Skip to content

*** Spoiler Warning : Need Help in Underdark Subquest

All - I've been playing the BG series of games for about a year now, and love them, but I find myself stuck and am asking for help. I am on the 'Captured by Mind Flayers' sub-quest in the Underdark. I had set my party to an all-out attack mode on AI, and we had some nasty fights with the various mind-mashers in the lair.

Not realizing that I needed to capture one to open some doors, my party killed them as we encountered them. I was then stuck trying to get through a door so I checked out some playthroughs to see what was going on. I've essentially cleared the level but now I'm stuck outside the door to the Master Brain and I can't get through. I have had to resort to CLUA consoling in a Mind Flayer, which I then use one of the circlets to control. He will open the first door, then he attacks me. My party has to fight him, and we kill him, but then I can't get through the second door in that hallway.

I saw one walkthrough that said you could switch to Slayer Form, which I did, and it cost me 2 points of rep but I still couldn't open the door. This was literally the first time I'd ever tried using that form but it still didn't work.

Is there a key somewhere in a chest or someplace that I missed, or do I need to CLUA in a creature other than a Mind Flayer to open that second door? I'm trying hard not to cheat too much but I'm essentially stuck with no way out and no way forward.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely -
TPSullivan1 playing as Airissa Fastblade/Female Elf, True Neutral, Fighter/Thief

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    IIRC there is a room on the right side of the level where mind flayers respawn.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    I am almost too ashamed to admit this, but...

Once I posted the thread, I starting rolling through everything I could think of to try and open the door. My Thief skills wouldn't work, but why don't I try and force the door open? Et voila, it worked. Seriously, I'm racking my brain OVERthinking the problem, when good old fashioned brute force was needed. I swear, I wonder why I love playing a game that makes me feel like such an idiot. Or perhaps I should say, I love playing this game, but I am an idiot. :-|

Thanks for the tip nano
    nano said:

IIRC there is a room on the right side of the level where mind flayers respawn.

, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Now I wonder if I'll ever feel competent enough to start another thread in these forums...
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    It took me ages too to find another fucking Mind Flyer, and turning into the Slayer and going to open the door naturally as the Slayer also works, that's what I've heard in the forums.
    I've also used my Thieving skills, and then I was amazed how foolish I was, don't feel bad man, it happens to lots of people.
  • TPSullivan1TPSullivan1 Member Posts: 30
    CrevsDaak said:

It took me ages too to find another fucking Mind Flyer, and turning into the Slayer and going to open the door naturally as the Slayer also works, that's what I've heard in the forums.
    I've also used my Thieving skills, and then I was amazed how foolish I was, don't feel bad man, it happens to lots of people.

I tried the Slayer form and it didn't work, but I'm not sure why. I just reloaded, and then I had my 'bash it in' epiphany. Thanks for the help!