Skip to content

How should Free Action on items work?

raerae Member Posts: 35
  1. How should Free Action on items work?82 votes
    1. Free Action on Flail of Ages +5 shouldn't prevent haste but Ring of Free Action should prevent haste.
      14.63%
    2. Free Action on Flail of Ages +5 and Ring of Free Action shouldn't prevent haste.
      57.32%
    3. Free Action on Flail of Ages +5 and Ring of Free Action should prevent haste.
      28.05%

Comments

• DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    That could make those items more powerful than they should be when considering game balance. Just the way I like my items to be.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    I feel that free action should always be a buff. It makes the least sense with FoA where it actually gets *worse* after being upgraded.

On the other hand, Flail of Ages is too powerful a weapon if it allows haste. Ideally, I'd like both haste to be allowed on free action and the end-game weaponry to be rebalanced just a bit. It would annoy me if FoA was always the best choice no matter what. Right now, the fact that it prevents haste is the only thing keeping it from being incredibly overpowered. Heck it's still overpowered as it is.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Free Action the spell states that the recipient becomes "immune to anything that affects his movement." The rest of the spell description states that this includes "Web, Hold Person, Grease, and Entangle" but it doesn't state if this is includes an immunity to positive spells.

The Potion of Freedom says that "the drinker becomes completely immune to any effects that influences action or movement."

The Ring of Free Action states that its immunity includes Haste and Slow spells (as well as anything that affects movement in any way).

Keldorn's Armor describes the Free Action it grants as "the ability to pass through Webs and other effects."

Spider's Bane doesn't state it has free action (though it gives that symbol) but it does state that it protects the wielder from "any magics that adversely affect movement, such as Web and Hold" (I think Arbane's Sword +2 also gives that symbol but in its case only protects against hold)

FoA +5/Ixil's Spike +6 just state "Free Action."

It really comes down to interpretation. Since the spell has always cancelled haste (unless you put items on or activate spells in the right order) I lean towards saying it should cancel haste. Then again how does it affect the movement increase given by the whirlwind abilities? Certainly doesn't make things straightforward :)
    Post edited by elminster on
    Although I'd prefer it to be a buff, I can't really disagree with that argument, Elminster. I just think it's silly that you upgrade an item and it gets worse.

But I guess it's also because we overanalyze the game. Maybe the average player is not meant to be running Improved Haste constantly, in which case FoA+5 is an amazing weapon.

• acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2013
    If free action were on the other previous versions of the FoA it would make perfect sense. Not only that, but I don't even think there is warning of the addition of free action. The description of the +4 states that it can be upgraded with even more power, but no mention of Free Action.The addition of it Free Action on the +5 makes it feel like the player is being penalized for being a completionist which is never good.

I'd be perfectly willing to nerf the damage from 2 elemental damage to 1 if it meant removing free action.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Items like Spider's Bane set the Free Action icon, but their description makes it clear that they don't give full Free Action. If the Flail of Ages +5 states it has Free Action, without anything specific following it, then it should be consistent with the Ring of Free Action.

Whether the Flail of Ages +5 should have Free Action or not is up to debate, but if it does have the ability then it should at least be consistent and prevent Haste. I don't think it's particularly good game sense that a weapon gets a downside as a result of upgrading it, but it is what it is.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    Free Action should prevent any effect affecting your speeds, just stuff that increases your movement rate like the Barbarian kit or certain items
    like Silver Dragon Scale Mail
    Mitchfork said:

Whether the Flail of Ages +5 should have Free Action or not is up to debate

Are we not allowed to discuss alternatives? It is actually about as relevant as it gets; we're having this whole discussion because Free Action makes FoA+5 a downgrade.

I know it's unlikely to change though since the Enhanced Edition isn't really supposed to drastically rebalance anything. I'm fine with that, but if we can discuss changes to Free Action, surely changes to items that have Free Action are just as valid.

Mitchfork said:

Whether the Flail of Ages +5 should have Free Action or not is up to debate

Are we not allowed to discuss alternatives? It is actually about as relevant as it gets; we're having this whole discussion because Free Action makes FoA+5 a downgrade.

I know it's unlikely to change though since the Enhanced Edition isn't really supposed to drastically rebalance anything. I'm fine with that, but if we can discuss changes to Free Action, surely changes to items that have Free Action are just as valid.
    Err, I worded that badly. I meant that they should be consistent, so either they both should prevent Haste or both should allow Haste.

• KilmantorKilmantor Member Posts: 34
    Is there a mod out that removes Free Action from FoA or alters it that way that the wielder can be hasted?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    There's a couple of override files floating around the site somewhere. I'll see if I can find them and the author.

