the Chromatic Demon, it is intended that as the fight progresses he will shift through various elemental forms. This forces the player to adjust tactics (ie attacking with the appropriate damage types), and makes the fight more interesting than it would be otherwise.

Currently, this does not seem to happen. Attached is a saved game (multiplayer), with the party prepared to release the demon. To observe the bug, click the cage and then fight the demon - making sure to use the appropriate damage types. The times that I have done this, the fight lasts a minute or two but no form shift takes place.

I'm not sure of exactly how this mechanic is implemented. If the shift is timed, perhaps I am killing it before a shift is triggered. (This seems unlikely though, because that would mean the fight was intended to take somewhere in the 4-8+ minute range, which would be a really long fight.) Ideally, the demon should shift form each time it has lost 1/4 of its health. The starting form + three triggered shifts would see that the demon took each possible form, to force the player to make all of the tactical adjustments that should be necessary to defeat this foe.

Comments

• EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    edited December 2013
    Okay, so I loaded this up and released him and then didn't attack him at all. He clearly shifts form periodically - so it isn't based on damage thresholds but rather on a timer. Also, the shifts clearly work (without player interference). (Obviously I should have tested this situation more thoroughly before reporting it.)

As soon as I cast an AoE spell that does damage each round of a type to which the demon's current form is vulnerable, however, the form shifting ceases. So, it would seem that the shift can be interrupted. If possible, that should be corrected, because as it stands any recurring damage will lock him in one form (for the duration of the damage, but generally speaking it can be reapplied to make the lock permanent) and make the battle more trivial than intended. Also, since this is the cause, it isn't a case of killing him too quickly for a shift to take place, and so even a party with low damage output could encounter/exploit this situation.

-------------

While testing this I encountered another potential problem. The clues that you find indicate that his Air form is vulnerable to both acid and poison. Acid does work against that form, but it appears that poison does not. I cast Cloudkill over him and he was immune to the poison damage that it deals. Unless I'm missing something, he should be taking that poison damage.