Skip to content

Interview with Trent Oster

Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 Member Posts: 15
Hello fellow Baldur's Gate fans.

I am a co-host of the Racketboy podcast and I recently conducted an interview with Trent for our latest episode.

For those interested in listening in you can find it here: http://www.racketboy.com/podcast/racketboy-podcast-42-trent-oster

Thanks and enjoy. It was a pleasure sitting down with Trent and discussing one of my favorite games and series.
Post edited by Jmustang1968 on

Comments

• KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    It's a nice interview. Trent basically hits on the same points we've been hearing (fixing the bugs, OpenGL programming, adding content, licensing problems with changing existing content, losing the original art assets, enjoying the iPad on the beach, Beamdog client controversy) but for people who are not as up to date, it has some worthwhile information.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited August 2012
    Interesting Interview, though no new information is being revealed... :-p
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    You should have pressed him on the "not seeing eye to eye after the EA aquisition" comment
    Nice interview though.
  • RenshtalisRenshtalis Member Posts: 136
    Great interview! Trent 'got a problem' Oster, loved it!
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2012
    ajwz said:

You should have pressed him on the "not seeing eye to eye after the EA aquisition" comment
    Nice interview though.

I did think about it, but decided to keep the focus on BGEE and not go too far off tangent. I didn't want the interview to turn into some headline that former Bioware employee bashes EA or something along those lines...

I am glad you guys enjoyed it.

• ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    What's a podcast?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Zafiro said:

What's a podcast?

Basically it is a pre-recorded web radio show.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    @smeagolheart, @Jmustang1968, right, thanks.
  • luluscadoluluscado Member Posts: 69
    Very nice interview
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    Yeah thanks to Mr. Oster for sharing some of his time. Cool interview and i loved the nwn part:)
    Post edited by NWN_babaYaga on
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    I liked the part and your format. I will download the one with David Gaider today :)
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    The download link goes straight to a 404 page for me
    http://randomracket.com/podcast/racketboy-podcast-004.mp3
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    @Nimz you can listen to the podcast online, there is a "play" button just very small and easy to overlook. I missed it the first time too and yes, the download option didnt work for me either.
    Nimz said:

The download link goes straight to a 404 page for me
    http://randomracket.com/podcast/racketboy-podcast-004.mp3

Let me look into it. We should be up on Itunes as well
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Yeah great Interview!
    Was that a fart @ 9:32? :D
    Khamill said:

Yeah great Interview!
    Was that a fart @ 9:32? :D

Haha no, I believe it was a noise from Trent's mic as he moved something or knocked something over in his office...
    The download link has been fixed
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    Great interview.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Although we asked for new art and stuff, what he said is actually true.

If they went with the original plan ( if the art assets were not lost), i'm betting everyone would say the same thing "ok what's new except graphics, am i to buy it just because it looks better?" so yeah, i can understand their point of view a bit better now.

Maybe what they do is actually better and more promising, increase the gameplay features and fun factor, and the game will actually look better, since there are graphic enhancements done, just not different art.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113
    Highlights for me..
    BG 3 somehow continues TOB story..format a mesh between BG & NWN. Committed to top down ISO party based :-)
    Wants Beamdog/Overhaul to be leader in this style/format cause the big boys have given up on it..
    Wants to stay DND based while understanding new ruleset has advantages too..
    ***personal hope..stay in DND rules/worlds...***
    pkloop said:

Highlights for me..
    BG 3 somehow continues TOB story..format a mesh between BG & NWN. Committed to top down ISO party based :-)
    Wants Beamdog/Overhaul to be leader in this style/format cause the big boys have given up on it..
    Wants to stay DND based while understanding new ruleset has advantages too..
    ***personal hope..stay in DND rules/worlds...***

Yeah, I think BG3 would do well to stick with D&D rules.

I agree with your other points, those are all things I felt were highlights as well and it was interesting to hear his answers on the subject to say the least.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    A shiver went down my spine at hearing the BG music again for the first time in *so* long!
  • purebredcornpurebredcorn Member Posts: 77
    LadyRhian said:

A shiver went down my spine at hearing the BG music again for the first time in *so* long!

Me too. And then a wave of EXCITEMENT!