Skip to content

i have question about monsters appear in some location?

ok i now it is for balancing of the game but is there a whay that the monster in any location appear with max number? for exampol i fight with torgal(nalia qest boss) at 0,3-1,5 mln XP and he has only 2 trolls for help.
but now i fight with him at 2-3 mln XP and he get 4 trolls 2 youn-mage and 2 ghoust troll now this was nice fight. is there a way to get those on low XP lvl?

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, SCS has an option to upgrade random spawns. But if you turn it to the max you really get what you ask for - eg random liches in the shadow temple.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    nano said:

Yeah, SCS has an option to upgrade random spawns. But if you turn it to the max you really get what you ask for - eg random liches in the shadow temple.

random spawns is diffrent matter in subject i thinking of the monster that is summon in orginal game. now i lern to go with some location first because of thay has static monster number such as:
    Shadow thief-maevar giald
    copper corrnet- slave traders
    Xzar Quest with harppers
    Those are static lokation number of eneym is alwways the same. but other:
    Nalia castel-
    shadow temaple-
    firkaag lair-
    the apperance of enymy is dependig of you XP when you enter those location
    yesterday i enter nalia castelas as i wrote arlier have more then 2 mln xp and on first level was abaut 20 trolls to slater when standard is 5 or 7.
    that the enemy attacks me like when i go to anther lokation is diffrent subjcet. i leran when years a go instal tactiks and dragon atacks me in random lokation to watch for you ask for;)
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    @nano might have confused you with his choice of the word random, so I will try to clarify it for you.

SCS has an option that sets all encounter levels to their highest possible encounter level. That is what you are asking for.

The "random" lich only SEEMS random because chances are you have never cleared the temple at such a high level that the lich would spawn.

@nano might have confused you with his choice of the word random, so I will try to clarify it for you.

SCS has an option that sets all encounter levels to their highest possible encounter level. That is what you are asking for.

The "random" lich only SEEMS random because chances are you have never cleared the temple at such a high level that the lich would spawn.

thanks i will try that mod
    edited December 2013

i read "read me" SCS find this:
    Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings

""At various points in the unmodded game, BG2 chooses the strength of the monsters you face based on your level. Typically there are four encounters, and which one you get depends on your experience level.
    This component causes the game to give you somewhat tougher choices; there are four options available. "Mildly increased difficulty" causes you to get a fight one step too high-level for you; "significantly increased difficulty" gives you a fight two steps too high, and "almost-maximum difficulty" gives you the hardest possible fight whatever your level (with one exception: see below). Other ability-dependent components are modified in a similar way to try to achieve the same effects.
    The only exception to the general rule is the "spawn-undead" script, whose highest-level setting causes liches to spawn. SCS II liches are so much more powerful than vanilla ones that it is nearly suicidal to take them on at lower levels (at least without cheesy tactics), so even on the "almost-maximum difficulty" setting they don't spawn unless you have at least 1 million XP. If you really, really want a massively-hard-to-injure undead archmage dumping Pit Fiends and Horrid Wiltings on you at 8th level, install the fourth option, "maximum difficulty".
    This component is rather like the "always tougher spawns" component of Tactics, but it's rather more customisable (and, since modding tools are much improved since Tactics was written, it installs in a way that's less likely to mess up other mods). """

If i understand this right it no make max. nomber of monster only increas their power. or am I wrong?
  • ItstucktwiceItstucktwice Member Posts: 182
    edited December 2013
    Dzuk5 said:

If i understand this right it no make max. nomber of monster only increas their power. or am I wrong?

It kinda does a combination of both.

Example: In the vanilla game you come across an encounter at level 1 and you fight 5 gobilns (obviously a made up example)

If you come across that same encounter but you are instead level 5, instead of fighting 5 goblins, you might fight 10 goblins and 5 hobgoblins (again made up)

What that component of SCS does, is give you the option to take the harder difficulty no matter what, so when you first come across the encounter at level 1, you get the 10 goblins and 5 hobgoblins.

