Skip to content

Party without a priest?

How crippling is it to not have a cleric or druid in the party?

Here is the current composition of my BG2EE party:

1. PC - Blade (neutral good)
2. Neera
3. Rasaad
4. Yoshimo [to be replaced eventually with Imoen]
5. Valygar

I'm debating which NPC to recruit into slot #6, most likely either Anomen or Mazzy.

I would prefer to have Mazzy, but I'm worried that not having a priest in the party may lead to long-term difficulties.

(But perhaps the extra challenge would be … stimulating.)

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 903
    Oh yeah, I'm also considering Keldorn for slot #6, but that doesn't change the main question.
  • AcridSyphilisAcridSyphilis Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013
    You're going to have a tough time against vampires/shadows/anything with level drain without a cleric. Your rest times are also probably gonna be through the roof. It's certainly possible though. I would strongly recommend Anomen since he's both a good tank and a good cleric. Keldorn might be the better choice over Mazzy if you decide to go priestless because he has dispel magic and true sight(or is it seeing) which I usually have my priests implement.
    @AcridSyphilis: Thanks. Yes, dealing with undead, and especially level-drainers, would be difficult without a cleric.

Thus far I've been relying on Daystar and Azuredge, with a few scrolls of Restoration. But that is certainly a consideration.

As for rest times, I have a ring of regeneration, which I share around wounded party members. That, combined with limited healing (my Bhaal abilities, Rasaad healing himself with 'lay on hands', Valygar's minor spells), and use of potions (which seem ubiquitous), has kept things under control.

Still, it is an inconvenience, to be sure...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited December 2013
    Ain't no party like a Catholic priest party~

Dealing with undead you can use items that grant level drain immunity, like Amulet of Power IIRC. Maybe potions and scrolls.

Rest times don't matter in these games. Resting for 8 days is the same as resting for 8 hours for all intents and purposes. Besides, you can heal quickly at temples should the need arise.

An inconvenience at worst; mostly inconsequential.
  • LarkusLarkus Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2013
    Going without a cleric is perfectly doable.

You certainly don't need a cleric for _healing_ in vanilla BG:SoA

In-combat healing: Rod of Resurrection (heals all hit points of one character, instantly, across the whole map), Potions of Extra Healing

There are two Rods of Resurrection in SoA, an additional one in ToB. If you feel cheesy, use Vhailors Helm and let your Simulacrum use them, if not, recharge the wands from time to time. In ToB you can also acquire Foebane +5, the only weapon that can keep you fully healed in combat by hitting things. Late in Tob you can use Hindo's Doom +4 for one Greater Restoration per day.

Between-combat healing: regeneration items, Potions of Healing

There are two Rings of Regeneration in in the game, up to two Rings of Gaxx (depending on how cheesy you feel), the Pearly White Ioun Stone, Dragon Slayer Longsword, Axe of Unyielding +3, and Blackrazor. In ToB you can improve the regeneration rate of the Axe of Unyielding quite some bit.

Then there are the odd cases, just for completeness:
    Sword of Chaos, Adjatha the Drinker - I'm not sure whether their healing effects are worth their use;
    Larloch's Minor Drain, Vampire Touch - drain some bunnies, or even chests or doors!;
    Limited Wish - 20hp for each party member is too little effect for a lvl 7 spell;
    Wish - too unreliable to use it specifically for healing purposes, but if you make regular use of the Wish Endless Spells Strategy, you may get healing as a side effect. http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/EndlessSpells.htm#Wish
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    It's not the healing so much as the buffs you'll be missing. Additionally, they have some invaluable utility such as turn undead, sunray, and being able to summon skeleton warriors and devas at high levels. The game is still perfectly playable without them of course.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    No problem st all the way the game throws potions at you. get amulet of power quickly and summon meat shields for undead battles. Later on you'll get more protection items like mace of disruption anyway. Also negative plane protection is nerved, only lasts 5 rounds (I think it used to last longer, at least it should by PnP rules).

I'm currently playing without a priest and the only buffs I really miss are prot evil 10' radius (mostly because it's such a convenient buff for the lazy like me) and chaotic commands. I keep Lilacor around and have some potions plus the greenstone amulet in case I need them.
  • LarkusLarkus Member Posts: 54
    edited December 2013

It's not the healing so much as the buffs you'll be missing. Additionally, they have some invaluable utility such as turn undead, sunray, and being able to summon skeleton warriors and devas at high levels. The game is still perfectly playable without them of course.

I don't think that divine spells are so important that you will miss them. Most divine spells have either an arcane counterpart, or an acceptable workaround.

Turn Undead is not something that I found myself using regularly. Sure, it's nice to explode Liches, but with access to arcane spells (Death Fog), and/or Keldorns Dispel, and/or Protection from Undead, Liches tend to be not that much of a challenge, at least not in an unmodded game.
    Are there any Undead that you would feel uncomfortable facing without Turn Undead? If yes, which would that be?
    Sunray - Daystar is one of these "You don't need a cleric to do this" items...
    Skeleton Warriors - Thrasymachus has three mages in his party, who can all cast Animate Dead.
    Devas - Planetars

Concerning divine buffs, I suspect you mean such spells as Free Action, Death Ward and Chaotic Commands?
    While these are excellent spells, there are workarounds:

These spells become less and less important, as Thrasymachus' party gains better and better saves (natural saves, shorty save boni (Mazzy), class save boni (Rasaad, Keldorn), equipment boni, and spells - Mass Invisibility alone gives +4 to all saves for the whole party, Spirit Armor gives an additional +3 to saves vs. spells).

