Skip to content

No you can't! .. There are others, I can show you. Please, PLEASE! -powerfist-

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
I just found an error.

If the knight Sarevok murders in the cinematic is the first Bhaalspawn killed, how did that knight know to come looking for him?

I mean, he was all pimped and ready to fight, except for a sword. How did he know to come and kill Sarevok anyway? The other reason is he might of been somebody important and Sarevok was looking for him, maybe that knight wasn't a nobody Bhaalspawn.

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    I agree with Shin, I'm pretty sure Sarevok hunted that guy down, not the other way around.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Seems to me like the guy ran up the stairs to the top of the tower to avoid Sarevok, only to be followed and then murdered.
  • FavreFavre Member Posts: 33
    Yeah but the scene happen on top of the Iron throne tower. That mean the knight was probably chasing Sarevok.

To me it looks like a fools tried to get an easy kill and found out the said prey was a Deathbrigner.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited August 2012
    Yea for whatever reason I had forgotten that that particular tower is the Iron Throne tower. My bad.

It's probably best we don't think of such things. I mean even if the knight was part of some party (or solo) and intended to kill Sarevok it still doesn't explain why in fear he would run up and not down the stairs and out of the tower. Especially given that he had no sword. Also given Sarevok's researching of CHARNAME's background in Candlekeep it is reasonable to presume that Sarevok was able to figure out the names of other likely Bhaalspawns and arrange for their deaths.
  • FavreFavre Member Posts: 33
    We can speculate alot about the back story of the mysterious knight but the sad reality is probably that the developpers wanted some kind of introduction to the bhaalspawn saga.

1. You see the antagonist.
    2. You have a slight taste of the bhaalspawn plot.
    3. You see the iron throne.

That's a short introduction of the big picture.
    Sometime the fans create more than the original developpers themselves
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    It is quite possible that the poor fellow was actually the person who introduced Sarevok to the concept of Bhaalspawn hunting. He might have wanted to ally with Sarevok, similarly as the Five did in ToB, except Sarevok went - 'hmm, interesting idea, but what exactly do I need YOU for?'

As for why the guy run to the roof rather than to the streets and the nearest stable? Well, my guess would be it was because there was this huge scary man in huge scary armor standing between him and the staircase. :P
  • GeldridgeGeldridge Member Posts: 21
    Just had a thought - will we see this action in the new game? The Devs have said they'll be replacing the old 3D clips with hand-drawn 2D movie files..what will they do to replace this cinematic? I always liked it as an intro to the game...
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Geldridge said:

Just had a thought - will we see this action in the new game? The Devs have said they'll be replacing the old 3D clips with hand-drawn 2D movie files..what will they do to replace this cinematic? I always liked it as an intro to the game...

Probably just remaster the same intro as a 2D version.

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I hope not. That intro was so amazing, converting it into 2D (however that may be interpreted) seems like a waste.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It looks like that scene depicts the first murder in Sarevok's plan to hunt down and kill as many Bhaalspawn as possible. Perhaps he lured the victim to the Iron Throne, as Sarevok is clearly a skillful plotter.

It raises the question of how many Bhaalspawn knew of their lineage. It stands to reason that there would have been someone enjoined by Bhaal to watch over all of the Bhaalspawn in order to complete his master plan to resurrect himself. Remember that Bhaal sought to orchestrate all this before his death during the Time of Troubles. That's the sort of material that would be developed in a BG3 prequel, btw.
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    Drugar said:

I hope not. That intro was so amazing, converting it into 2D (however that may be interpreted) seems like a waste.

Agreed. Those cinematics were a part of the classic we all love and while I appreciate a new look for the story I'd really like to see them integrate the original cinematics as well.

How can I sit down to start an epic BG run (it's been about 10 years since the last) without first seeing and hearing "No you can't! .. There are others, I can show you. Please, PLEASE!"
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well, here's a thought, the iron throne was a place of business, but also hired mercs. The guy dressed up in the beginning always looked like a paladin to me, but could have been a warrior. He could have come to the iron throne looking for work/been working there when saravok sensed the 'taint' in him. Thus, he cornered the guy, and the knight/paladin fought with him, losing the sword. If he was afraid, he would be running, not so much paying attention to where he was running. His words "there are others, i can show you" may not even be in reference to being bhaal spawn. We see it that way because once we know the story, that's what we expect it to be. It could also be like highlander, they sense each other. Either if he was refering to bhaal spawn or others who (had stolen from the iron throne/was a spy for the iron fist/etc), it is very fesiable for the way it happened.

Also, i doubt that was the first bhaal spawn to die. No other bhaal spawn was know to die (except when imoen got killed in durlap's tower by the freaking wall crush trap), but at the end of the game when you see the statues, there are many already broken. So while we don't know the details, it's more of a stretch to assume he was the first to die then it is for him to be weaponless/running up stairs. IMHO, at least.
    g314 said:

Here's the truth! (thanks to Rzepic from dA)

[comic]

There's nothing about this comic that I don't love.

• tinpootinpoo Member Posts: 5
    I think this is the thing that should worry player least of anything else. We can never tell what the case with that particular Bhaalspawn was all about. It just happened. The game doesn`t imply on the significance or backstory of the poor fella, so he should better be perceived as a generic victim of Sarevok`s continuous massacre of the Children. Maybe it was some guy mousetrapped by Winski, maybe it was some goody-good paladin, who somehow got to know about Prophecy, or even one of the Amelissan puppets/servants/clerics. It can be anything so why care?
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Highly doubt it was a Paladin. I just cant see a Paladin showing that much fear towards sarevok, even though he is a so called death bringer. Guess he couldve just been a rubbish Paladin though, lol.
    From the expanded Sarevok Journal:

25th of Tarsakh, 1368: The armor is completed, and is wonderfully appropriate for the terrifying presence of a Deathbringer descended from the Lord of Murder. I shall have to congratulate Winski for helping with the design, especially the additional enchantments awakened only by the presence of the Bhaal essence. The sword shall not be finished for another day or two, but it seems appropriate that I should kill my first sibling with my own bare hands. Goodbye, Colin de'Graage. You are not one of the twenty; Alaundo never gave a damn about you, and neither do I.

It's mod-written but it's very good. And it's a good sounding name for the man.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Since BG2 I always wondered by Imoen never crumbled to dust whenever she acted as wolf decoy in in BG1...
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Bhaalspawn gets lured inside the Iron Throne - it's a business' place, it would be standard for people to come in and out. We don't know what happens inside but we see that the Bhaalspawn is clearly tired, out of a long battle, as he reaches the rooftop of the throne. It is possible that he fought Sarevok and more of his goons inside with a party of his own, right?
    Sarevok was unarmed on the rooftop, possibly having impaled someone else and was just chasing the poor Bhaalspawn. Evidently the Bhaalspawn *knew* where others could be found. Someone else than the PC, since Sarevok knew about the PC already (but clearly didn't know about Imoen, since he never notices a thing until Baldur's Gate 2, easily interpreted as "the devs didn't think of Imoen as a bhaalspawn")

So yeah... information source and bhaalspawn isn't a good idea all in a silly little man.

@decado : certainly a thing that should be addressed actually - Imoen cannot be ressurected. People have been telling me that it is perhaps of the small quantity of Bhaal essence in her, but that makes no sense at all. Bhaal's essence gets away once one dies. Simple as that.