Skip to content

The Windspear Massacre

So for the first time ever, I decided to be contrary to the nosy Mr Windspear and decline his offer of sanctuary. Instead, I went back to Athkatla to meet with Lord Firkraag and get my much deserved rewards.

Just outside the Coronet, a squad of six Paladins/Clerics/a Mage appeared out of nowhere and jumped me! Five sets of Full Plate, some scrolls, and about 45k Exp later, and I'm wandering around waiting to see if any more turn up.

I love finding out new things about the game even on my tenth plus playthrough.

Comments

• MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Hehehe, that IS kinda cool. I never tried turning Garren down. It's neat the developers actually considered people would and put in a response.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    What happened to your rep?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Not a thing, still sitting pretty at 13 Reputation, with a grand total of 12 Paladins on my kill count after triggering a second ambush.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    i do that long time ego, reputation will never change. this guys will be atacks you when you go to athla lokation if i remmber thatright and don,t stop until you ask Garren to speek in your name. this same is when you don't be licences for magic using in city a love to sloter those mages;P but now i play with mods and they are liatel scerry so i buy this licences;)
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Wow. What happens if you do the dungeon?
    enqenq said:

Wow. What happens if you do the dungeon?

They stop coming, sadly. Considering how much cash and experience each squad of these guys was worth, I'd say that was a bad thing.

The last surviving paladin always says the equivalent of "I'll get you next time Gadget!" then tries to run away.

And yeah, it's very easy to accidentally call down a squad of Cowled Enforcers on yourself if you fight them outdoors, making for an epic battle royale.
    So is Garren's child kidnapped anyway then?
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I might have to do this just to farm some extra exp next time...
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    Dzuk5 said:

i do that long time ego, reputation will never change. this guys will be atacks you when you go to athla lokation if i remmber thatright and don,t stop until you ask Garren to speek in your name. this same is when you don't be licences for magic using in city a love to sloter those mages;P but now i play with mods and they are liatel scerry so i buy this licences;)

If I recalled correctly, the cowled wizard spawns from magic violations are not indefinite. It should end after you dispatch the last named female cowled wizard.
    Pantalion said:

They stop coming, sadly. Considering how much cash and experience each squad of these guys was worth, I'd say that was a bad thing.

The last surviving paladin always says the equivalent of "I'll get you next time Gadget!" then tries to run away.

I think these are the same paladins that get spawned to attack you when you have very low rep. The paladins spawned randomly to attack me also say "I'll get you next time!" whenever they get defeated. Not sure if their spawns are indefinite though, since they are encountered less often than the standard Amnish guard spawns. But I'm just saying, if you miss them after completing the quest... well, evil has its own set of rewards to counter the increased shopping costs ;)
    enqenq said:

So is Garren's child kidnapped anyway then?

Basically, you can later head to the Cabin, and the quest goes on from there.
    Yeah but if you do this:

Go to the hills
    Kill the knights
    Turn Garren down, and do whatever except change your mind about that
    At some point, go do the dungeon
    Kill Firkraag and Conster (the big question here is "can you?")
    Go see Garren

What then, are the minions of a dead dragon gonna kidnap the child?
  • GiladGilad Member Posts: 38
    Does anybody know, what happens, if you simply run away from the initial battle with paladins at Windspear hills and then go kill Firkraag? Will the illusion be dispelled?
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    Gilad said:

Does anybody know, what happens, if you simply run away from the initial battle with paladins at Windspear hills and then go kill Firkraag? Will the illusion be dispelled?

You won't be able to enter the dungeon.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    If you refuse Garren's help, after killing the knights, he will spawn just before you enter the dungeon.
    Telling you that he spoke with the paladins to defend you, but now Firkraag kidnapped his son.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68

If you refuse Garren's help, after killing the knights, he will spawn just before you enter the dungeon.
    Telling you that he spoke with the paladins to defend you, but now Firkraag kidnapped his son.

Interesting. I knew that there was something fishy about that wench...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Thats pretty sweet. I'd refused his offer before but I never thought of going back to the coronet.
    Real said:

Interesting. I knew that there was something fishy about that wench...
    I think his child is always the opposite sex of charname. The potency of this mechanic is however ruined by Garren's inability to teach his offspring the proper way to express gratitude.