They work too - at least in BGEE so far.
  • stargazerbstargazerb Member Posts: 57
    I like powerful items and spells with serious drawbacks. Fireball in BG1 is a good example. I like when things need to be used carefully and under the right circumstance instead of being an all-in-one powergaming megatool.

For me it makes for more interesting gameplay.
  • acw18acw18 Member Posts: 62
    edited December 2013

I like powerful items and spells with serious drawbacks. Fireball in BG1 is a good example. I like when things need to be used carefully and under the right circumstance instead of being an all-in-one powergaming megatool.

This is fine and I agree, however in the case if FoA it seems odd because this drawback appears on no previous version of the weapon. It should either be on all versions of FoA or none of them for the sake of consistency. A perfect example of this is the club of detonation. the club has a % chance of fireballing your group in every version of the weapon, as such it feels consistent. In the case of FoA it feels like the player is being punished for being thorough

• sunset00sunset00 Member Posts: 310
    Well.. a good and delicate question indeed..^^

...i of course hesitated between 1 or 2 (the blue one)... but i finally decided for 1. might at least be a _compromise_ on that question, maybe ; the ring IS the only item/etc with FA that is clearly stating that it is affecting slow AND haste.. every other FA items/etc just simply imply to PROTECT from everything that 'impends' or 'hinders' or 'limits' movement or action (aka affect movement NEGATIVELY).. always... never talking explicitely about things that improve or boost movement too (aka affects movement POSITIVELY).. only things that reduce action and mobility..aka an help so, and not a reduction when you are using a speed boost. And that expecially makes sense when FA is directly implemented on key items.. like weapons (FoA+5 of course, but a few others too..if speed boosts forbidden by FA, then the weapon is totally killing one of the key fighter tricks; speeds..not the best premium gift..), but also armors (Keldorn armor of course..that in the original BG2 did NOT prevent any haste/IH spells or potions..just protecting him..). And, to be verified, but when searching quickly on that question recently (what is the original AD&D POV btw?, on that question..the real AD&D..the real FA paperbook definition..if someone has the original manuals, i would be very interested too..to be sure on that too..).. i alqo found some girdle in Icewindale that came with FA and.. Haste charges..here again, if that was so incompatible, would be a really poor choice of charges implementation with an innate FA item, i thought quickly..^

Anyway..the ring seems to be different too; the (even the original BG2 one..) decription is (at least) clear on that one : initial error in the description? OR simple wish to do a real unique item, there (and balance to gameplay/easiness to use FA at will with that one as such); aka, a ring, the easiest to use of every items (aka FA with just a switch..even in the middle of a fight, no armor/weapon to switch, no timing to wait with potion/spell, instantaneous..)... maybe the ring is simply a unique one, just removing the haste/speed for balance gameplay reason on that one.. _that_ i could understand too though..a unique ring, why not too..that may block the H/IH but only that truly unique and special item.. but all the other FA items/potions/spells would stay compatible with haste/IH... would be fine to me too..and a compromise at least..and respecting the ring unique detailed description too then..a very 'special gift' indeed then^.. with an unique usefulness/easiness to use, but also unique double edge effect for that one so.. ^

ok..to finish, what is sayng exactly the original AD&D about FA so? i tried to search some doc on that on the vast www, but no luck..someone having the paperbooks and able to look for the very first FA definition stricto sensu so (in the original paperboard versions so) ?.. tia..

ps;
    the FA problem is even worst with the very specific Bard Blades class; Their really unique abilities (and all relative in the final game stages..).. are their Offensive/defensive Spins, that are all based on..movement modifiers (that's even the whole point with Blades 'bonuses'..^)..right now (EE v1.2.2030), FA do waste all the DS charges (totally wasting them..not possible to even launch a DS under a FA effect..and that can be for a very long time..at least, in the original BG2..you could launch DS with FA..even if then, that was weird too to see the movement lock removed..but that can be fixed too; we can allow FA+DS and keep the movement lock under DS if wished..just a commandline too under DLTCEP)..and of course, the speed boosts from OS are also affected as such (if FA considered stricto sensu like the ring evertyime so..).. hm.. no luck for the Blades with FA effect on them..a real double curse for them..as such..^
    elminster said:

It really comes down to interpretation. Since the spell has always cancelled haste (unless you put items on or activate spells in the right order) I lean towards saying it should cancel haste. Then again how does it affect the movement increase given by the whirlwind abilities? Certainly doesn't make things straightforward :)

