Skip to content

Board Games

SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
Any fans of board gaming here? (Other than the usual Dungeons&Dragons or similar pen-and-paper-RPGs)
Any favourite games you would mention and recommend?

I keep to play these games with my friends sometimes. We don't have too many of them though.
My favourite ones:
Arkham Horror/Elder Sign - love these Cthulhu Mythos cooperative games (looking at the new addition "Eldritch Horror", but it's so damn costly)
Discworld (Ankh-Morpork) - interesting and funny, 5 stars for Prattchet fans
Bang! - quite a staple wild west themed card game around these parts of the world.
Munchkin - newest acquisition - hilarious parody of all RPGs with all the leveling, fighting monsters, getting equipment...and stabbing your buddies.

What is your game?

Comments

• Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Monopoly (I have a Chicago version and something called Anti-monopoly which basically incorporates small business)

I've played Settlers of Catan with a couple friends a few years ago. That was a lot of fun.

I want to try this card game called Cards Againat Humanity. It's supposed to be like Apples to Apples but a lot more immoral.

Other than that just the usual stuff; Risk, Axis and Allies, Scrabble. There was this one game whose objective was to build the longest train lines possible but I don't remember what it's called.

I played Munchkin once. It was a lot of fun=)
    I'd like to give the Discworld game a go but I haven't found anyone near my area that's a fan of the series =\
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    I've played Munchkin, but the more I play it the more I don't like it that much. :( There's not really any depth to the game, usually our games end up where one player is level 8/9 and about to win so everyone in the table dumps all of their buff/debuff cards on stopping him, and then the next player to get into that situation wins because everyone's out of stuff.

Settlers of Catan is pretty fun, but I've only had the opportunity to play it once.

Not really a board game, but I was fairly into Magic: The Gathering in my freshman year of college. I had a friend who lived down the hall who was extremely into the game (he went to San Juan, Puerto Rico for the Pro Tour in 2010 as a competitor) and he loaned me a bunch of good cards so he and I and my roommate would go to the local cardshop on Friday nights and usually one of us would win. This was when the Zendikar block just started, and I played Vampires which was a pretty popular deck at the time.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Try Smallworld. Quite a neat strategy game.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    edited December 2013
    @Night_Watch - try looking at some sites about playing board games. (like www.boardgamegeek.com for US I guess). You might find a lot of players around the town you are at.
    There's a whole well-frequented portal for my small country that I was not aware of years ago. And also - some of the stores that sell these do hold little conventions where you can meet, try the games, play with strangers and buy the games. (Needless to say, I was at one last weekend and bought 2)

@Mitchfork - yes. I suppose it can get old, but it's quite fresh for me now.

@iKrivetko - I might. I caught that one on my radar already, but was not really interested.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Settlers of Catan is an awesome game I was introduced to in the summer through friends I met travelling who had made their own set. It has so much replay value since it's different every time. When I got home I made my own set as well and now my friends love it and are getting it for xmas.

Our favourite game though is the Game of Thrones board game. On the bad side it's really complicated and it took us over two hours just to set up and read the rules but once we got going it was amazing. Just like the books/tv series there is always so much deception and skullduggery going on.
    @ryuken87 - played Settlers, thought them quite nice, but I've seen better games.
    And aye, the Game of Thrones is great. Everyone is playing the game, but only one can win!
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Been playing Munchkin, Elder Sign, Lords of Waterdeep, and Pandemic since I moved back to where most of my friends live.

I'm actually getting my buddy who owns Munchkin Deluxe the Unnatural Axe expansion set for X-Mas.
  • karineverchkarineverch Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    I have played risk or chess game on flashplay, both are superb board game. Risk or chess very interesting or strategy game.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Board games... board games... Hm, does surfing count as a board game? I also tried snowboarding when I was in Greenland, but quickly noticed it wasn't such a good idea when there's nothing but fresh snow. But other than that? Let me think for a moment... um... ah, yes... now I remember one exciting hell of a board game: Jumanji!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDp8r7XhBQ
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Chess.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Risk - always a favourite, guaranteed no arguments over who gets attacked!
    Talisman - entertaining but can go on a long time.
    Ingenious - simple yet somehow engrossing gameplay. only takes about 30 mins so good if you have limited time.

Stand Out strategy game - Agricola - about peasant farming (in 16th century Germany?) but don't let that put you off :)
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Ooh, board-games! My family raised me on board-games! I'd love to share some of our favorites! :)

Settlers of Catan: It's already been mentioned a few times, but this game is wonderful! So many memories! My only complaint is that the original board is too small, so we always play with the Seafarer's expansion for boats and largeness! Cities and Knights is a good expansion too. My mother also got us a Star Trek version for Christmas! Which...is just like the original Settlers of Catan... But Star Trek!!

Carcassonne: A tile board-game! Where you create a new map every time...with tiles! Pulled out of a huge blue bag! Oh the suspense... What piece are you going to pull next? Will it be a city piece that can give you points on the board? A monastery for your monks to sit inside? Or will it be another dreaded STRAIGHT ROAD piece, the things that nobody actually wants!? D: We've had quite the fights over this game, but it's still fun.

