Skip to content

Help me decide who to drop for Imoen...

I'm about to go off to Spellhold and I can't imagine not picking up Imoen... However, my current party will probably be in the 2 million exp range by the time I get to her, which leaves me in a quandry about who to drop...

I'm running with Fighter/Illusionist, Neera, Nalia, Viconia, Jahiera, Hexxat. Hexxat is my lover this time around so I'm not dropping her. As a healer, I prefer priests to druids due to all the undead, so I would opt for Viconia over Jahiera generally, but Jahiera is also a fighter so I'm considering whether having her wield spectral brand + belm is worth keeping her around throughout since she's probably my second best source of damage.

The ideal drop is probably Nalia, but I gave her some good scrolls already and she has level 7 spells (but Neera and CHARNAME got the best ones). Anyone have any opinions?

I do run with Nalia a lot but mostly because she used to be the fastest leveling mage before Neera. Also, I guess I'll just get annoyed with handling 4 arcane casters, so I'm leaning towards dropping her, especially since her gear is so overlapping with Imoen's.

If I do drop Nalia, I still have to decide if I do it now to get more exp for my team, or drop her later to have her help carry stuff etc.

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited December 2013
    I can dance on the head of a pin as well? I don't know, let Imoen escape of her own accord, she actually does it better than you do. Other than that, DROP NALIA. That would be the only viable option I could see for you to take Imoen.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    I would drop anyone for Imoen...anyone! My sister...my kindred spirit.
    My little Immy. I'd search high and low, bribe every thief and drag a naked Troll to Hell and back to get Imoen back.
    ...Imoen...I WILL HAVE YOU BACK!
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited December 2013
    My answer? Drop Nalia. To your roleplay? You decide.

Want the best of both words? well i don't know if any of your NPCs will do this, but when you meet Imoen in the Spellhold maze, if you say to her that you don't have room for her and that add her would harm the balance of the party, when Edwin was in my party, he always took front and offered to go alone in favor of Imoen (and what the fuck happened to Edwin there to go all sweet and good guy style, no one know).

I bet that all the spellcasters of the game probally have the same option of banter if you say the above lines to Imoen. Don't know in which order they offer themself to go alone anyway.

Anyway, in this moment of the game you reach the bag of holding, so all item space management is unnecessary anymore.

By the way @Edwin_Odesserion, explain yourself, what the fuck was that act of charity with Imoen?!
  • scorpiovascorpiova Member Posts: 87
    Its' been a while since I got that far... but at a certain point in running Spellhold a set character gets killed (might be by dialogue choices I can't remember), so I always have an empty spot for her.

I could be getting this mixed up... last time I played through my party was, Charname, Viconia, Aerie, Valygar, Minsc, and Empty Spot. So Imoen goes there for me.
  • PerkyguyPerkyguy Member Posts: 18
    since i never play a thief as main char, this decision is very easy for me - get ahold of jan and make use of his dual talents untill i head to spellhold. Before i leave, i get yoshimo, so that i can do his heart cleanse quest + convinient since i can replace him with another thief immediately ( Imoen)
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I'm going to say drop Nalia if you've played with her a lot. Otherwise, I would just opt for sending Imoen to the Copper Coronet, no idea how she gets there after you tell her to go there, and not drop anyone at all.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 887
    I would drop Nalia *before* leaving for Spellhold. Let her relax in her family's keep.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'd say whichever character you like less. But you seem to put more emphasis on mechanics so... dunno. Dropping Nalia seems like an idea though as you don't really need 2 thief/mages which you would have when you get Imoen back.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    kryptix said:

.....so I'm leaning towards dropping her, especially since her gear is so overlapping with Imoen's.

Not just her gear, the two are pretty much identical as far as their abilities are concerned. If you're set on taking Imoen along, Nalia would be the most logical choice to drop. You can leave her in the party until you rescue Imoen though, she'll find her own way back from there.

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I take Immy most of the time so sometimes I'll hack her class to something different if I have too many casters. She's kind of a second protagonist anyways... gets along with everyone, doesn't talk too much, no special features except for awesome stats and Bhaalspawn status.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited December 2013
    My 1st choice of who to drop on that party would be hexxat, but since you're not gonna do that... Well... Neera or Nalia in terms of gameplay would be the 2nd most valid choice... Though Neera might have some interesting things regarding Spellhold, haven't gone through BG2EE with a good party to try.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Yeah I'm actually leaning somewhat towards taking yoshimo for once and dropping Nalia. However she's somehow my only Mage with project image which comes in super handy. Oh well, I'm not taking keldorn this time either so I'll have to come up with new strategies. Liches are proving fairly impossible without super cheese or keldorn in this SCS + Insane run though, so losing one of my main debuffers will hurt for a bit. Does anyone remember if imoen is high enough to use whip and ruby ray when I get her back? I plan on taking her through watchers keep to level up in chapter 6, so it's not a huge deal, and the only chapter 2/3 quest I haven't done yet is unseeing eye which I plan to finish for the MOD+2 before I leave. Well I haven't done dorn's quest either.

While I'm at it, I'm tempted to release keldorn from my service this time to avoid being tempted to cheese any more since I already did kangaxx and twisted rune with him. Should I do that or only give him 1 day?

Also, backstabs with celestial fury are pretty sweet.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I want to say she either comes back at the level of your party OR she comes back at like level 12.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    I'd drop Nalia for Imoen. And then drop her ass for Jan Jansen! Woo!
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Yeah dropped Nalia actually for my last quest in ch3 as well to save exp... Thx for help deciding even though she was probably my second strongest character at this point, maybe Viccy with her level 7 spells is stronger but not vs mages who are the main SCS threats.