Dzuk5 said:

It kinda does a combination of both.

Example: In the vanilla game you come across an encounter at level 1 and you fight 5 gobilns (obviously a made up example)

If you come across that same encounter but you are instead level 5, instead of fighting 5 goblins, you might fight 10 goblins and 5 hobgoblins (again made up)

What that component of SCS does, is give you the option to take the harder difficulty no matter what, so when you first come across the encounter at level 1, you get the 10 goblins and 5 hobgoblins.

tahnks once more

now i think i understand;)

• WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    I don't really understand that component in SCS ("Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings"). When am I supposed to make the choice of difficulty that they are talking about in the description? While playing the game? Because the option didn't show up in the DOS window after installing the component. And it doesn't show anywhere in the main menu of the game. Or do they mean that it's tied to the general difficulty slider?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    nano wrote: »

Gah, yeah. My first run of BG2 allllllll those years ago, I did all the city quests before going out into the wilderness. Liches, liches everywhere.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I don't really understand that component in SCS ("Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings"). When am I supposed to make the choice of difficulty that they are talking about in the description? While playing the game? Because the option didn't show up in the DOS window after installing the component. And it doesn't show anywhere in the main menu of the game. Or do they mean that it's tied to the general difficulty slider?

@Witchfinder the SCS difficulty adjustment will make monsters more numerous, more powerful and/or more intelligent for a given level of your party. The component you're talking about will effectively raise the level of your party for this purpose, i.e. level-dependent enemies will become even more fearsome (and as @ThacoBell notes you will get lots of liches if you use the maximum setting for the component ...
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    as an alternative you can also give a try to tactics mod, it gives you plenty of enemies with a much higher level then the vanilla game, starting from the irenicus dungeon where you find a lev 19 cleric that gates in a fallen deva and a monk that uses quivering palm on you, then in the umar hills, temple ruins, instead of the bone golem you will find 2 liches with some high level undead helpers and 2 demons that have an attack that do about 1K damage (i suggest you to use some summon to take it) and if you are not fast to kill them summon a new demon every few rounds, so you can easily find yourself fighting against a large number of them.
    and tor gal? well, to reach him is not so easy as you have spirit trolls instead of yun ti, but when you will finally reach him you will find yourself...
    his helpers are a powerful army and he is not the quite easy vanilla version, he regenerates very very fast and uses a weapon that has a very nasty effect.

the mod adds also some new, optional, encounters, like a lich that attacks you after casting on himself BBoD, a gnome illusionist with 2 familiars that are good spell casters, 2 challenging fights outside WK, you will be transported to specific custom areas but the triggers are there, and if you like to have celestial fury early there is also an other guy that likes it very much and will chase you if you carry it around.

also the final soa battle is changed a lot as well as the tob fire giants.

if you want challenge you will find plenty of challenge there, in the old school way, with enemies overpowered that cheat in every possible way, and is an experience that imo a bg2 player should have at least once in the life.
    but if vanilla is 1 and vanilla with maxed level enemies can be 2 in a challenge rate using tactics mod you probably switch from 1 to 10, and if you can select which components to install, as with scs, it is probably less configurable, in scs you can have a gameplay very similar to the vanilla one, only a little harder, as well as very hard settings, with tactics everything you select will be just hard, you can only completely skip some of them. so if you will try it be prepared as is a lot more challenge of what you are asking.

(give it a try then begin with scs, that is probably the way to go now, the one that most of the players that want challenge use nowadays.
    but without defeating the acid kensai, the improved irenicus, the red badge and the rest of the tactics enemies you will loose an experience that in the old times before scs was born forged the best players and made the difference between who was an occasional player and who had really mastered the combat and magic system)
    Grond0 wrote: »

@Witchfinder the SCS difficulty adjustment will make monsters more numerous, more powerful and/or more intelligent for a given level of your party. The component you're talking about will effectively raise the level of your party for this purpose, i.e. level-dependent enemies will become even more fearsome (and as @ThacoBell notes you will get lots of liches if you use the maximum setting for the component ...

