Skip to content

Runes in Planer Sphere

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I just did it by trial and error....never seen anything that looks like a hint to the solution.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Ahem, if you just look at the runes, like with your eyes if you know what I mean, one of them looks like a "1", another one looks like a "2", a third one looks like a "3" and a fourth one looks like a "4".

I don't know, but that might be regarded as a, you know, clue...

In other words, riddles don't get easier than that.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2013
    Really?

At least Ieast I "figured it out" that way. May be a lucky coincidence though, but a fortunate one as well! ;)

I interpret the first two numbers as roman numerals.
  • Well, to me they look like a T, a 3, Greek Pi, and a J.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    If you look at the entire symbol it's hard to tell, but parts of them definitely resemble numerals and I figured it out that way as well. It's kind of like the Rorschach test in a way, some people look at the entire picture and some people focus on a detail.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    The '2' is the real iffy one in that puzzle. The T could be a roman numeral, the 3 is a 3, and the 'J' could be an upside down four, but the U with a random line doesn't really look like a 2, or the two roman numeral. Still, if you figure out the other three, that's the only one that fits, so process of elimination and all that.
  • And it's not like doing it by guessing takes all that long. For the first rune, 3 wrong guesses max; for the second, 2 wrong guesses max; for the third rune, one wrong guess max. So 7 attempts at the most, and the consequence of a wrong guess is pretty minor.
    Going into too much detail is clearly detrimental here. I would assume that a peripheral glance would give nearly anyone the correct answer, whereas a focused gaze would only make you assume and analyze too much. Paralysis by analysis and all that.
  • Skaffen said:

Ahem, if you just look at the runes, like with your eyes if you know what I mean, one of them looks like a "1", another one looks like a "2", a third one looks like a "3" and a fourth one looks like a "4".

Dude, can I have some of whatever it is you're smoking? :)
    Clearly he's been hanging out with Zaviak and drinking some of his special potions...
    Speaking of trial and error, who else "solves" the ritual in the temple of Amaunator by putting on fire resistance gear and doing stuff until it works? I also like to bathe in the lava and dance on the trapped floor eating flame strikes :)

That's probably why Amaunator died, his enemy cast "protection from fire" and he couldn't do anything to him.
    @thespace: Not quite. I never had to guess once, it's really that obvious. (Perhaps an interest in symbols helps?)

@Skaffen: When I say "looks like", I'm not saying there's an exact visual similarity. But what you do pick straight away is that there are four symbols. The "3" is painstakingly obvious and gives you the clue to all the others.

The djinni's riddle in the circus is much much more difficult than this, although even that is not very difficult at all. But it's particularly well phrased, verbally, and whoever did it deserves a thumbs up.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    @xzar_monty Do you know your Meyers-Briggs type indicator by any chance? I bet you are an N-type to "see" this pattern. Me as an S doesn't stand a chance...

You can do a free test at

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp
    edited December 2013
    @Skaffen: Sure I do, and while I don't take it seriously (I mean it's fun, I like it, but any company, for instance, that uses it as a part of their recruiting process is in serious trouble), I can tell you that I'm an INFJ, the rarest personality type.

Are YOU Swedish, Danish or Norwegian, by any chance?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2013
    @xzar_monty German and ISTP so almost your exact opposite :) I would never use it for recruitment but for me it helped a lot with self- and team-understanding.
    Post edited by Skaffen on
    @Skaffen: Ok, thanks. Your nickname just looks very Scandinavian, linguistically. That's why I asked. I should have included Icelandic as well, but not Finnish, of course.

Yes, Myers-Briggs does have its uses as an understanding tool. Particularly between people or groups of people who have been baffled by some recurring arguments or other difficulties that always seem to go the same way without leading to a resolution. (It's astonishing, frankly, how often people are unable to hear each other.)
    You're pretty full of yourself, huh?
  • nano said:

You're pretty full of yourself, huh?

Awww, let him be a special snowflake. If he wants to think rarity of personality type and awareness of the Finno-Ugric language family are important, that's his prerogative.
    A special cookie for a special person!

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    nano said:

Speaking of trial and error, who else "solves" the ritual in the temple of Amaunator by putting on fire resistance gear and doing stuff until it works? I also like to bathe in the lava and dance on the trapped floor eating flame strikes :)

That's probably why Amaunator died, his enemy cast "protection from fire" and he couldn't do anything to him.

@nano

I solved the maze in the temple of Amaunator pretty quickly, although at first I spotted a slightly wrong path, and even after finding the correct one, I still flamed myself once or twice by accident. Oh I also almost got Aerie killed cos I assumed (wrongly) that the Cloak of Mirroring would protect against the damage.

I enjoy solving puzzles in BG, it makes me feel clever! lol On the other hand, some of my efforts (Imp in Watcher's Keep and the Circus Tent) are just embarrassing, and I become painfully aware of the fact that I am recording my failure as I play. lol

@Cyteen: Didn't I explicitly say that it wasn't important? (Oh well, it's not worth it, forget it.)

The Amaunator ritual is slightly annoying, in the sense that there's plenty of stuff to read...

It would be brilliant if the game contained more puzzles that didn't announce themselves as puzzles. In fact, the only one it does have is probably the sewer key you find in Firkraag's dungeon. When you first get it, you don't know where it fits unless you have explored the sewers in the Temple district, and that's fun.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @heindrich1988 I think nano was referring to the "morning, noon and dusk" ritual where you have to read the pamphlets (or if you've done it a million times just guess repeatedly/look up a walkthrough until it works!!!)

When I'm really lazy... I have Minsc just run through traps that I know are there but I just can't care enough to click Yoshimo and then click find traps. I may have taken "I will inspire you all by charging blindly on!" a little too literally :D