Ticket to Ride: A really simple and yet deliciously evil railroad game! We have the Europe version, but we first started playing the original Ticket to Ride when a friend of mine bought it for her father. You are a railroad company trying to build tracks from one city to another. Every completed track gets you points! However... If you do not complete your route, you'll LOSE points! Mwahahahahaha!

Empire Builder: Another railroad game (we love railroad games)! This one has tons of expansions; we have three, the original Empire Builder on the American map, British Rails on the United Kingdom map, and Martian Rails on Mars! YES, ON MARS. In this game you have to build tracks from many cities to another (WITH CRAYONS!), but you also must deliver goods to and from cities to get big payouts! We love it most for the crayons. Did I mention you get to use crayons? OH TO BE YOUNG!

Rail Baron: Our last favorite railroad game. Unlike the others, you are purchasing already-made tracks on the U.S. map, and send your train back and forth between cities. But don't ride on another person's railroad if you can help it... Because you'll have to pay them five-grand just to take it! And you'd better have a good railroad set up before they're all bought out, because then the price goes up to ten-grand! Think Monopoly...but with trains!

Tanto Cuore: This is a game my friends and I love to play. It's a deck-building game, very similar to Dominion, except instead of cool medieval buildings and people, you buy anime maids! Yes. Anime maids. You buy them with love, and they serve you. >:D Dirty innuendos aside, the artwork's really not that bad for most of them, and it's a surprisingly strategic game!

Ascension: This is another deck-building game. But unlike Tanto Cuore and Dominion, the market to buy cards is always changing! You could have a row of monsters one turn and a slew of expensive heroes to purchase the next! We've concluded that you usually shouldn't even look at the board until it's your turn, because whatever you were hoping to buy will probably be gone by the time it reaches around to you. Some people like the random (like my mother), while others don't care so much. Either way, an awesome Christmas present for myself.

The Resistance: *turns on her deep narrator voice* In a world where corrupt corporations have taken over the government... It is up to YOU to form the Resistance and take back the country! But be warned, fair blue soldier, there are enemies within your midst... Spies who wish to take you down! In short, it's a game about lying. You can play with up to ten players, it's super fast, and super FUN!

Survive!: This one gets a mention just because of how campy and terrifying it is. You and your liege of plastic people are stranded on a tropical island, but the island is coming apart. You have to use boats, or swim, to escape the island before the volcano explodes, and destroys everything! But it's not as easy as that either, for there's sharks that like to eat people, and whales that like destroying boats, and sea serpents who love to do both! This game has a special place in my heart because, as a child, I was so deathly scared of the volcano piece flipping over and revealing the explosion that I was afraid to play. XD

Titan: Looking for an epic fantasy game that takes hours, sometimes days to complete? Look no further. Titan is a game where you travel around the world and recruit creatures to join your army, so you may destroy the other titans--the other players--before they destroy you. Not only that, but once you "jump" on an enemy army, you get to play out the battle on tiled maps! There's a lot of dice-rolling involved, and sometimes it just comes down to luck... But isn't that part of the fun?

And last but not least... I also play Magic: The Gathering. Our whole house plays, except for my grumpy father simply because there's so many cards, he has a hard time focusing in on just one thing. I'll be playing in Friday Night Magic tonight at my local game store, so wish me luck! :D

(There's more... There are soooo many more... But your brains are probably rotting after reading this far down, so I'll stop here. :D)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Carcassonne: A tile board-game! Where you create a new map every time...with tiles! Pulled out of a huge blue bag! Oh the suspense... What piece are you going to pull next? Will it be a city piece that can give you points on the board? A monastery for your monks to sit inside? Or will it be another dreaded STRAIGHT ROAD piece, the things that nobody actually wants!? D: We've had quite the fights over this game, but it's still fun.

That game is truly awesome, I have that game for iPad and it's very cool. I remember when a road gave my dad like 10+ points, and I was taking all the field on the side of the road, he said "oh, that field won't give you enough points to win" then the field gives me 13 points and I win by 4 points :P

There's more... There are soooo many more... But your brains are probably rotting after reading this far down, so I'll stop here. :D)

Crevs Daak- Unaffected by Confusion, I was already rambling.

Well, I haven't played much board games but there are some I really love.

Chess, I think I've played this game so much with my cousins that not even the time we spent playing Super Mario Bros. is the half, I'm not that good but sometimes I even amaze myself in this game.