Yes.. and/but that is the problem too. Things should not be dependant of the 'order' used..Or that is one thing..or that is the other (independantly of the 'order', mixed effects should always be the same, for the consistency sake..)..that makes NO sense to say 'ok, that's it! (..but if you don't agree, just switch the order..that will work as you wish then, pouf pouf..all normal!^^').. or that is an "exploit" (and as such should not be even possible if really 'fixed' in one way or the other anyway..).. and as such..makes no sense too to promote it at the same time then.. btw, the original Keldorn armor did allow H.IH boosts in the original BG2.. a few things i could test recently in another tool lonnng thread^..not sure if that is worth redirecting to that one ( http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/428366/#Comment_428366 ) ..but yes, things were not that simple in the original too..but anyway, we should NEVEr have 'just use that in the right order" (aka using an 'exploit' then..), and call it a day (and be happy, all fine!^)..makes no sense too..or that is one way, or that is the other way (and no exploits here and there to be able to do exactly the reverse..just by changing the 'orders' with a few items or not..same with the IH gloves btw..that can also be combined if used first, etc..not normal too..but also with the bard blades offensive spins, same..or OS/H/IH wasted completely if used in the other 'correct/incorrect' sequence order..). BTW.. the mention of the Whirlwind is interesting too..i always wondered why Blades Offensive Spins should be wasting completely (IF launched first, again^..) with H/IH (or reversed if OS launched first..here again^).. and why DS should do the same with FA.if considered 'natural' both..something not making sense again there, etc, etc..just not in a lucky way for the Blades in comparison, here again, at least.. *// ^
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

I do too, and I wish the other +5 weapons came with downsides as well. The club of detonation is a fun one because of the chance of fireballing yourself and any bystanders. I'm a big believer that power should come at a price.
    sunset00 said:

ps;
    the FA problem is even worst with the very specific Bard Blades class; Their really unique abilities (and all relative in the final game stages..).. are their Offensive/defensive Spins, that are all based on..movement modifiers (that's even the whole point with Blades 'bonuses'..^)..right now (EE v1.2.2030), FA do waste all the DS charges (totally wasting them..not possible to even launch a DS under a FA effect..and that can be for a very long time..at least, in the original BG2..you could launch DS with FA..even if then, that was weird too to see the movement lock removed..but that can be fixed too; we can allow FA+DS and keep the movement lock under DS if wished..just a commandline too under DLTCEP)..and of course, the speed boosts from OS are also affected as such (if FA considered stricto sensu like the ring evertyime so..).. hm.. no luck for the Blades with FA effect on them..a real double curse for them..as such..^

This definitely sounds like a bug. Does Free Action prevent the Dwarven Defender's Defensive Stance as well?

In these cases Free Action should have no effect, because these are non-magical abilities where the character is choosing to limit their movement in exchange for better defenses.
    @Mitchfork ; i agree.. i don't know what is the interaction with the Dwarven Defender's Defensive Stance (did someone test on that one and send a feedback indeed?), but seems to be the exact same logic, yes. I only know the Blades behaviours; FA (once on..aka launched first..) just block (and waste) the DS charges as such... on the other hand, the original BG2 was kinda more 'logical' with that, aka allowed the use of FA+DS (no wastes)...but also actedas if considering the DS movement lock 'magical', aka was removing the movement lock too, so the weird and abused original BG2 usage of the ring of FA with DS.. i also think a simple FA+DS (but NO movement lock removed) should be ok too... at least for the DS (aka 'natural' lock indeed..although, Blade can use throwing weapons and/or throw spells under DS too, another 'weird' thing too..but that's another thing too..if was only a 'natural' effect requiring all his movements and concentration, the spells usage/bows/etc should be locked too, etc..hm). ^ For the rest.. well, FA on weapons/armor (keldorn)/etc really hurt mainly _fighters_ (/H/IH interaction of course - if H/IH boosts not only disabled during the FA effects, but totally wasted too if launched after the FA..), and not just the Blades too (but of course, for the Blades the problem is doubled / their DS^).. so, yes, complex problem.. so my opinion to only use, the 'full total equalizer' FA effect only for the ring at least..of course, for non fighters, the FA/speed problems is not vital, but for fighters (ATT/r speed is essential)...really feels too weird in practice (apart with the very temporary and easily removable ring so, maybe..ok). To be followed.. ^
    Btw..as for the high levels weapons, you don't only have FoA+5 that is 'offering' innate FA.. you also have the ultra high level Spear 'Ixil's Spike +6', also final ToB Cespanar upgrade from the more basic 'Ixil's Nail +4'..another one with FA so !..
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    The words 'Free Action' alone imply: Nothing hinders you from performing free actions.
    So stun effects and similiar should be prevented.
    Why on earth it isn't allow to haste you, which doesn't hinder you in your FREE action in any way is beyond me.
    Plus, in PnP AdnD, Free Action and Haste will function as well.

