Skip to content

Dispel/Remove magic on high level casters

Is there any reliable way to remove magical buffs from high level casters except for Inquisitor's dispel magic/dispel-on-hit weapons and Protection from Magic scrolls?

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Breach, for starters. There's an entire subset of spells solely for stripping buffs without a Caster Level competition.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Bards can get a pretty mean dispel too since they level up like thieves (i.e. quickly).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    One of the things I love most about bards. I just wish it took levels over 20 into account. (Or has that been fixed?)
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    To be more specific, I fail to come up with a way to deal with Firkraag's improved haste with my low level party. I guess there are other ways to slay him, but it would be nice to know anyway...
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Secret Word, Pierce Magic, Spell Thrust, Spell Strike, then Breach.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Really? I thought Breach only removed combat protections, as well as a variety of cleric spells ( http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/ArcaneSpells.htm )

Can anyone confirm?

Or did you just mean to explain a possible way to start hurting him with physical attacks?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I don't think Breach removes Haste. Or any other of the removers, for that matter. Slow claims to counter Haste but I've never been able to un-haste a dragon via that method.

Your best bet is to tag him with a dispelling arrow, I think. That should remove it. Or Carsomyr, but since it's Firkraag that's not really an option... The Flail of Ages might also work.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    There is no way to remove non-protection buffs others than with Dispel/Remove Magic, or their counterpart (e.g. slow vs. haste, if applicable). I found the best way to deal with it is to just "facetank" it, i.e. try to live with the buff active and try to mitigate its effects rather than trying to remove it.

Only few such effects exist, though, (Improved) Haste probably being the most important one, and they are rarely used. My advice in the scenario you mentioned (Firkraag) would be to just kill him quickly, maybe kite a bit or tank with Stoneskin.

As for the protection spells, their respective single dispels take care of them quickly (e.g. Breach for combat protections; Spell Strike for spell protections; etc.) and don't require a level-check the way Dispel/Remove Magic do. That being said, D/RM do remove *everything* at once, not just a single effect, and on multiple targets, too. Probably the reason they are harder to hit with (and the reason Inquisitors are so ridiculously powerful).
    For Firkraag just buff your Mage with fire shield red prot from fire if it's Nalia she has the ring too. Add fire shield blue to hurt him then prot from magic weapons and spell immune abjure.

Should last enough to kill him especially if you trap etc,

Kangaxx is much worse.

Not sure about the level check on arrows of dispell because I rarely run with mazzy and the other archers suck.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    Items with dispel-on-hit usually don't have a level-check (Arrows, Carsomyr). They should always work.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    When in doubt, fire some arrows of cheese, (no judgement, I use them liberally myself).
    I'll have to try it with tuigan then on liches next time, gives hexxat something to do