Skip to content

Best options for Korgan through ToB?

ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
Hey everyone, I was searching for some opinions of how best to equip Korgan. This is my first ever evil playthrough and boy was I missing out! I love the evil npcs now.

Anyways, I've been using two axes with him obviously, and he has the most xp in kills of the entire party. What I was wondering is about off hands. How many more proficiencies does he get? He came with one in warhammer. While I love the idea of an axe and hammer dwarf, I'm torn by the power of the Flail of Ages. Any suggestions?
He currently has ***** axes, ** two weapon, and * warhammer.

Edit: Just checked, actually him and CHARNAME are tied in game progress, but Korgan has 40 percent compared to 39 charname this chapter. What a fun competition to have :)

Comments

• GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Defender of Easthaven, Belm, or Kundane are your best bets for offhand options. Just a single pip in Flails should be enough. DoE will improve Korgan's AC and give him resistance boosts to all forms of physical attacks, which is nice, and it fits his kind of berserker theme. Belm is a Scimitar and it increases your attacks in your main hand. More attacks are good. Kundane is a short sword and does pretty much the same thing.

You could always go with Crom Faeyr (warhammer) to set his strength to 25 but you can get that already with Berserker Rage, iirc. I think you can actually raise it above 25 by using Rage after having Crom Faeyr equipped but it's been forever since I tried the combo so it would need confirmation. Anyway with strength that high he would basically decimate anything in his path if he has Axe of Unyielding in the main hand.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Indeed, I was actually just looking at Joluv's inventory and staring at the Defender :). It was mightily expensive but will definitely grab it in 20k or so.

I actually thought of an extra APR offhand, but it just seems wrong for a dwarf to not use an axe and a blunt weapon of some sort.

Its funny I've played good so often I'm not used to how expensive things are with low rep! Its less monty haul than I'm used to, a welcome change of pace.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Personally, I like my dwarves with Axe of the Unyielding+Crom Faeyr. That said, berserker rage (compared to barbarian), increases thac0 and damage, not str. Barbarian rage increases str and con.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I am speccing him towards axe + hammer with Crom offhand and Unyielding & runehammer vs undead main. Dorn will go for all twohanded, probably halberds later since I so rarely use them. My only regret so far in playing evil is that Korgan can't use Azureedge, I was counting on that for early undead popping. I'll buy easthaven as a backup if I feel he tajes too much damage.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598

Personally, I like my dwarves with Axe of the Unyielding+Crom Faeyr. That said, berserker rage (compared to barbarian), increases thac0 and damage, not str. Barbarian rage increases str and con.

So the 25 STR stacks with berserker rage? No wonder everyone always talks about how awesome they are....
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @ReadingRambo

Yes it does, where as the barbarian's wouldn't.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

I always get those two mixed up, lol. In that case there's no reason *NOT* to take Crom Faeyr, unless you want that Defender of Easthaven. Both are good off-hand weapons, and even main-hand if that's your thing.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    The best for him is FoA main hand and crom or defender in off depending on if going offense or def.

Axe and crom is awesome to
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Might be hard to get the pips for it if you havent planned on it from start though