Spell users can protect themselves with Spell Immunity.
    Chaotic Commands - Greenstone Amulet.
    Many items offer permanent immunity to various spell effects.

Are there any other buffs that you think a party would miss? Maybe there are. But I think, especially in BG2, with "healing potions lying in the streets" and more than enough "you don't need a cleric to do this" items, clerics don't bring enough to the table that they require a permanent place in an adventuring party - from a power perspective. There may be very good reasons to take a cleric along, though - from a roleplaying perspective; whether that's the case, that's something that only @Thrasymachus can answer for himself.
    Skaffen said:

I'm currently playing without a priest and the only buffs I really miss are prot evil 10' radius (mostly because it's such a convenient buff for the lazy like me

Indeed, Protection from Evil 10' radius is a very convenient spell, but if Thrasymachus takes Keldorn along, then he should have enough castings of Protection from Evil for the whole party.
    I specifically said they are not required, just that they add a lot of value. For example, you *could* use Daystar. Or you could use Daystar and your cleric Sunray. That instagibbed Kangaxx's lich form for me. Is that needed? Probably not but it's still great. You could replace cleric healing with potions, or you could have a front-liner like Anomen who can also cast Mass Cure, Heal and Regeneration. I don't know about you, but I'm not swimming in full healing potions.

Ultimately you don't really need any specific class to complete the game and you can do just fine without clerics. You just can't convince me that clerics don't have any valuable functions.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    technically since you can solo as any class/kit in the game, you don't need one. You will definitely have a bad time without some protection spells that they offer though.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    I would also prefer keldorn. There is already a bit of micromanagement required to run your final party. A straight-up fighter with some anti-mage kit would spare you this tediousness.
    Thanks for all the feedback and advice!

Since I would prefer either Keldorn or Mazzy over Anomen (at least for this group), I'll try going priest-free.

Now to decide between Mazzy and Keldorn… (decisions, decisions)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Mazzy EEKeepered to Cavalier.

Mazzy EEKeepered to Cavalier.

I don't really see the point in that, to be honest. Her fighter kit makes her effectively a paladin, but with the fighter's progression rate and access to grand mastery.

And if I'm going to recruit Mazzy, I'd want her with her helpful grand mastery in short bows...
  • amftronamftron Member Posts: 109
    Priest free is certainly doable.

I'm currently running a Mage free party.... taking down spell defenses can be difficult at times, but it's keeping me entertained.

(party is Cleric/Thief Charname, Dorn, Hexxat, Viconia, Jaheira and rotating npc spot based on quests...currently Cernd)
    I prefer Mazzy personally. She's pretty darn good once you get her strength up.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Priests are not the most fun people to party with, in my humble opinion.
    edited December 2013
    Gameplay-wise, maybe not. I like to have "classic" parties with figher, mage, thief, cleric. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea though.

Personality-wise Viccy is not too self-righteous (but maybe a tad crazy). Anomen and Aerie both get on my nerves a bit. I thought Branwen and Yeslick were alright though.

Or are you talking about real-life priests? :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    The problem in this game is that it's hard to keep your rep from going over 18 unless you do stuff a stupid criminal would so it's actually really hard to role play LE... I keep getting scared that I'll go over 18 rep and Viccy will walk out.

I'm saving the silver pantaloons quest in my back pocket for a quick two rep drop...
    @kryptix: It's not that hard once you are able to turn into the Slayer (it's an easy way to lower your rep by two points whenever necessary -- just make sure your other party members are a safe distance away).

@kryptix: It's not that hard once you are able to turn into the Slayer (it's an easy way to lower your rep by two points whenever necessary -- just make sure your other party members are a safe distance away).

Yeah I just never find it in me to leave chapter 3 early...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

Or are you talking about real-life priests? :)

I think he's talking about real-life parties with real-life priests :p
  • LambstarLambstar Member Posts: 5
    I haven't used a priestless party yet. Not so much for the lack of healing as the lack of Restoration. I think it might be more viable in ToB since there's not as much level drain there and what there is can't usually instagib you like certain enemies in SoA.
    You can do maevar then oh to chapter 3 right away and have an amulet of power the whole time to tank vamps...
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Bear in mind if you are running a party with Dorn that he is immune to level drain which helps as well.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    You also get the Mace of Disruption +1 from Aran Linvail's third quest in Chapter 3, and then upgrade it to its +2 version using the Illithium from a quest you get from one of the churches in the Temple District. The +2 version strikes as a +5 (so nothing is immune to it), has immunity to level drain, does double damage to undead, and can kill them outright at a -4 save penalty. It's a great secondary main weapon for the entire game given how common undead are.