Skip to content

I want to buy Baldur's Gate II: EE but I have questions

2»

Comments

• charstringssuckcharstringssuck Member Posts: 13
    Lucre said:

I held off buying BG1 when it came out, even though I was interested in it, primarily because of the bug reports. But when BG2 came out (which I think is a much better game than BG1, although I understand why some disagree with that), I was interested in getting them both - and by that stage a lot of the BG1 bugs had been fixed.

So I bought them both (on PC) and blasted through the first game and now I'm working my way through the second. I would definitely agree that it's worth getting both games. The first game sets the scene nicely for the second. It's also nice (I'm typing that through clenched teeth) to endure the difficulty of the beginning of the first game in order to become more powerful, and then (hopefully) Godlike in the second game. Also, the ability to export your BG1 character into BG2 gives a real sense of continuity.

So, I would also recommend doing the first game, although it looks like that's what you've done anyway - I'm sure you won't regret it.

I've got a question here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/27543/when-do-companion-dialogue-trigger?new=1

regarding Baldur's Gate 1, can you or anyone answer? Thanks.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    There isn't half as much banter in BG1 as in BG2. Usually it's timed, but it can be triggered by level or a specific event, or another character in the party. It's hard to give you one general rule. Play, and it happens eventually.

Jaheira's romance in BG2 is notoriously hard to figure out. It got bugged for me for whatever reason. Don't do that one if you value your sanity :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Dee said:

Shawne likes the original because Ascension isn't updated for the EE yet.

Just to chime in here: that's literally the only thing keeping me from uninstalling the originals.

I've been critical of the EEs in the past (and not without cause), but when it comes to a straightforward comparison of the two versions, the only thing the originals really have going for them anymore is mod compatibility. And while I have a healthy amount of respect for anyone who sits down and creates new content for BG, there's still a "core" experience to the games, one which has been translated to the EE intact. (Ascension is a sticking point for me because when a mod contains input from the game's senior designer, it is - and should be - canon.)

Yes, there are bugs. Losing the Slayer change after a single use is unacceptable; stuttering movement in the Underdark really should've been solved given Hexxat's innate regeneration; and a lot of the content specifically relating to the new characters is bugged. But these are things that can (and probably will) be fixed in the short-term.

EE compatibility with the entirety of BG2's extensive mod library will likely take years. But the games themselves, the essence of what "Baldur's Gate" actually is? The EEs are very nearly there.