Skip to content

Should "Spiked Trap" be nerfed?

LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Currently you can stack a bunch of spiked traps in one spot and do tons and tons of damage. You can cheese a lot of fights using this. Do you think it should be nerfed?
  1. Should "Spiked Trap" be nerfed?85 votes
    1. Nerf it.
      41.18%
    2. Leave it as is.
      58.82%

Comments

• MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    Just prevent there being more than one spike trap active at a time. That way, it's still powerful, but not a complete gamebreaker.
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2012
    Nah, I'd say it's on par with stuff like Improved Alacrity or the Planetar summons. Most high-level enemies in ToB are immune to backstab, so rogues need those traps to stay "competitive" as a single class.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    improved alacrity + timestop + robe of vecna + amulet of power + horrid wilting = win :D. That should probably be nerfed too.
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 379
    Spike traps should be limited to 1 per map but do not count towards the limit of other traps. It would also be necessary to actually require a use of the Set Traps skill (instead of auto-success). This will greatly balance out the Spike Trap and make the Bounty Hunter a more useful kit.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Just about all HLAs are pretty overpowered. If they feel then need to change it, then just limit the number as suggested above.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    "Where did that thief go? I thought I saw him run around this corner but I can't see past this pile of traps."
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I think it should at least not stay around forever, like perhaps being disabled upon resting, or perhaps at least lessen the damage so that if you do stack them, it takes a lot more to take something down. Taking down Demogorgon with 4 spike traps is kind of... tragic. Perhaps even limit it to thieves only and not letting bards lay them. As much as I enjoy Haer'Dalis being able to lay down like 14 spike traps... it seems a little too... insane. Something needs to be done with it, but I don't know what precisely or how it should be implemented. I'm also of a similar opinion to the Skull Trap spell. Adding a level cap on it might be a wise move as a 40th level bard deals 40D6 with it. o_O ouch man, just... ouch.
  • bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    no need for a damage nerf but there must be a limit to the max number of traps you can have in a specific space. above 4 is a bad joke for all the fights where you can enter the room 1st and activate the encounter later(including the final ToB fight,traps remove 1 phase entirely)
  • e3r4t5yne3r4t5yn Member Posts: 42
    I'd say one who sets trap, rests, sets one more and so on is a unfair and weak player.

One spike trap per rest is pretty it what it should be.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Why would you like to nerf it? It's a fair advantage considering fighters get criticals, mages get planetars, etc...

If one relies on Spike traps to kill various Demogorgons and Amelyssans, then one is a weak player, that's all. This HLA shouldn't be nerfed.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Just limit the amount of traps are available, that's all. No need to mess with anything else.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    I'm still okay with spike traps doing the damage they do, but it's just... sooo easy to go overboard with them ><
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Ok I understand that people want to see a limited number on traps. But seriously how would that be realistic? I mean come on we can't have just one trap set when we rest. If I were in their boots, I would set traps all over the place to avoid getting ambushed while I was sleeping. I set traps to help overcome exceedingly overpowered creatures, I use traps to help quell the numbers of a large group of creatures. It's not weakness its strategy and its smart especially as a thief.

I guess to really make things fair enemies would have to step "on" the traps since they are literally the snares in appearance that hunters use in rl.

• Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    I don't like the idea of balancing the fun out of the game. If a player has the initiative to set a lot of traps he should be able to. Think of players who are new to bg1, that would be something cool for them to discover that they could do.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    There are some things worth fixing or changing, but this is not one of them.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Robe of Vecna shouldnt be in the game.. Or cost a insane amount of gold
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    Nerf threads are so amusing, especially when one considers the sheer amount of cheese one can sniff in the series. Why pick one thing to nerf, let's just nerf everything any random person at any point in time considered cheesy. And I include here people who do solo runs for a lark. Let's hear what they consider as making the game too easy and take it out. I'm sure that would please everybody.
    ...Or... how about we don't mess with the mechanics. One man's cheat is another man's strategy. If an unlimited number of traps don't make sense well neither does hitting a lich, running in the other room and resting and then going back in again. I'm pretty sure such a baddass wouldn't just sit patiently on the other side of a door and knock 'Hey I can hear you snoozing in there, stop it, come here and take it like a man.er..elf..gnome!' :P
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    The thief is a versatile class by itself which affords a great many options. So I don't feel it needs to be nerfed, because its not like people have limited options with the class (or bard for that matter, who also gets it).
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    dont use problem solved. And even if not i think fixing actual bugs and adding content is more important than tweaking a HLA of debatable power( gww, alacrity..) which will not even be available in BG1.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The bounty hunter is already a useful kit (the best single class thief period, in fact), and if you don't realize that, your doing it wrong.

Though I do agree they need to nerf the ability to arrange a pre-battle trap laying cheese. ToB went to great strides to fix that (attempting to lay a trap in LOS was considered a hostile action to any enemy it would be useful against, limiting you to 1 trap.)

Of course setting them way outside of their LOS is fair game.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Some general changes I would make:
    If you place a trap in someones range they attack you. Put some limitations to that on peasant type characters or characters that are supposed to be "on your side" so that you still can lay traps in areas where there is a mixture of enemies and non enemies.

Make traps disappear if you rest so that you can't stack unlimited traps.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Oh, my god...
    Another game will be destroyed by nerf whiners...

It's not an MMO. Stop whining.