Skip to content

Editing Imoen to single-class thief. What kit?

Hey all. About to start my Good BG2EE run, and between my PC Dragon Disciple and Neera for her extra content, I'm quite mage-heavy. So, once I rescue Imoen, I'm planning on editing her to a single-class thief. Question is, which would best fit my party?

The plan is to use Neera as my main versatility mage, with my DD being a melee-oriented sorcerer (He has 19 strength and great stats across the board thanks to being imported). I'll be having Rasaad somewhere near the front lines as well, and probably Anomen as my main divine caster.

Between Anomen, Rasaad, and my DD, I'm feeling pretty melee-heavy, otherwise Swashbuckler would seem the clear choice. I'm not a huge fan of traps, so I'm avoiding Bounty Hunter for now. This leaves me with playing Imoen as an assassin, a shadowdancer, or a somewhat-superfluous swashbuckler.

Thoughts/opinions?

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Swashbuckler is probably the only kit that really fits her. It has the happy-go-lucky adventuring rogue type feel to it, which fits Imoen for most of the saga, understandable depression notwithstanding.

Assassin is just so very not-Imoen. However, you could maybe pick Shadowdancer and
    RP the special abilities as her Bhaal powers manifesting.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    I would say Shadowdancer as well, (so long as you aren't interested in using her to set traps.)
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I'm less interested in RPing her perfectly than I am in building a well-balanced party, though the point about Shadowdancers fitting her character rings true. The kit seems a bit micromanagey, though. Do you both enjoy the kit?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I've actually never used it, so I can't actually comment, I'm afraid. =(
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    I'm enjoying it immensely. It is a little bit of backstabbing for dummies, but I tend to hide more for defensive purposes anyway.
    Edit: the Thief Controlled script helps out a lot with this kit.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    Agree on Swashbuckler. It has good combat ability and all the tricks except backstabbing, but if you don't like constantly micromanaging your thief that's not really a loss. Besides, I don't think single-class thieves really have the THAC0 to be very good at backstabbing. People usually go kensai -> thief or fighter/thief for that.

Don't the swashbuckler bonuses with ranged weapons, by the way? You don't need to keep her in melee range then if you feel you have too much of that.

PS: Don't give up on traps entirely. They're very useful and potentially very cheesy as well. I didn't really know this myself until I wiped out the Twisted Rune with some Skull Traps and 4 thief traps. The Skull Traps took out the beholder and the vampire, and the thief traps instagibbed the lich. All I had to do was mop up one wounded mage. I felt cheese coming out of my ears at that point.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Interesting thoughts, keep them coming! I may be angling towards Shadowdancers now, since I probably won't roll one myself and this may be my only reasonable opportunity to play with one.

@Kaffekoppen I'm aware of how powerful traps are, I just can't find a balance between uselessness and unfun cheesy levels of power. I prefer to just avoid them altogether.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Swashie or Bard.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Perfectly understandable!
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Hey man. I'm not sure how good your Dragon Disciple will be in melee though. Wouldn't his thac0 be so bad that he'd be useless doing damage (though maybe very good at soaking it up)?

Are you going to get a sixth character? that may be the difference maker
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @booinyouereyes give a DD a throwing dagger, and see the world, 19 STR, a TD+3 from the Underdark (that it is also fire based :P), 19 DEX to rule the world, then Fireball/Skull Trap everyone to death.
    It also gives the two APR in melee, so it is OP.

I think a vanilla thief suits Imoen better, or a Swashbuckler if you'd like, but she won't be a good frontliner, I recommend using her with a shortbow/darts. Or make her a Shadowdancer, give her what ever good melee weapon she can use and send her to backstab and then come back and use the shortbow with Shadowstep.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Throwing dagger isn't melee though
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @booinyoureyes you can change them to melee :)
  • belascobelasco Member Posts: 18
    Shadowdancer, it has a touch of magic and fits the darker attitude Imoen has in BG2.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 879
    Imoen as a swashbuckler with a throwing dagger (the boomerang dagger from Delosar's Inn, later the one from the Drow City) would be quite effective.

Since swashbucklers can specialize in daggers, she would receive the attack and damage benefits in combat, whilst not acting as a front line fighter.