Skip to content

Suggest to me a party layout

Preface:

I've played through Bg1 and Bg2 and ToB around 5 or 6 times when they werent enhanced. Typically I'd play a PC mage, cleric, fighter or sub-type. Frequently play a human and optimize builds for dual classing, etc. Trend was playing evil aligned parties, but I played through twice as good I think. Fav NPCs I can list off the top of my head are Edwin, Viconia, Minsc, Sarevok, Keldorn, Xzar, Tiax - not necessarily for combat, but sometimes for their personality.

I want to play through 1+2 enhanced with largely the same 4 people, with the last slot cycling as needed.
I will play BG1 primarily as thief, and probably dual to some kind of mage in BG2. Reason being I never played as thief, and I want to swap a mage for a thief from 1->2. I also know Edwin/Neera are incompatible, so I'll have to suck it up and not use him at all.

I am looking at:
BG1: Dorn, Neera, Viconia, Baeloth, PC Thief + ?
BG2: Dorn, Neera, Viconia, Hexaat, PC Thief/Mage + ?
ToB: Dorn, Neera, Viconia, Hexaat, PC Thief/Mage, Sarevok

In terms of playstyle, I tend to shy away from cheese tactics like monster summon and trap spamming, but ironically will use SKeeper sometimes to change an NPC class to keep it interesting, but those choices are done very early and are stuck with, as if you found them that way type thing - I don't change them on the fly or late game at all.

But I am wondering if playing evil again is going to get boring. Can rasaad get along with the new and/or old NPCs? I assume his lawful good alignment won't let him. Similarly, how flexible is Dorn with the new/old NPCs? Is he like a Korgan in terms of never getting along with the goody-two-shoes?

Comments

• ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    Thematically I would take Edwin over Neera. The thing is that Neera isn't really evil, and she also isn't really neutral. She is good. They tagged her with the Chaotic-Neutral alignment just because she is a wild mage, but she fits much better with good parties.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    No, Dorn doesn't really get along with good NPCs. I'm not sure exactly which ones will leave because of it though. Dorn and Korgan get along very well, on the other hand :)

Be warned that the quest to pick up Dorn in BG2 in fact also makes some quests impossible to finish at all or complete in a certain way. You'll understand why when you meet Dorn in BG2. I have to say this disappointed me a bit, but I'll live with it.

This is the party I'm using:

Me (wild mage), Neera, Dorn, Korgan, Viconia, Hexxat

So far, everything is going well. Just took down Firkraag, in fact. I love how I just stick Dorn and Hexxat up front when fighting vampires and I don't have to worry about level drain. Hexxat also kind of got eaten by Firkraag, but she just respawns 8 hours later, no resurrection needed. The evil NPCs are great.
  • uberdubersoldatuberdubersoldat Member Posts: 5
    Well I'm assuming Neera will stay with the party as long as you're reasonable. I'm not going to treat her like a princess or anything, probably the opposite, but being chaotic neutral I assume she's not going to leave over low rep. I want her in the party for both the randomness and the new story. If I finish her story early on, maybe I let her die in BG2, but I can't say that yet.

Also a side question - in BG2 - what determines your class quest if you're dual? As a Theif/Mage can I do both the thieves guild and the planar sphere?
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    You can only accept one stronghold (outside of some bugs which may have been fixed). I believe that you get offered strongholds only for the classes that you are leveling in, similar to HLAs... so if you dual-classed to Mage you'd need to take the Thieves' Guild before dual-classing if you wanted it.
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    Mitchfork said:

You can only accept one stronghold (outside of some bugs which may have been fixed). I believe that you get offered strongholds only for the classes that you are leveling in, similar to HLAs... so if you dual-classed to Mage you'd need to take the Thieves' Guild before dual-classing if you wanted it.

I don't think that's the case. In my Kensai/Mage game I accepted the Keep without thinking and later was not offered the Planar Sphere. The game called me a fighter as well, even though I was levelling Mage.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    jukaga said:

Mitchfork said:

I don't think that's the case. In my Kensai/Mage game I accepted the Keep without thinking and later was not offered the Planar Sphere. The game called me a fighter as well, even though I was levelling Mage.
    Yeah, I might be wrong- there's not much info on this scenario on the internet. Had you regained your Fighter levels by the time you took De'Arnise Keep?
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    Yes, I had reached Mage 10 and My Kensai 9 was in effect again.