It's just that I don't know where I can actually input this maximum setting. I have installed the component, and started a game on tactical difficulty. That's the general difficulty I would like to play at. And then I would on top of that like these encounters to be even more difficult. Because the component seems to be just for that – for someone who wants to adjust the encounter difficulty separately from the general difficulty. Where can I make that choice?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Witchfinder If you installed the component for maximum level random spawns, it should already be active.
    @Witchfinder as @ThacoBell says the component is part of your installation. If you know what you're doing there are ways to tweak the installation later, but that shouldn't be necessary. Checking on the Weidu for my installation, I've got it set at "significantly increased difficulty", so I will get somewhat more powerful spawns without the need to do anything further.

The following extract from the Strategems readme explains what the component does:
    Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings
    At various points in the unmodded game, BG2 chooses the strength of the monsters you face based on your level. Typically there are four encounters, and which one you get depends on your experience level.
    This component causes the game to give you somewhat tougher choices; there are four options available. "Mildly increased difficulty" causes you to get a fight one step too high-level for you; "significantly increased difficulty" gives you a fight two steps too high, and "almost-maximum difficulty" gives you the hardest possible fight whatever your level (with one exception: see below). Other ability-dependent components are modified in a similar way to try to achieve the same effects.
    The only exception to the general rule is the "spawn-undead" script, whose highest-level setting causes liches to spawn. SCS II liches are so much more powerful than vanilla ones that it is nearly suicidal to take them on at lower levels (at least without cheesy tactics), so even on the "almost-maximum difficulty" setting they don't spawn unless you have at least 1 million XP. If you really, really want a massively-hard-to-injure undead archmage dumping Pit Fiends and Horrid Wiltings on you at 8th level, install the fourth option, "maximum difficulty".
    @Grond0 @ThacoBell: Now that I check the SCS setup it seems that my component is actually not named as the description says on the SCS homepage. It is called something along the lines of "Tie monster encounters to difficulty slider". I cannot bring forth any "Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings" component in my install. I am using version 32.7 of SCS.

Well, that's a bugger if that's literally what it means for me. I don't want every enemy to be super tough, just some encounters.

edited April 2020
    @Grond0 @ThacoBell: Now that I check the SCS setup it seems that my component is actually not named as the description says on the SCS homepage. It is called something along the lines of "Tie monster encounters to difficulty slider". I cannot bring forth any "Increase difficulty of level-dependent monster groupings" component in my install. I am using version 32.7 of SCS.

Well, that's a bugger if that's literally what it means for me. I don't want every enemy to be super tough, just some encounters.

@witchfinder OK - you've got the most recent update (more recent than mine, which I took the readme extract from) - apologies for not checking on that. Looking on the most recent readme here I see what you mean. However, the tie to the slider only refers to a sub-set of encounters in BG2, where the original game gave you different enemies depending on your level - many enemies are fixed irrespective of your level.

In addition, also note that David W has made customizing the mod easier - see the following bit of the readme:
    "You can override these difficulty settings for each component separately. A new button has been added to the Gameplay screen (on Enhanced-Edition installs) or to your protagonist's innate ability bar (on non-Enhanced installs); activating it will bring up a dialog menu that allows you to set a difficulty for each component that you have installed. (For a very small number of components, there are additional difficulty settings above INSANE: SUPER-INSANE and LEGACY OF BHAAL. These are, intentionally, only activatable using the fine-tuned control (or if you have Legacy of Bhaal installed); this is so you don't blame me when your tenth-level party gets eaten by liches using Dragon's Breath.)"
    You should therefore be able to play, for instance, at tactical level for the main difficulty, but set the difficulty for this component at hardcore (which would change the random encounters from slightly harder than in the original game to significantly harder).