Skip to content

Carsomyr vs Purifier

Which should I spec for?

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Carsomyr
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Carsomyr you gain the full benefits of earlier. Purifier really doesnt catch up until you upgrade it. Even then if you upgrade carsomyr instead you can hit through mantle.

That said just pick whichever you want really. Or go double pally, give carsomyr to keldorn and take purifier for yourself.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    I'd go with Carsomyr, the Dispel on Hit is great, and unless they fix/amend the 50% MR, it's the best-in-slot for most characters who enjoy not being magically vulnerable to anything. Purifier at 30% and no particularly great features otherwise is rather lacking. Foebane's a much more optimal choice for a Bastard sword thanks to the wider range of targets and the +4 damage/drain health per hit.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Carsomyr is a better stand alone weapon, but seeing as how you can dual wield with the Purifier I prefer that option, although it depends when you're gonna do WK. No point spending points in a weapon if you don't plan on acquiring it until chapter 9 or something.

Really though the answer can be both. Two-handed swords are a good choice because there's just so many decent options (and then some very good ones). Bastard swords in comparison aren't great outside of WK. But seeing as you have six points at creation you could start with:
    2* 2h sword
    1* 2h weapon style (the first * is much more important than the second)
    2* bastard sword
    1* scimitar or short sword
    then spend your level 9 and 12 points in dual wielding.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    both are great, but purifier only challenges carsomyr if you dual it. foebane and purifier is really nasty combo!
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Just curious, but is it possible to get Purifier if Charname is not Lawful Good? Can you use another LG character to get it?
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Yes, you just need one LG character to take it out of the pillar.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    For any form of Paladin other than an inquisitor I'd say Carsomyr. For an inquisitor I'd say Purifier. Only because if you go that route you can use it with or alternate it with using Foebane (and in fact you can easily pick up Foebane and then use it to acquire the Purifier). Also once an inquisitor hits level 15 the dispel on hit effect of Carsomyr is as effective as his/her innate dispel magic (and even before that point you are unlikely to run into enemies that will be high enough to be unaffected by your dispel magic innate ability).
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    If carsomyr could talk, I'm sure it would say "Hey wouldn't it be cool if you could dual-wield me??"
  • Rylorn23Rylorn23 Member Posts: 77
    I prefer a greatswords, so I also prefer to use Carsomyr. :)
    I use Purifier on a cavalier when I want to be the classic knight in shining armor and shield. It goes great with cavalier, since they also love weapons like the Dragonsbane longsword or w/e (double damage versus dragons). That said using a shield by mid to late SoA is kinda pointless on a legit frontliner. If you CAN dual-wield its better, the weapons just give fantastic stats that shields dont.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Carsomyr's technically better, but honestly it's an overrated weapon. Purifier means that you can equip a shield of any kind and increase your AC and whatnot. You can also dual-wield an off-hand belm or kundane or whatever you want but that's a different story.
  • aikavariaikavari Member Posts: 7
    I chose Carsomyr in the end, the reason for which (mundane as it may seem) is that I wanted to also equip a crossbow on my Inquisitor and didn't want to bother switching out shields or offhand weapons. :-/
    I REALLY wish they could have incorporated IWD2's weapon equip system. Being able to have multiple "sets" of weapons equipped at a time to easily switch between S&S, DW or ranged (if using xbow or bow) was incredibly awesome. One of my favorite things about IWD2 other than dual class paladin/wizards.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598

I REALLY wish they could have incorporated IWD2's weapon equip system. Being able to have multiple "sets" of weapons equipped at a time to easily switch between S&S, DW or ranged (if using xbow or bow) was incredibly awesome. One of my favorite things about IWD2 other than dual class paladin/wizards.

I too love paladin wizards, I've played several in pnp

• onanonan Member Posts: 223
    I remember modding the carsomyr to a bastard sword about 10 years ago. It was such great cheese...