Skip to content

Recommend me some mods please!

vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
Ok, so first a bit of background.

I played through BG1 when it came out (multiple times), then ToTSC. It had been well over a decade since I'd played them, when I started a BGEE playthrough a month ago. I'm now on chapter 7 and have done the ToTSC stuff so I just purchased BG2 to continue the adventure. I found the difficulty curve really weird, in that my first level or two was very, very difficult, then everything became a breeze (Recruiting Dorn helped, that guy just chunks everything). Durlag's tower was quite good and had a few challenges, but the werewolf island seemed a bit lame.

So really, for BG1 if I was playing through again I'd want something that bumps up the difficulty a little bit and makes those outdoor areas a bit more interesting. Is SCS the best for this?
(Note: I play on core rules, I'm not really interested in moving the slider and just increasing damage.)

BG2/ToB I played a LOT more than BG1. The last time was probably around 5 years ago, but I've run through the game many times. I did mod it a bit last time, trying the tactics mod and various NPCs like Sola/Valen/Kelsey/Saerilith/etc. Of course Ascension too.

I'm certainly not the best player going around, but I'm not terrible either. I try to avoid excessive cheese in most of my playthroughs and would PREFER my enemies to mostly do the same (That acid kensai guy in Trademeet gave me all sorts of trouble). For instance I never considered it in keeping with the spirit of the game to rest and lay 30 traps in front of a dragon and instakill them. BUT I did sometimes use items like the cloak of mirroring/robe of vecna.

SCS again looks good to me from what I've read, but there are some things I like and some things I don't. Is it possible to only use selected features?

What else do people recommend to improve ai? Which NPC mods are the best?

Is anyone else like me in that they're sort of midway between RP'er/powergamer but leaning more towards the RP side? If so, what mods do you use?

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)