I play much more card games, mostly because in most of them you have to lie at some point and I'm the most evil liar this world met, I reflect feeling in my face despite of don't feeling them, so others don't think that I'm a walking-haired-talking-robot. But when it comes to this card games, I don't even talk, so discovering my cards is impossible as I'm a jerk and twist them so no one sees them :P

Scrabble, another game I played a lot with my dad, trying to make impossible words to make my dad look into a dictionary just for fun was a classic, and words like "oxymoron" give a nice amount of points too :D
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Aside from chess, (I went to a school where we had "chess time" in between classes and instead of recess), I also played a lot of Stratego growing up. Also Clue, Sorry!, and Hero Quest.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I played Munchkin Quest a while back at a friend's house. It's Munchkin but with a card-template dungeon to move around, most of the rest of the mechanics are intact. Good fun, and it took longer than the 45 mins or so of regular Munchkin.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @jackjack, I also used to love to play Stratego when I was a kid. I got really into setting up my pieces in creative ways to try to throw my opponent off, such as surrounding my field marshal with bombs, and stuff like that. It was a great educational way to learn army ranks, too.
    I played Stratego in the computer, I wasn't very good but I liked it a lot.
    Hell, I always centered bombs in my 1 that was always in the base guarding the flag. I don't know how the hell I realized that putting bombs in the front was a nice trick even for the cheating AI.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I need to play more chess. I used to play in math class with a friend but now the teacher moved our seats :( I'm stuck reading books in math. I've never finished a game of monopoly, we always run out of time or someone commits a felony. Scrabble is a big game in our family, too. I like scrabble.
    @CrevsDaak - I read you liked board games on iPad. I found one recently for Android - a port of a board game I briefly played on a convention. It's called "Neuroshima Hex" and it is available for IOS as well. Check it out.

@Nonnahswriter - I must admit, I am quite impressed that you know so many non-mainstream games. Although I don't know most of them, save for Settlers and Carcassone. The ones you described seem to be euro-style games about building and such.
    Please, do continue... The other spectators don't have brains anymore (mindflayer ;) ) anyway.
    One tip - I looked at that Titan game - looks like a HOMAM pre-decessor. There's a quite new game out now, called "The Mage Knight" which is also a very good HOMAM-like game, where you travel the unraveling world, recruit units, battle enemies... check it out. I have it and I love it.
    @Southpaw thanks, I'll see about it later :)
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    Unfortunately I haven't played anything outside the usual stuff; Risk, Cluedo, etc..

I did enjoy many a game of Monopoly at college, with alcohol and rampant cheating
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2014
    I don't really have a board game but I figured I'd post this regardless.

Geek and Sundry on Youtube has a web series called Table Top that I sometimes watch. It stars Wil Wheaton (of TNG fame) and he basically plays a different board game each week with different people (sometimes fairly well known celebrities and sometimes lesser known internet celebrities).

This is a link to the Dragon Age webisode but there are many others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-61i3R5y9Y

Its actually also Table Top day...which makes this post oddly appropriate.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Rainer Knizia is the name that will not steer you wrong on board games! I will call out my two favorites of his though, Samuria, which is the most delightfully balanced game I have played, and Lord of the Rings, which is a great interpretation of the books (rather than the movies) and plays best with the first expansion (which was intended for the original game until games co. kicked back that the game was too large and complex for most customers…)

My other favorite is a lesser known game called Vinci - it is all about the rise and fall of civilizations, set around something like a dark-ages Europe. Players get a two special abilities (which they bid for) to define their empire, and try to score as many points as they can (for owning territory), as fast as they can, and when they think their empire is as big as it will grow, declare that empire done and but two new powers for their next empire, leaving the old one to keep scoring points until the other players wipe it out, undefended. A play will go through 3-5 empires in a typical game, and half the fun is trying to arrange to be at your strongest when others are at their weakest (and decline/start again when they catch up!) As your strategy changes with each new empire. the game is rarely boring or static. I may be losing now, but that will all change next turn with the new empire, and its great new superpower…

Finally, honorable mention must go to Star Fleet Battles for anyone who likes the idea of captaining starships, in some detail, into combat in the classic Start Trek universe (Next Gen need not apply). Turns involve spreading the energy from your engines across various system, such as shields, weapon systems, and actually using the engines to fly ;) You track at a detail of each weapon on the ship, some of which can take several turns to arm before firing, the most powerful of which will launch as addition counters on the map that track to your opponents' ships, which may affect their maneuvering, or distract their fire as they try to shoot them down. Throw in shuttlecraft, fighters, tractor beams and other toys, and the game can become as complex or (mostly) as simple as you like. The game has been available for years, so has grown a wide variety of different ships and races to battle with - the nice thing is that every race has some unique combination of technology and weapons, so each ship flies a little differently, and it takes real skill to get the most out the ship under your command. It helps to enjoy math and spreadsheets though!
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Star Fleet Battles is a lot of fun.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I've heard favorable things about Kill Dr Lucky, which seems to be reverse Cluedo/Clue. I'm mostly basing this on Penny Arcade but they rarely steer me wrong. Any board game with the objective of assassinating a philanthropist for ages 8 and up is a winner in my book.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I was JUST at my friends place playing Settlers of Catan. We watched the basketball games and played four games of Settlers. I only won one today (stupid 5s never come). Great game