Skip to content

Help in deciding party members

Hi I am a new player, using a fighter and I'm having trouble deciding party mates.

I like neera, garrick, minsc, imoen and jaheira and would like them to be my party. The problem is that after I go back from the mine, minsc attacks me saying i did not saved his friend, and jaheira comes together with khalid(who i do no t like very much). What do you guys recommend me to do?

Any suggestions are well accepted since i am new to the game and might be wrong in keeping any of these party members.

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    If you wanna ditch Khalid you can either kill him then kick him out, or kick him out while he's in a building separate from everyone else. Garrick is just a bit crap I'm afraid.
  • jnalves10jnalves10 Member Posts: 24
    Ok, thanks for the help!
  • GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    Minsc has a quest (finding a friend of his) you have to deal with in 10-ingame days from picking him up or he will get very mad as you've learned :)
    Yeah hahahahaha. The problem is that i don know if i will be able to complete his quest in time :/
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Baldur's Gate is not a particularly easy or forgiving game. If it becomes impossible to complete Minsc's quest before he goes mad, don't be afraid to reload to an earlier point that gives you a fighting chance.

Encase you didn't know, Minsc, (his friend), Khalid, Jaheira and Imoen are the canon party for Baldur's Gate 1. The beginning of BG 2 makes a bit more sense if u use this party in BG 1, though it is not necessary and does not change the plot in any way.

Neera, Dorn and Rassad (and Baeloth) are new characters added to the Enhanced Edition. As such they kinda jump out at you in the game, and have more voice acting, interactions and personal quests, which makes them stand out from ur otherwise mostly mute BG 1 NPCs. However, be aware that they are new and not part of the original game, and that in BG 2, all companions 'come alive' in terms of banter, interactions and personal quests.

Finally, the most important tips I can give you.

1) Be patient. The game can be frustrating at times, but it's REALLY worth the effort!

2) Make sure you get Imoen or another thief trained up to 100 in Find Traps. You are gonna need it, trust me ;)

3) As tempting as it can seem, avoid walkthroughs. You can never recapture the innocence of the first playthrough, so enjoy it as much as you can!
    BelgarathMTHCrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Baldur's Gate is not a particularly easy or forgiving game. If it becomes impossible to complete Minsc's quest before he goes mad, don't be afraid to reload to an earlier point that gives you a fighting chance.

Encase you didn't know, Minsc, (his friend), Khalid, Jaheira and Imoen are the canon party for Baldur's Gate 1. The beginning of BG 2 makes a bit more sense if u use this party in BG 1, though it is not necessary and does not change the plot in any way.

Neera, Dorn and Rassad (and Baeloth) are new characters added to the Enhanced Edition. As such they kinda jump out at you in the game, and have more voice acting, interactions and personal quests, which makes them stand out from ur otherwise mostly mute BG 1 NPCs. However, be aware that they are new and not part of the original game, and that in BG 2, all companions 'come alive' in terms of banter, interactions and personal quests.

Finally, the most important tips I can give you.

1) Be patient. The game can be frustrating at times, but it's REALLY worth the effort!

2) Make sure you get Imoen or another thief trained up to 100 in Find Traps. You are gonna need it, trust me ;)

3) As tempting as it can seem, avoid walkthroughs. You can never recapture the innocence of the first playthrough, so enjoy it as much as you can!

And at least 90 in Open Locks, if you want to do Durlag's Tower and get some decent stuff.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @CrevsDaak

Well, the reason I empahized Find Traps above Open Lock, is that if there is something you cannot unlock, at least you can drink a Potion of Master Thievery to temporarily boost your skills, or use the common Arcane spell, Knock, whereas if you cannot detect a trap, you'd be dead and unable to loot anything anyway :D

Yes you can also use Potion of Perception for Find Traps, but it is no good unless you know where the traps are, and you won't unless you a veteran with intimate knowledge of the game. When I first played BG 1 Vanilla, I had to give up in Chapter 5 cos I assigned too many points to other random skills, cos I thought "I'll make Imoen an all-rounder thief!". My first knowledge of a trap was usually when it blew up in Imoen's face cos her Find Traps was insufficient. lol
    CrevsDaak
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @Heindrich1988 yes, totally agreed, my PC in my first run and Imoen both had points in all the abilities, so I couldn't disarm a freaking trap, I don't know how I managed to kill Sarevok, I played the game TWO TIMES with the same PC and at the end of the second run he had like 90K XP, that taught me that "you must farm every area in the game, kill all the evil NPCs while playing good, just for the experience they give good of the world" and so in SoA I was in chapter 3 with 1,7 million XP per character, also I did the first three (well, two and a half :P) levels of Watcher's Keep, what raised my XP to 2 million per character, Keldorn had lot more less XP, all the game, everyone ended ToB with 6,5 millions, Keldorn had like 4,5 :P

Also, I thought Minsc attacked me because he thought I was evil because I asked Dorn to join my party, so I loaded an earlier save and killed him :P
    Heindrich
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Had the same problem with Minsc,so i gave up on him and took a pally named Ajantis instead u can find him up north.
    Thanks for the help guys, I did managed to get the party I wanted.
    I am using a walktrough, since I think it is rather difficult to find what to do next (modern games made me a stubborn player). But it does seem a little disappointing playing with it. I do it also so I can do all the side quests and dont end underleveled in this, hard, game.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Serious hint: if you get frustrated with BG1 still give BG2 a chance. It is leagues better in story and for many people playability. While still open and some side / class quests in chapter 2 significantly more diffilcult than others I think it gives you more guidance and has higher survivability.
  • WigmonsterWigmonster Member Posts: 38
    If you want to keep Minsc and want to keep Neera, Strip everything off of Dynahair let her get killed off in battle Minsc will stay with you the rest of the game. But, if you try to split them they will leave. Same way with Khalid and Jaheira which ever one you want to keep strip every thing off the other one and go into battle let them die and the other will stay with you.

Wigmonster(Stewart)
  • dreamriderdreamrider Member Posts: 417
    edited July 2014
    Go to the basilisk park, send the unwanted pair members to scout the beasts, then go back to build the party you want, do other quests. If you ever want either of the 'stoned' NPCs, buy a couple of 'Stone-to-Flesh' and go retrieve them.

There are variations on this that you can do elsewhere.

You can also send the unwanted into an empty building that you have already cleared of useful stuff (there is an abandoned building in NE Beregost). Dismiss them there, out of sight of the rest of the party. That will convince their partners that 'the magic has just gone out of the relationship' (as long as you don't go in the building and talk to the ex-members). The remaining partners will then adventure on with you.

...Or you could strip them and have them fight Gnolls. Kinda permanent, though.