@Devs
    What was your point then to change this behaviour from the classic one?
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I've said this many times before, but free action is an absolute mess in vBG2. Just a small sample:
    • Being under free action at level-up would permanently prevent monks and barbarians from receiving their innate speed increases
    • Most forms of free action also included immunity to charm
    • Arbane's Sword says immunity to hold, but was actually providing free action-ish protections
    • Just about all free action items and spells let through some cosmetic side-effects that it actually protected against (strings like 'slow' and 'held', portrait icons for web or grease, etc.). Some were also outright missing protections against effects.
    • Some forms of free action also included immunity to stun, which was confirmed by Gaider to be outside the scope of its protections
    FoA +5, Ixil's Spike +6, RoFA and the spell all prevented haste in vBG2, there were simply easy exploits to work around it. This isn't something new or different. Keldorn's armor did not, but it was also wearable by monks and could have its free action dispelled, so let's just say it isn't the best example of a well-coded item.

Now, defensive spin and free action should co-exist happily in EE, i.e. you should be able to enter DS while under free action, but still not be able to move. If this is not the current behavior, we'll get a fix in for it.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I dont get the answer above. Fixing the bugs above sound great but what has it got to do with free action not allowing haste?

Also free action should protect vs maze and imprisonment. Hardly free to act when mazed are we?
    I understand the difficulties.
    I just think it is important to note, that 'free action' should not be a stopper for haste effects.
    This is from a simple logical point of view, but also according to the PnP rules.
    edited December 2013

Also free action should protect vs maze and imprisonment. Hardly free to act when mazed are we?

This game is quite accurately based upon the ADnD 2nd edition ruleset.
    Imprisonment is a pretty powerful and high level spell. Mechanically free action is a shield vs a defined amount of effects (e.g. some hold effects like web) rather than vs a set of all imaginable effects. Otherwise this medium level spell would be too powerful just from a game-mechanical perspective.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    hansolo said:

This game is quite accurately based upon the ADnD 2nd edition ruleset.

No, it's an incredibly house-ruled version of 2e. One of the house rules the original devs decided upon was free action precludes haste, and EE has not changed that.
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, I said 'quite' for a reason, this is a relative term of course. Compared to other DnD games the Infinity ones still are quite accurate. there had to be made some changes to accomodate the different medium, and there is a good amount of house rules, you're right.

I'd be glad though, if you could make free action + haste a possible interaction because of the reasons I mentioned earlier :)
    It is no way a game stopper but I personally find it rather irritating, the way it works now.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    By fluff maze an imprisonment don't hinder the character's movement, but instead banish them to a pocket plane or something similar, so I don't think free action should protect against those. It's more like being stuck on an island than being tied up.

For the poll, I would actually prefer that the ring not prevent haste while the flail does, and that all versions of the flail have free action for consistency. This is 100% for balancing (a dubious proposition in BG, granted) and not at all for flavor or in world logic reasons, though the latter could be explained with in game text or something. The flail is insanely strong, so this offers a nice balance to that, but the rings get very limited play as is an I think they could use the buff.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Imprisonment is lame and should offer either a saving throw or item that protects against it. Free action sounds good to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2013
    Kilmantor said:

Is there a mod out that removes Free Action from FoA or alters it that way that the wielder can be hasted?

I posted this in another thread, but I don't know how to link to a specific post in a given thread (and that one got a bit scrambled) so I'll just add em here. This alters the FoA +5, RoFA and Ixil's Spike +6 so that they do not prevent haste or improved haste (also lets the icons display, doesn't dispel haste on equip, etc). Just unzip this into your Overrides folder. I haven't touched the Free Action spell itself, as I don't use it.
    edited December 2013
    hansolo said:

Plus, in PnP AdnD, Free Action and Haste will function as well.

Great, that was the info i was looking for (hard to find it back now only through the web) !
    ... definitively convince me i can go ahead with a little personal fix as well (mine will be just a little bigger to do..on all items that can be concerned and.. i have to include the bard blade interaction bug(waste) with DS as well..in theory, no problem, already noticed how to do that last time i checked and had a little time for that)..only thing will be to miss not a single items with FA (+pot+spell, et)c..maybe there is a global search possible on the string/ref with DLTCEP/NI, will see that..but in theory, i noticed too how to do that, possible yes) ).

ps;
    and thx for the others to Cyteen for the quick fix on the main weapons! ( @Cyteen ; to point to a precise comment in a thread, move your mouse on the date of the comment, right click, copy link.. will have #Comment_xxxxx at the end.