Skip to content

Khalid is now a derogatory term. (JOKE) Love him or hate him?

queenofamsterdamqueenofamsterdam Member Posts: 16
This is meant to be entirely satirical in nature and only semi-serious at best if said in a derogatory way. I've never used Khalid for a full play through but he can be decent with proper gear and builds.
Khalid: (n.) A derogatory term for a stupid [or weaker] NPC. Example: Damn! All these goblin warriors are Khalids. Dorn's 19 STR makes Minsc's look like a Khalid's. Montraron should've got the assassin kit in BG:EE but he didn't, so he is still a Khalid.
Post edited by queenofamsterdam on

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited December 2013
    Garrick is my epithet of choice for these situations. Though my vote for "suckiest NPC" still goes to Skie. It's just more fun to make fun of Garrick.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Khalid is a pretty powerful fighter.
    Just need to use protection from fear spells on him :D
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    No, your wrong. Khalid is a great NPC. I think what you all meant was @queenofamsterdam (n.) A derogatory term for a stupid [or weaker] NPC. Example: Damn! All these goblin warriors are @queenofamsterdam's. Dorn's 19 STR makes Minsc's look like a @queenofamsterdam. Montraron should've got the assassin kit in BG:EE but he didn't, so he is still a @queenofamsterdam's.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited December 2013
    Whenever a guy is p-whipped by his wife or girlfriend, he is pulling a Khalid.

"Hey man, you see the Knicks last night"
    "No dude, we had to watch Pretty Little Liars"
    "Dude... you're such a Khalid"

Edit: Actually.... there may not be much shame in being whipped by Jaheira. She is quite capable.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Khalid is awesome.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i liked khalid but i admit i did get tired of trying to keep him alive for jaheria, HOWEVER at the same time i got tired of khalid wading into combat so CHARNAME could escape and heal....khalid is pretty tiring
    Aranthys said:

Khalid is a pretty powerful fighter.
    Just need to use protection from fear spells on him :D

I think he needs Protection from Jaheira
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Khalid is good. Sure he's slightly prone to losing morale, and he isn't as powergamey as some evil options, but he is still arguably the strongest member of the canon party in BG 1.

Also because he is Good, you don't have to play evil to use him, with all the reputation management, increased merchant prices etc that you'll have to deal with.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    To be honest, I've never really used him since I first got BG waaay back. I never take him in my party because I don't like Jaheira.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    so after looking around at some of my final saves, Khalid on average gets about 20% credit on kills. that is more than his 1/6 part in a party, which I call effective. of course my bhaalspawn will tend to get higher by being in from the beginning, from already being uber powerful with starting 18s, and, with my fighter/thief, tending to be away while charname is doing work on his own, but that is a lot of credit.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

so after looking around at some of my final saves, Khalid on average gets about 20% credit on kills. that is more than his 1/6 part in a party, which I call effective. of course my bhaalspawn will tend to get higher by being in from the beginning, from already being uber powerful with starting 18s, and, with my fighter/thief, tending to be away while charname is doing work on his own, but that is a lot of credit.

He's a warrior class. Of course he should get more than 1/6 of the kills. It makes up for the low kills of thieves and mages. I would consider 20% on the low side for a fighter, especially one you can get so early on.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Awong124 said:

He's a warrior class. Of course he should get more than 1/6 of the kills. It makes up for the low kills of thieves and mages. I would consider 20% on the low side for a fighter, especially one you can get so early on.
    but you must consider that my bhaalspawn is getting 35% of the kills! so that is 55% between the two. he is getting more than even minsc! and he is more durable than minsc!

but you must consider that my bhaalspawn is getting 35% of the kills! so that is 55% between the two. he is getting more than even minsc! and he is more durable than minsc!

Well, you gave him a strength item. If you give Minsc the Brawling Hands he'd be just as durable.
    edited December 2013

Well, you gave him a strength item. If you give Minsc the Brawling Hands he'd be just as durable.
    he does have them :)

point is, he somehow just beat minsc in kills, with only the road to nashkel seperating their arrival into the party

edit: basically, I think Khalid is really good as long as you don't use charisma as a dump stat. so long as you roleplay the stats and therefore do not give a 3 (unless they really deserve a 3) then i have never experienced him get a morale failure while frontlining for me. even so he makes a good archer if you are really scared about him frontlining so he can suit everyone.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think Khalid is better than Minsc. He has points in long swords (none of this 2h sword nonsense) and he's a pure fighter (none of this ranger nonsense). With the lovely strength items you can get, his sucky base strength can be fixed easily. But in Minsc's favor, Boo and Dynaheir are way better than Jaheira.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I'm actually running Khalid, Jaheira, Dorn, and Neera as my NPCs for my Cleric's party. Khalid's got 22% of the overall kills (haven't raided Iron Throne yet). Dorn has 21% and my Cleric of Eep has 20%. Neera 15%, Imoen 11%, Jaheira 9%. Claire, Imoen and Khalid are the only ones with Named NPC kills in the strongest slain position, with Claire holding Davaeorn, Khalid holding Genthore (whoever that is), Dorn a Vampiric Wolf, Neera a Greater Basilisk, Jaheira a Sword Spider and Imoen has Ramazith (again, who is that?)

It all comes down to knowing how to use what you've got. I had one game where Garrick, of all people, had a high percentage of kills comparative to where he would normally be.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Pokota Ramazith is a mage in BG, Genthore is one of the guards in the Cloakwood mines.
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    Honestly, just the fact that Khalid can get 3 stars in longbows makes him one of BG1's best NPCs. Archery is king in the first game, and after getting that third pip, Khalid is better than everyone but Coran. He can outshoot Kivan, dual-F/T Shar-Teel (who can also get 3 pips via the dual class), and anyone else in terms of ranged THAC0. Sure Dorn can do more damage with arrows thanks to Poison Weapon, but Khalid is the second best sniper in the game! Not to mention, with the Big Fisted Belt and the Gauntlets of Dexterity he's the best good aligned tank, second in the game only to Kagain. Constitution is the most important of the physical stats in BG1 (as there's no item that sets it to something good), and Khalid has a 17, higher than any other NPC but Kagain, and tied with Jaheira and Yeslick (who are Multis and therefore get less HP).
  • RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
    oh oh i got one. "Don't be a Khalid and get your panties in a bunch." :P